Notices

uk turbo more bhp

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2004, 11:21 PM
bigunit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk turbo more bhp

Is it possible to get 280 - 300 bhp from a uk turbo 1998 and if so what mods and price r we talking dont want it to be to loud exhaust wise so full decat out i think. Any ideas people thanks in advance.
Old 13 November 2004, 09:14 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

It's possible to get more than 400bhp from a UK turbo but with the cats still in it will be an uphill struggle.

If the noise level is that important to you then a sports cat is an option but for serious power, you want to get all the cats out really.

Check out the features section of www.jap-innovations.co.uk. The green 97 car in there is mine, it has exactly the same engine as yours. Look through the spec, it should give you some ideas.

Rich
Old 13 November 2004, 07:07 PM
bigunit
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that will consider going cat free need to hear some scoobys with various exhausts fitted and check the noise levels myself.
Originally Posted by RICH WILD
It's possible to get more than 400bhp from a UK turbo but with the cats still in it will be an uphill struggle.

If the noise level is that important to you then a sports cat is an option but for serious power, you want to get all the cats out really.

Check out the features section of www.jap-innovations.co.uk. The green 97 car in there is mine, it has exactly the same engine as yours. Look through the spec, it should give you some ideas.

Rich
Old 13 November 2004, 08:59 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Bigunit,

It all depends on the exhaust you choose.

The Magnex system is more than capable of producing the power you want without upsetting the neighbours.

Mine was measured at 93Db's. Now thats quiet in comparison to most.

Cheers

Martin
Old 13 November 2004, 11:39 PM
bigunit
Scooby Regular

cool thanks for info what about scoobysport full system or even leaving middle section in. any ideas ... lots of people rate it. also whats that ninja bb like looks good ? thinking of pe ecu remap when i decide on an exhaust anything else to start with?

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs
Bigunit,

It all depends on the exhaust you choose.

The Magnex system is more than capable of producing the power you want without upsetting the neighbours.

Mine was measured at 93Db's. Now thats quiet in comparison to most.

Cheers

Martin
Old 14 November 2004, 12:01 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Revolution system and downpipe. Fully de-catted but nice and quiet. It still gives a lovely sound but isn't at all intrusive.
Old 14 November 2004, 01:00 AM
new boy
Scooby Regular

bigU...
i hope to crack 300bhp on rolling road on sunday from a uk my96 ....standard..208bhp.

if it works...will let you know!

ads
Old 14 November 2004, 08:28 AM
bigunit
Scooby Regular

Nice one if its well lane your going think i will pop up there should be a good selection of mods and exhausts from what i have read on here. GOOD LUCK WITH 300 BHP M8
Originally Posted by new boy
bigU...
i hope to crack 300bhp on rolling road on sunday from a uk my96 ....standard..208bhp.

if it works...will let you know!

ads
Old 14 November 2004, 08:49 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigunit
Is it possible to get 280 - 300 bhp from a uk turbo 1998 and if so what mods and price r we talking dont want it to be to loud exhaust wise so full decat out i think. Any ideas people thanks in advance.
To get to this spec and have it last, I have acheived this with the following spec.

TD05 Turbo upgrade,
Walbro fuel pump and pressure regulator
Full decat system, with a TSL group N back box (not loud)
TEK3 ECU mapped by Pat
Knocklink, AFR, and defis, to keep an Eye on things.

My car hit 297bhp on a warm summers day. The car has been mapped to keep torque down to save gearbox, as others have said you could get 280bhp from a well set up UK with TD04 and less lag.

On a quarter mile strip mine would just pip a sorted TD04, but on the road you would see nothing in it, and on some twisty 'A' roads, the TD04 may even have the edge.

Although I would add a well mapped TD05 is really not as laggy as people may think.

This spec has got to be in the region of 2.5K+, but buy second hand and you could probably get under this

Next on my list is a upgraded TMIC.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 14 November 2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 17 November 2004, 08:34 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Yep, I agree with you there Rob

Can give Rob a run for his money in mine. Spec as below :

MY00 UK
Full Decat (H&S Downpipe, H&S Centre, TSL Rear Box)
TEK3 Remap running 1.2BAR
Standard TD04
Standard 440cc injector
Standard Fuel Pump & Regulator
STi (JDM Spec) Panel Filter
Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Press gauges, Knocklink & AFR to keep and eye on things

For you to achieve 280BHP+ in an MY97/98 you would need to pay a visit to Power Engineering to get a Phase 1 ECU remap (that's the only option on a MY97/98 ECU and about £500-£600). It may also be worth changing the 380cc injectors for 440's + Pump + Pressure Regulator.

