Notices

WRX type ra

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2004, 03:05 PM
barlow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX type ra

New to this folks so bear with me just bought a WRX type ra really impressed with it does any one know much about them, any thing would be a great help
Old 13 October 2004, 06:01 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do some simple homework!

Go to www.sidc.co.uk (Subaru Impreza Drivers Club) and follow the links there. You will find lots of good basic info.
After that keep on looking and reading all you can on the Snet here and after some months you will know an awful lot more!

Happy motoring, they are a great car, but Sti's are better (sorry, rather biased), and welcome to the fold.

Old 14 October 2004, 11:03 AM
barlow
Scooby Newbie

Cool wrx type ra

thanks for that mate much appreciated.
Old 14 October 2004, 08:21 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Have a look here Barlow

http://www.j-garage.com/4110.htm

Lots of info about the different models.

David
Old 14 October 2004, 10:33 PM
Snowy_RA
Scooby Regular

Things I know about them: Lightweight version (Boot and Bonnet lighter than normal). Most likely to come with no C/L no Air Con and no E/W (although mine has Air and C/L fitted) - they originally had no spoiler on the boot lid either. Suspension is different setup than standard car (uprated). They gearing is very short approx 128Mph flat out in 5th. Mine has a Z5 ECU and from factory on Jap fuel is 260ps at 0.7/0.8 bar (cant recall which). They have 2 Cat's one on downpipe one in center. Its an Import.

Things I think might be right but not 100%: Closed deck Block which makes them popular for tuning? Doors lighter than standard model? TD05 turbo?

Recommended Modifications: A ScoobyECU chip can be plugged directly into ECU if its a Z5 like mine to remap it over to UK fuel, I use this in conjunction with a J Boost controller to restrict boost to .9 bar (chip 15.5 psi 1.1 bar too much I think). Ive had front and rear cats removed with a blitz back box added. Boost controller, Knocklink and temp gauges fitted. I used Octane booster plus optimax until car was remapped (now just optimax and keep an eye on that Knocklink). Helix sports clutch, Black Daimond disks, Mintex Pads.
Mines got a H K S induction kit fitted - induction kit frowned upon by alot of people saying they destroy MAF sensors and contribute to blown engines, there is no smoke without fire so I would shy away from these lol even though ive got one.

Well thats my lightly modded version and as far as Ive gone..
Pre front decat it made 278bhp - so post should be about 293bhp (Running 1 bar 14.5 psi ish during the RR session).

Hope you enjoy yours as much as Ive enjoyed mine.

Hope Ive been of some help.

Cheers

Snowy
Old 15 October 2004, 10:39 AM
barlow
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Thanks mate know alot more now, cheers
Old 15 October 2004, 11:13 AM
barlow
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that snowy, my car is a 1992, the engine code is ej20.I have removed the second cat and have a magnex system also a dump valve and pipercross induction kit. Im using Tein in car adjustable coil overs(these are excellent). I do not know if the car has the ecu that you mention, how would i find out, and where would i be able to purchase the plug in chip to alter the fueling. Im running the car on optimax at the minute and it seems to be fine. Thanks for your help
Old 16 October 2004, 12:52 AM
Snowy_RA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barlow
Thanks for that snowy, my car is a 1992, the engine code is ej20.I have removed the second cat and have a magnex system also a dump valve and pipercross induction kit. Im using Tein in car adjustable coil overs(these are excellent). I do not know if the car has the ecu that you mention, how would i find out, and where would i be able to purchase the plug in chip to alter the fueling. Im running the car on optimax at the minute and it seems to be fine. Thanks for your help
Only way to check for sure is.. lift the carpet up from passenger floor area.. will need to pop a few plastic poppers to release.. you will be presented by the ECU being covered by a metal plate with 3x hmm it was either 10 or 12 mm nuts.. unscrew them with a socket set and lift plate off you will see ECU and on mine it had model number stamped on it Z5.

The Chips are hard to come by when I was looking, I managed to get one second hand from the For Sale section I was just very lucky Not sure on NEW availability now but used to be a nightmare lol

Cheers
Snowy