Oh no panic purchased a Legacy Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2004, 08:48 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Oh no panic purchased a Legacy Turbo

Hi,

I'm getting a Legacy 2.0 ltr Turbo tomorrow, all being well. A motorway smoker, as the miles are clocking up on the RB5 It's a L reg saloon in white!!

Mods so far are :-

Cracked windscreen
Dawes MBC
AFM
Knocklink
Boost gauge
H and S exhaust
HKS SSQV D/V
Impreza Steering rack
TD05 (modified from Japan) Turbo
16 Inch Impreza wheels
Prodrive springs
Rebuilt gearbox with uprated 3rd gear
Closed deck heads

Told it's around 250 BHP

What should I consider next?

Droplinks ??
ARB ??
Uprated bushes ??
Can I get the car chipped??
4 pots, I guess??

Bump steer (powerstation) can this be done??

Flamer kits is a must

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Phill
Old 02 October 2004, 09:19 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Big time uprate the supsension best you can! Mine was a bit pants at going rould corners when i first had it!

Great car though, you will enjoy!

Comper100
Old 02 October 2004, 09:26 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comper100
Big time uprate the supsension best you can! Mine was a bit pants at going rould corners when i first had it!

Great car though, you will enjoy!

Comper100
I quite fancied the boat effect for a while. My RB5 has coilovers, strutt braces, droplinks, whiteline adjustable ARB, bumpsteer, etc and handles like it on rails.....

I do like the Cossie sort of wallowing... Do you know if I can use Impreza suspention?

Cheers Phill
Old 02 October 2004, 09:35 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Yep all fits mate, engine bits the lot, i have a set of STI RA struts to go on mine just a soon as i find some rears to match them!

Comper100
Old 02 October 2004, 10:23 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comper100
Yep all fits mate, engine bits the lot, i have a set of STI RA struts to go on mine just a soon as i find some rears to match them!

Comper100
Hmm think I got a couple of sets of RB5 suspension to try on it then.... I'm going to get droplinks as well then....Oh no off to powerstation to spend loads. Are the ARB and mounting points the same as Impreza?

I really only bought the car, so I can take the RB5 off the road and fit a 2.5 short engine, FMIC and new turbo but I think I'm going to enjoy doing cossies, etc in it

Can't wait

Phill
Old 02 October 2004, 11:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KYB adjustables shocks work well on the Legacy. Phill, my mechanic and I are planning a joint 400 BHP 2.5 Legacy turbo project for the winter, just collecting the last bits now. Something along the lines of - in no particular order...

seam weld, strut braces, 2.5 EJ257, 98 UK heads, manifold, exhaust, big K&N cone in the wing on the end of a load of plastic drainpipe, 20G, 440cc modified MY00 UK injectors at silly fuel pressure, S-AFC, knocklink, boost gauge, setup with wideband, remount MAF in some larger bore plastic drainpipe from B&Q - really, KYB shocks, stiffer springs, STi 6 5 speed box with taller diffs, AP clutch, keep the chargecooler, DIY FCD, methanol, Porsche brakes.

Aim is to be a v. cheap 400 BHP/350-400lbft shed I can learn to oversteer in at Knockhill, and in which Job will be able to pass just about any road car in at Knockhill. M/RS/911 eater as well
Old 02 October 2004, 11:36 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
KYB adjustables shocks work well on the Legacy. Phill, my mechanic and I are planning a joint 400 BHP 2.5 Legacy turbo project for the winter, just collecting the last bits now. Something along the lines of - in no particular order...

seam weld, strut braces, 2.5 EJ257, 98 UK heads, manifold, exhaust, big K&N cone in the wing on the end of a load of plastic drainpipe, 20G, 440cc modified MY00 UK injectors at silly fuel pressure, S-AFC, knocklink, boost gauge, setup with wideband, remount MAF in some larger bore plastic drainpipe from B&Q - really, KYB shocks, stiffer springs, STi 6 5 speed box with taller diffs, AP clutch, keep the chargecooler, DIY FCD, methanol, Porsche brakes.

Aim is to be a v. cheap 400 BHP/350-400lbft shed I can learn to oversteer in at Knockhill, and in which Job will be able to pass just about any road car in at Knockhill. M/RS/911 eater as well

Lol, great mind think alike Not going to worry about the paintwork on it, but want it fast.

Got a spare WRX engine (that I bought a year ago) that I'll probably put in temporary while I remove the heads. Need them for my RB5

Lol, and I got to get a flamer kit!!!

Phill

PS What can I do about getting it mapped?
Old 02 October 2004, 11:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might not need it mapped, depends on exact plans. Alternatively a PowerFC would be a good choice.
Old 02 October 2004, 11:58 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by john banks
You might not need it mapped, depends on exact plans. Alternatively a PowerFC would be a good choice.
Not sure of what to do with it. Think I'll just drive around in it for a bit, and do the ICE first. Might get the windows tinted as well

What's a PowerFC and where do I get one. Is this a piggyback chip?

Cheers Phill

PS Just a shame it's not an estate really
Old 03 October 2004, 12:34 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I would go for a VOS chip from Australia!
Old 03 October 2004, 01:21 AM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Blimey, sounds like some serious leggy action going on here! Theres me wondering whether to fit a dawes device or not!

Comper100
Old 03 October 2004, 09:12 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Talking

Picked her up today and what can I say....Lol, lovely, no tax (that will be sorted tomorrow) and two dodgy tires, but apart from that looks good.

Engine doesn't look nothing like my RB5, it's got a charge cooler? Drives nice thought. Was wet today and wanted to try her out, but thought I better not. Interior is nice, lol. Loads of room in the back for my girls.

Fast, well in a few months you may see

Phill
Old 04 October 2004, 11:29 PM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by babber
Picked her up today and what can I say....Lol, lovely, no tax (that will be sorted tomorrow) and two dodgy tires, but apart from that looks good.

Engine doesn't look nothing like my RB5, it's got a charge cooler? Drives nice thought. Was wet today and wanted to try her out, but thought I better not. Interior is nice, lol. Loads of room in the back for my girls.

Fast, well in a few months you may see

Phill
Yep seems like we all got the same plan then...big bore cheapo leggy's with huge bang per buck

I got one with VOS chip, GGR intake, T-Back 4" pipe, cold air intake sytem etc, etc. its close on 300 bhp at over 18psi at the mo and flying. Just about to throw a new motor in it and build a big bore.

They are still one serious car...

Best advice i can give is to get the VOS chip in before you do any thing else, the differance is well, remakable, you simply wont believe it. about 150 UK should give you over 270bhp, and drveability is massively improved.

Enjoy
Old 05 October 2004, 09:48 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sideforce
Yep seems like we all got the same plan then...big bore cheapo leggy's with huge bang per buck

I got one with VOS chip, GGR intake, T-Back 4" pipe, cold air intake sytem etc, etc. its close on 300 bhp at over 18psi at the mo and flying. Just about to throw a new motor in it and build a big bore.

They are still one serious car...

Best advice i can give is to get the VOS chip in before you do any thing else, the differance is well, remakable, you simply wont believe it. about 150 UK should give you over 270bhp, and drveability is massively improved.

Enjoy
Where do I get a VOS chip from then?? And could someone explain a little what it is / and or what it does?

Thanks Phill