Big chunk of Rust!!!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2004, 07:47 PM
rossd0131
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Big chunk of Rust!!!!! HELP

Hi guys,

dunno if anyone remembers but I asked a while ago for tips on picking a good WRX....Well, I've gone and bought one (MY1994 WRX wagon, import). Its in really good condition apart from some rust at the base of the nearside front, under the radiator.

Its almost under the battery and there is no sign of rust anywhere else. I'm guessing that its been caused by some battery acid being washed down or similar. My question is, has anyone come across this before and if so, how did repair it? how much did/should it cost etc.

The car is due an MOT next week, I realise that i have not posted any pics, but do you think it would fail on this alone? The reason I asked is because it looks like the rusty section is part of the front subframe.

Please help if you can....also, how do I go about joining the members club now that I finally have a Scoob?
Old 02 October 2004, 08:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

For it to fail on structural rust, it must be rusted to the extent that you can poke a screwdriver through it.

I'm not sure exactly where you mean. Do you mean the main chassis leg or the front valance/inner bumper area. One is structural, the latter isn't.

Tapping with a hammer or the handle of a screwdriver and listen to the noise, a hollow noise is good and dull thud is bad.

I'd very much doubt that it will be that bad, hopefully surface rust
Old 02 October 2004, 08:47 PM
rossd0131
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ALi-B
For it to fail on structural rust, it must be rusted to the extent that you can poke a screwdriver through it.

I'm not sure exactly where you mean. Do you mean the main chassis leg or the front valance/inner bumper area. One is structural, the latter isn't.

Tapping with a hammer or the handle of a screwdriver and listen to the noise, a hollow noise is good and dull thud is bad.

I'd very much doubt that it will be that bad, hopefully surface rust
thanks for getting back to me mate, hopefully it will help for me to explain where the rust actually is. Have a look at the photo (borrowed from another thread, thanks )

if you look at the very bottom of the front of the car you can see the lower section that runs under where the radiator would be. The rust is on this section right next to the nearside lower radiator mount, the one on the right of the photo (i think thats what you call it ).

The rust is bad enough in a small area that I have pushed the tip of my finger through it . I have given it a good bash and it is totally solid, there is no movement in the radiator etc.

What do you think? MOT0 fail?

Last edited by rossd0131; 02 October 2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02 October 2004, 10:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ahh I know where you mean. They are prone rust there along that lower cross section. It's not a main structural component of the car (thet's the job of the inner bumper - not shown in the pic). So it would be a very picky MOT inspector to fail it. TBH I doubt he would notice it!

To repair, is simply a case of patching the hole, obviously it depends how easy it is to get the mig welder in there to do it, so it would probably need the radiator an bumper taken off. Cost well, depends who does it. It's purely a labour task so it's down to whatever hourly rate its charged at.
Old 02 October 2004, 10:49 PM
rossd0131
Scooby Newbie

thanks very much for your help mate, i owe you one

I can sleep easy now knowing that it should get through its MOT safely. Its still strange though, the rest of the car is in very good condition.

Another one for you I noticed when I was investigating the rust..... The sensor on the exhaust near to the turbo (O2 sensor i think) is not connected to anything, the wire has a cut, unsure if its been done intentionally or just snagged while the previous owner was working on it. I did a diagnositic, code 32 came up and seemed to confirm this. What side effects and problems will this cause and is it worth replacing the sensor (if so, how much)

Sorry to be a pain and ask loads of questions on my first day of ownership
Old 02 October 2004, 11:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

No worries, happy to help

That is the o2 sensor. Fault 32, would be for that too. It's there to control the fuel mixture so you may have a problem with the MOT emissions-wise without it working.

Can you solder the broken wire back together. Shouldn't be hard to do. Unless the wire was cut because the sensor was faulty, which your guess is as good as mine!