funny noise and loss of power HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2004, 09:22 PM
Hot Chicken
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default funny noise and loss of power HELP

Hi all,

My WRX 95, has just developed a strange wining noise when you accelerate hard or when the turbo winds up. I also have some loss of power but the boost gauge is still reading 0.9. I'm hoping its a loose pipe but cannot see anything obvious

Please help

One other thing I could do with is a bit of advise on is the air diverter / heat shield around the turbo it self, this is the one that directs the air down to the turbo from the main air intake on the bonnet. Its rattling like a piggy bank and I cannot get it to shut up. Can I remove it with out if effecting the performance etc...?

Any advise welcome

Cheers
Old 13 November 2004, 09:22 AM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

it sounds like your main induction pipe (the black plastic pipe that connects to the front the compressor ) is split .....its nearly impossible for it to come off due to being loose ......theres not enough room for it to move anywhere .

with the engine idling spray carburetter cleaner / brake cleaner around your induction pipework & intercooler pipework .....if theres a split the spray will be sucked in & burned through the engine ......this will cause the engine RPM`s to instantly rise .

obviusly the shield around the turbo is directing cooler air for cooling .....why dont you fix it on properly or add a couple of homemade brackets to it .
Old 13 November 2004, 07:39 PM
Hot Chicken
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobtech
it sounds like your main induction pipe (the black plastic pipe that connects to the front the compressor ) is split .....its nearly impossible for it to come off due to being loose ......theres not enough room for it to move anywhere .

with the engine idling spray carburetter cleaner / brake cleaner around your induction pipework & intercooler pipework .....if theres a split the spray will be sucked in & burned through the engine ......this will cause the engine RPM`s to instantly rise .

obviusly the shield around the turbo is directing cooler air for cooling .....why dont you fix it on properly or add a couple of homemade brackets to it .
I did as you recomended but it did not seem to have the desired affect. I stripped the intercooler and pipes off cleaned them and replaced. All seem in good nick. Since this it seems to have regained its power but still makes a wining noise?
Old 13 November 2004, 09:09 PM
scoobtech
Scooby Regular

did you check the pipe that i spoke about ....the hard black plastic 1 to the front of the compressor side ......it really does sound like you are hearing your compressor spooling up ....do you have a induction kit or standard ? ....if its standard check that your airbox is clipped down properly at the bottom nearest the engine ...............did you use the spray ??
Old 14 November 2004, 01:00 PM
Hot Chicken
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobtech
did you check the pipe that i spoke about ....the hard black plastic 1 to the front of the compressor side ......it really does sound like you are hearing your compressor spooling up ....do you have a induction kit or standard ? ....if its standard check that your airbox is clipped down properly at the bottom nearest the engine ...............did you use the spray ??
I sprayed the brake cleaner all over the pipes and it did not do anything. I did remove the standard dump valve, intercooler, associated pipes and all seem in good shape. The car is standard apart from a front cat back exhaust system and a bleed valve. All have been on the car for quite some time with no problems.

Since my last message I have been out in the car this morning and it is still making that wining noise and is lacking in power especially in 1st gear on hard acceleration.