Notices

MOT fog light worries

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2004, 12:54 PM
rorz1977
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT fog light worries

i have a 93 wrx import this does not have a rear fog light and i need one to pass an mot does anyone have any surgestions as i have been told i can just put a temperary fog light clipped on the back bumper and wired to anything even the cigarette lighter! i dont really want to install a pernamment fog light does anyone know if the cigarette lighter idea is legal or is there another alternative for just getting through the mot.

thanks
Old 04 October 2004, 12:58 PM
yoza
BANNED

So long as it lights as a fog light, and you position it in the right place, you can wire it to whatever you want.

Even a switch on the top of the unit will suffice.

Why dont you want a proper one ?

You will be able to leave it on all the time, like me.
Old 04 October 2004, 01:14 PM
De Warrenne
Scooby Regular

Are you sure you need one?

I only ask cos I thought that standards did not apply retrospectively i.e. if your car was not fitted with something that is now a legal requirement, but was not when your car was manufactured, then you were ok?

I used to have a MY63 Land Rover (with a rover V8 ) which did not have seatbelts, now, obviously you could not make a car without seatbelts now, but because it was made that way, it still passed its MOT.

Sadly the emissions did for it in the end, and that was the end of the fastest (from 0-60 - still had original gearbox) Land Rover in Kent
Old 04 October 2004, 01:55 PM
Myk
Scooby Regular

De Warrenne

You are correct, but unfortunately having a rear fog light has been the law for some time.

rorz

Best bet is to fit one permanently. Not only does it save hassle every year for the mot, but its safer and needn't look too bad.

I know of a fair few people who have fitted the thin led type light (Usually third brake light) to the lower part of the rear bumper.

It's hardly noticeable and its legal.

Mike
Old 04 October 2004, 01:57 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by De Warrenne
Are you sure you need one?

I only ask cos I thought that standards did not apply retrospectively i.e. if your car was not fitted with something that is now a legal requirement, but was not when your car was manufactured, then you were ok?

I used to have a MY63 Land Rover (with a rover V8 ) which did not have seatbelts, now, obviously you could not make a car without seatbelts now, but because it was made that way, it still passed its MOT.

Sadly the emissions did for it in the end, and that was the end of the fastest (from 0-60 - still had original gearbox) Land Rover in Kent

The standards dont apply retrospectively; your Landie wouldnt need a fog light either, becuase it was built before the legislation came into effect. Because a 1993 WRX was built after the legislation came into effect it must have the foglight fitted in order to pass an MOT; whether it was built with one or not. The above advice doesnt apply to foglights for SVA tests btw; its quite common for a car to fail because the wiring isnt up to standard.

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 04 October 2004 at 01:59 PM. Reason: innit?
Old 04 October 2004, 11:34 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
The standards dont apply retrospectively; your Landie wouldnt need a fog light either, becuase it was built before the legislation came into effect. Because a 1993 WRX was built after the legislation came into effect it must have the foglight fitted in order to pass an MOT; whether it was built with one or not. The above advice doesnt apply to foglights for SVA tests btw; its quite common for a car to fail because the wiring isnt up to standard.

Simon
When i enquired at my local M.O.T station,Thay informed me that-A fog light "MUST" be fitted to the drivers side rear,That illuminates with the headlight/sidelight switched on,And on its own switch..That can be operated independantly and illuminates when the power/light is illuminated....I just fitted mine for the test...Then promptly removed it afterwards...Becouse it looked horrid....Kev.
Old 04 October 2004, 11:51 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If only one is fitted then it must be fitted to the drivers side; if there are two then they must be spaced equally; there are other considerations too explained in the testers manual. Im not sure why youve quoted me though, as I was commenting only on whether a 1993 vehicle needed a fog lamp. Some testers are slacker than others but the fellow that Rorz spoke to seems to be slacker than most.....

Simon
Old 05 October 2004, 08:54 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

"MUST" be fitted to the drivers side
If only one is fitted then it must be fitted to the drivers side

Peugeot 206
Old 05 October 2004, 10:46 AM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

If you want a discreet fog light then convert the drivers side reversing light by putting in a RED bulb and rewire it to a switch on the dashboard.
If you do this (like i have) be prepared for people to keep telling you one of your reversing lights don't work .......

steve
Old 05 October 2004, 10:49 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

The fog light can be situated in the centre, might just know coz I'm an MOT tester

Craig
Old 06 October 2004, 08:11 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by quicksprint
If you want a discreet fog light then convert the drivers side reversing light by putting in a RED bulb and rewire it to a switch on the dashboard.
If you do this (like i have) be prepared for people to keep telling you one of your reversing lights don't work .......

steve
And that your foglight is pink, like mine
Old 07 October 2004, 10:03 AM
rorz1977
Scooby Newbie

thanks for your advice people was worried that a pernament light would look out of place and ugly but the thin red led light you mention below sounds like the best idea i dont suppose you know where you can buy this from?

many thanks

Originally Posted by Myk
De Warrenne

You are correct, but unfortunately having a rear fog light has been the law for some time.

rorz

Best bet is to fit one permanently. Not only does it save hassle every year for the mot, but its safer and needn't look too bad.

I know of a fair few people who have fitted the thin led type light (Usually third brake light) to the lower part of the rear bumper.

It's hardly noticeable and its legal.

Mike
Old 07 October 2004, 10:32 AM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
And that your foglight is pink, like mine
So you also have the special STi foglamp(to match the pink grill badge) as well then!! (it meets the requirements for the MOT as thats the only time it gets used )
Old 07 October 2004, 01:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by quicksprint

steve
i used to get this all the time

until my only reverse light stopped working lol

must get it sorted before its mot
Old 07 October 2004, 02:07 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem mate come MOT time.

Despite mine being a UK model I purchased the sti lights (clear indicators/ no fogs). I just leave the standard lights in the boot when it comes round to the test and the station is happy (once they've tested them) to leave the sti ones on and pass it.

Can you not get some UK lights as spares or borrow a set for the MOT? Or is the wiring completely different? Mind you the jap spec sti went straight on mine.

Just a thought..........................
Old 03 September 2005, 10:23 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

So where can you get the thin LED light for a fog light ?

Nate.