Notices

jittery clutch

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2004, 07:21 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jittery clutch

ive heard that impreza clutches can be jittery when cold...ive got an MY02 WRX, and ive noticed this...is it normal...?
Old 30 October 2004, 08:13 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Been a lot of threads on this topic, many owners have had clutches replaced under warrenty, mine judders only when cold (and damp), I'm told that's pretty normal....
Old 31 October 2004, 05:45 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

welcome to the wonderfull world of scooby ownership!!!!

regards

Jud
Old 01 November 2004, 07:03 AM
damatrix
Scooby Regular

rather then start a new thread.. i thought i would addon to this one,

My clutch isnt juddery, but in the bite point has recently moved right to the very top. And reverse is sometimes being a bitch to get into..

im thinking NEW CLUTCH needed?? But as a scooby noobie (and because i live in hope) could there be any thing else doing this?
Old 01 November 2004, 01:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Juddery clutches are perfectly normal when the car is cold, not sure about the change in biting point though.

I've also head many owners complain that reverse can sometimes be difficult to engage; I have to give mine a good shove occassionally! :-)

Best.
Old 01 November 2004, 01:20 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Juddering clutches might be normal on MY02's (like my WRX wagon), but that doesn't mean you should accept it.

Mine only seemed to do it during the winter and only for the first few gear changes - suggesting that it was temperature related.

Found out that the friction plate can get hot and cold spots on it, usually caused by crap being deposited on the plate, which causes the judder. Later the plate gets warmer and the judder goes. I had the plate replaced under warranty for a later item - I was informed that the problems had been fixed (new material?) on later items.

So while a lot of cars of that age may have it, making it "normal", that doesn't mean you should accept it.

Some have also found that full on 5000rpm launches have managed to burn off the crap that gets onto the plate.
Old 01 November 2004, 07:50 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

My 2001 Bugeye WRX judders sometimes in the first couple of minutes after starting -seems worse in damp colder weather - but it is only sometimes and on another identical day, there is no judder. I've sort of come to accept it - and have noted elsewhere on SN, many people have said that even after warranty replacement of flywheel/clutch, that problem comes back again. On the other hand, mine's still covered by Subaru Proven Warranty - do you think I might get work done under warranty through official Subaru dealer that sold me car earlier this year? If the judder gets a lot worse or more frequent when the really cold weather sets in - I might as well ask rather than just put up with it!
Old 01 November 2004, 09:03 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Good point Miniman - but for many of us who no longer have any warrenty it is totally acceptable vs spending lots of your own money on a clutch re-build!!, guess anyone who has this problem and still has warrenty should get down to the dealer pronto and get it fixed - Subaru are very aware of the problem and should do the honorable thing.