If you want to get nearer to 300BHP then you will need to ditch the TD04 and go for a TD05FE or a VF24/VF28 or VF29 (all can be had 2nd hand from S'Net or Ebay)

Oh! plus the usual Decat exhaust. If noise is an issue H&S do a nice resonated centre section which knocks a few dB off the noise levels.

Last edited by Scott.T; 17 November 2004 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 17 November 2004, 08:39 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
If noise is an issue H&S do a nice resonated centre section which knocks a few dB off the noise levels.
They'll also do you a "quiet" backbox which looks identical to the std H&S box but is quite a bit quieter. I've got one on my car (full de-cat, resonated centre) and it makes a big difference.
Old 17 November 2004, 09:34 AM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Im in a simaliar position ie want more power from MY00PPP.

However im thinking it would be easier just to swap for say an STI5....always nice to know what needs to be done if I decide to mod the uk one.

Old 17 November 2004, 07:48 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Scott.T]Yep, I agree with you there Rob

Can give Rob a run for his money in mine.QUOTE]

Hi M8, you certainly can but I am gona have to have a drive of yours sometime soon just to compare the driveability / sense of power on the road.

On the track the extra ooompph and boost to redline from a TD05 will help alot. But if you drove any scooby constantly to the red line down some twisties no matter how good a driver or how good these cars handle you will crash. So a good balance between torque and power is what you need. Unless your into track days in a big way.

[QUOTE Im in a simaliar position ie want more power from MY00PPP.

However im thinking it would be easier just to swap for say an STI5....always nice to know what needs to be done if I decide to mod the uk one.QUOTE]

I have owned a STI7 running a 1.3 bar map, and driven several STI's. Mine feels quicker than all of these but feels alot more forgiving on the road. Plus you will pay at least 3K more in my experience for an STI. The STI will likely have some suspect history and mileage. IMHO I would sooner go UK, no what you got probably with full UK history , and spend the 3K on mods to take the car to STI spec and beyond.

If I ever get to the stage when I want more than 320bhp. I will likely defect from scoobies and go back to Evo's which are good for 360bhp with some fairly modest modifications.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:02 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Quote : I have owned a STI7 running a 1.3 bar map, and driven several STI's. Mine feels quicker than all of these but feels alot more forgiving on the road.

If I ever get to the stage when I want more than 320bhp. I will likely defect from scoobies and go back to Evo's which are good for 360bhp with some fairly modest modifications.

But is an EVO as forgiving as a Scoobie ? Your EVO 5 certainly wasn't
You'd soon get bored of 360BHP and then probably be in the same situation as you are now i.e getting to the v.expensive mods for v.little gain stage.

Last edited by Scott.T; 17 November 2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 18 November 2004, 10:20 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

For you to achieve 280BHP+ in an MY97/98 you would need to pay a visit to Power Engineering to get a Phase 1 ECU remap (that's the only option on a MY97/98 ECU and about £500-£600)
ahem...
to get 300 out of a uk requires cash.
easiest way is to decat (wrap headers and D/Pipe if noise issue)
bigger turbo (td05 say)
boost control (electronic is best but Dawes devices will do the job)
fuel pump and regulator
remap (various options now, suggest Apexi )

there are many other things that will be needed such as intercooler upgrade (97 is slanty shyte isnt it?) that is where the cash comes in, I budgeted very carefully through my project and was still left wanting more at various stages (money that is).
Old 18 November 2004, 01:44 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
97 is slanty shyte isnt it
No, 97 is the first year of TD04 and straight intercooler, only real difference to 98 is the 98 has the newer dash.
Old 18 November 2004, 01:53 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
Quote : I have owned a STI7 running a 1.3 bar map, and driven several STI's. Mine feels quicker than all of these but feels alot more forgiving on the road.

But is an EVO as forgiving as a Scoobie ? Your EVO 5 certainly wasn't
You'd soon get bored of 360BHP and then probably be in the same situation as you are now i.e getting to the v.expensive mods for v.little gain stage.
Evo was a bloody nightmare to drive drive on the road as an everyday car. But also very quick and handles like no other.! 300bhp is about the mark without spending serious money, for little gain. DON'T panic M8, still Luv the scooby and not about to change. The only other car I would go from here is a Audi RS6, but sadly budget don't permit yet.