Crankshaft Pully fell off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2004, 09:47 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crankshaft Pully fell off!!!

Bugger bugger bugger. Where do I start?
Driving home pulled up at lights , when I moved off, no power steering. Voltmeter also dropped like stone, so I thought I had snapped a belt or something. Got the car home (only 300yards or so) and had a look under the bonnet. Now I'm not a mechanic so dont know what I expected to see, but the big pulley bit lying at an angel with the retaining bolt able to be lifted out by hand did'nt look good!
Phoned the dealer who sold me the car 11 months ago and told him what had happened ( MY99 uk 2000 turbo) and got it on a low loader to his workshop.
Went and bought the new pulley as the keyway on the crank had smoothed my pulley, £115 quid!!!!!
What I wish to know is the implications of this before I accept the car back as it is still under dealer warranty, and the car was pre MOT serviced by him 9 days ago!!
As far as I know they are replacing the crankshaft keyway , the pulley and replacing the timing belt, will this sort the problem ??

My god thats the longest post I have ever typed!
Old 05 November 2004, 11:18 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

i would be looking VERY closely at the crank to make sure it had not damaged / opened up the keyway for the woodruff key......
Expensive job to repair the crank if it's damaged
Old 06 November 2004, 12:23 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

agree with what little'un said the ones i have seen have usually done some damage to the crank as well as the pully chatters as it comes loose to the point where it spins.
Old 06 November 2004, 12:53 AM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Smile

I had the exact same happen to my car. I got the crank checked for piece of mind. Cost me over £500 in labour but it turns out that it was just wear & tear on a 125,000 mile engine & the pulley had just given up! Got a nice set of lightweight alloy pulleys now .
Old 06 November 2004, 10:27 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above check the end of the crank very carefully. This happened to JohhnyR6 and ended up costing him big. Make sure you fit a new woodruff key if it's been rounded off at all and get the bolt threadlocked in next time. Johhny now checks the torque of his regular.

Just one other thing, was it a cam belt service? If so they may not have torqued it up afterwards.
Old 06 November 2004, 10:48 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

As above this happened to me a couple of months after cam belt change so suspect it was not torqued up properly , woodruff key machined the inside of the pulley so had to get a second hand pulley now use thread lock and torque it up myself . engine out of car at mo as head gasket went so want to remove damaged woodruff key to change it i have to remove the cam belt pulley , does this just pull off or is a tool required i think the damaged woodruff key may be preventing it from coming off so i may have to cut / file it to allow the pulley off .

Mark
Old 06 November 2004, 11:07 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KLR16V
does this just pull off or is a tool required i think the damaged woodruff key may be preventing it from coming off so i may have to cut / file it to allow the pulley off .

Mark
It should pull off but when Johnnys when we couldn't get it to budge. Took it to a garage but they had major problems as well. Think he was charged 4 hours labour just for that. The garage did say that the woodruff key is just to locate the pully though, it doesn't drive it, so you could leave it if you're feeling brave.
Old 06 November 2004, 02:38 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Cool Quick thanks

Thanks for all the replies, it was NOT a cam belt service, just the usual oil/filters etc. However the engine was rebuilt less than 10k ago due to the usual faulty MAF( see previous threads), so poss not torqued up then.
Went to see the mechanic today and he seems fairly adept/knowledgable about the keyway etc and is changing the cambelt as it is accessible with the rad out whenhe fixes the pulley.
Damage to the pulley is as described above, worn down when it appears to have vibrated loose.

God I love my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!