Notices

Knocklinks, NF, Optimax, Pinking, knocking, banging, farting....confusion ????????

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2004, 08:04 PM
lchris21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocklinks, NF, Optimax, Pinking, knocking, banging, farting....confusion ????????

Need to get my head straight on a few things.

Its rapidly filling up with lots of conflicting advice on what's best for my 1993WRX.

I have gathered some knowledge on the various quirks of running a Jap import, but I'm still very confused

Knocklinks - some people swear by em' others don't trust em' some of them don't even work when new (dry joints, duff leds etc).
Clarification required please. I know I should, but need convincing. I know a melted engine will be more than enough convincing, but some run without ??????????? Why,........... are they mad ?

NF - what is it ? Some kind of octane boost I gather. More confusion. When to use, every tank, every month, every full moon ? Some people don't and suffer no problems. Help please ???????????????

Fuels- Optimax, BP Ultra. Good batches , bad batches. Can I trust the RON rating. Seems some people have had problems with both. Do I need to carry a chemical anaylisis kit in the boot and try before I buy . Local filling station will soon have me moved on by the police.

I'm afraid to put the high quality Japanese AddZest radio on incase I miss the noise of my engine self destructing.

Apart from that I love my car, so want to live a long and happy life with it, but not worry every time I turn the ignition key.

FYI, engine is only slightly moddedd ( HKS induction kit and 2/3rds RS zorst)

Phew !

Cheers
Old 06 October 2004, 08:33 PM
Myk
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Welcome to scoobydom

Firstly Knocklinks

I've owned my scoob for three years, and only recently invested in a KL. The reason....I started playing with boost levels and fueling levels. If your not planning on messing with these in any way (apart from filter and zorst) then a little bit ott.

As a standard car, they are pretty much bullet proof.

NF is an octane booster. It needs to be used at every tank full and requires measuring out of the bottle (a third of a bottle per tank IIRC)
I personally use millers, because a. it's easier to get hold of but more importantly its easier to use.....1 bottle...1 tank

Fuel

I think fuel wise most of us use optimax (jap import wise) and then some use booster some dont.
Like you I've heard good and bad about most fuels, but personally I've never had a problem with optimax, car runs v well on it.

A the end of the day the car was built to be driven spiritedly?sp?

Dont worry too much about the engine, just keep it regularly serviced and it will be fine.

Above all enjoy
Old 06 October 2004, 08:55 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

"NF is an octane booster. It needs to be used at every tank full and requires measuring out of the bottle (a third of a bottle per tank IIRC)
I personally use millers, because a. it's easier to get hold of but more importantly its easier to use.....1 bottle...1 tank"

www.nfeurope.com

NF Black is good for 6 tanks, NF One Shot is good for 1 tank & throw the bottle. It isn't hard to get hold of anymore