Notices

Simple Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2004, 11:23 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Oil Question

With Oil being the hot topic on here at the moment I just thought I'd ask a couple simple questions.

The Scooby manual says change oil every 7.5K miles or 6 months. I have heard that changing the oil frequently at say 3K miles can cause glazing within the engine ? Is there any truth in this ?

and

When oil goes in its a lovely golden colour - when it comes out its black. I had always assumed the black colour was caused by carbon deposits etc within the engine. However it has been suggested to me that the Heat inside the engines is what causes the oil to turn Black ??
Old 12 November 2004, 12:55 PM
knap
Scooby Newbie

Nelson,

I will have to apologise in advance about website, but it does raise some interesting questions

http://www.synlube.com/motoroil.htm
Old 12 November 2004, 03:12 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Interesting reading, but seems to me to be a "Synlube Lube-4-Life" blow your own trumpet than anything else...
Old 12 November 2004, 03:22 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Yea Ignoring some of the buy super lube text - makes you wonder how much truth there is in the rest of the articles ??
Old 12 November 2004, 03:42 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I guess us simpletons will never truely know.

Do Synlube include a warranty, something along the lines of "If you use our oil, you will only need to change your oil every 150,000 miles. If engine damage occurs as a result of leaving the same oil in for 150,000 miles, we will incur the rebuild cost"....

I'm guessing no...
Old 12 November 2004, 07:18 PM
knap
Scooby Newbie

The answer is No because its 300,000 miles
Interesting debate on Synlube
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cave/syn-tolo.html

Synlube put a different perspective on what oil companies may wish us to believe!

The truth is out there but I've yet to find it
Old 12 November 2004, 08:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've seen that site before. I would take it all with a pinch of salt as it is intent on getting you to think all oil except theirs is crap.

However, there are alot of truths in there amongst the hype (typical USA style BS advertising ). So it is worth reading - especially over the fact that synthetics are not synthetic, so to speak.

Also the dirty oil page, ignore the crap on air filters and stuff - read the bit under "Magic dirt appears" As this is waht expectedly happens when oil meets very hot engine components.

And take note of the change in viscosity from 5w-30 to 15w-20 after this test.

This is why you need to change your oil. How frequently depends on how good the oil is, modifications, and most importantly - HOW YOU DRIVE.

Subaru suggest 6 months based on a "typical" oil type and "average" driving conditions (i.e on the road within legal limits - and not trying to do your fastest 0-60 sprints at every traffic light), or on the otherhand cold starts with less than 15 minute journeys. Drive any different to that, then you either carry on using the usually oil Subaru dealers use, and change it more often. Or use an oil that is more stable and can withstand the conditions it's used under (this is why our friends Silkolene and Motul get recommended so often), and carry on with your normal service routine.
Old 15 November 2004, 01:31 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is something that may be of interest:

The Myths regarding Synthetic Oils

The benefits of Synthetic motor oils have been much debated over the last 10 years and misinformation is rife, particularly on the internet.

There are many so-called experts out there who should know better but hopefully this post will shed some light on some of the most common myths.

What are Synthetic Oils?

Synthetic Oils are fuel efficient, more fluid and resistant to thermal breakdown, they are constructed in laboratories using basestocks and special additive packages. They are specially formulated to meet and perform to standards set by API and ACEA as required by OEM’s.

Synthetic motor oils damage seals.

This is untrue. Why would lubricant manufacturers build products that are
incompatible with seals. The composition of seals present problems that all types of oils must overcome.

At the end of the day, it is the additive pack in the oil that counts. Additives are added control the swelling, shrinking and hardening of seals.

Synthetics are too thin.

This is untrue. In order for an oil to be classified in any SAE grade (0W-40, 5w-40,10W-40 etc) it has to meet guidelines with regard to viscosity or thickness.

For example, any oil with a viscosity of 10W-40 has to operate at -25 degrees centigrade and 100 degrees centigrade to pass these tests or it cannot be rated as a 10W-40.

Synthetics mean higher oil usage.

This is untrue. Synthetic motor oils are intended for use in mechanically sound engines, that don't leak oil. In these engines oil consumption will actually be lower because of the lower volatility of Synthetics. They also have better sealing capabilities between piston rings and cylinder walls. Synthetics also have better oxidation stability. (They resist reacting with oxygen at high temperatures)

Synthetic Oils are not compatible with other oils.

This is untrue. The synthesized hydrocarbons, polyalphaolefins, diesters and other materials from high quality basestocks are fully compatible with other oils.
It is best to stick to the same oil for topping up that you have in the engine. It is best not to mix oils, as additives are blended for specific oils. When different oils are mixed additive pack balances can be upset so for the best performance, it’s better not to mix them.

Synthetic Oils produce sludge.

This is untrue. It is a fact that they are more sludge resistant than other oils as they are better at resisting high temperatures and oxidation. Because Synthetic oils have higher flash points, they withstand evaporation better leaving less deposits.

Synthetic oils can't be used with catalytic converters.

This is untrue. There is no difference between synthetic and other oils with regards to the components. Neither will damage catalytic converters.

Synthetic oils can void warranties.

This is untrue. No major manufacturers specifically ban the use of synthetic
oils. More and more new performance cars are factory filled with Synthetic oils.
Vehicle warranties are based upon the use of oils meeting specific API Service
Classifications and recommended viscosities.

Synthetic oils will last forever.

This is untrue. There are some people that believe that synthetic basestocks themselves can be used forever. However, it is a well known fact that eventually the additives will break down and cause the oil to degrade. The additives in the oil are effectively “used up” by moisture, fuel dilution and acids. Regularly topping up the oil will help but sensible oil change periods are recommended.

Synthetic oils will protect an engine for far longer periods than non-synthetics.

Synthetic oils are too expensive.

This is untrue. It has been proven through testing that Synthetic oils do have longer drain periods and provide better fuel economy. Add this to reduced engine wear and better reliability then do the maths. They are in reality better value for money than other oils.

Cheers
Simon
Old 15 November 2004, 05:13 PM
knap
Scooby Newbie

Simon,

Synthetics can last forever

Maybe with good filter systems they can last a lot longer
http://www.performancemotoroil.com/409000

You need to consider seals if changing from mineral to synth as leaking may occur. There is an interesting product Auto rx which is an ester used for cleaning engines and may also proove useful when added to Redline race oils.
Old 15 November 2004, 05:27 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knap
Simon,

Synthetics can last forever
Maybe they can but personally I wouldn't leave them in forever as the additive pack gets "used up" over a period of time.

Let's just say that they last a lot longer than conventional oils and forget some of the Manufacturers claims!

Cheers
Simon