Help - Won't Start (sometimes)

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2004, 07:48 PM
BlackWrxScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Won't Start (sometimes)

I need advice,

Went out to the car and when I tried to start her all I got was a click, dash lights went dim and nothing else so I walked to work cursing her.

When I came home tried her it just clicked again but on the second try she turned over fine and started. Drove to the petrol Station and when I tried to start her she just clicked again but again on the second attempt she started.

This morning it done the same but this time wouldn’t start on the second, third, fourth……….. so walked to work again cursing her. When I came home tonight I tried and it started first go.

I thought the battery was knackered so went to Halfords (for the free check) and everything was fine, 13.45volts and when running with lights, blower, rear heated window and spot lights the Alternator was generating bucket loads of electricity.

Can anyone help? Symptoms again is one loud click (as if the starter motor about to turn) dim dash lights, sometimes on second attempt everything works as normal.

Cheers in advance.
Old 29 September 2004, 10:32 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

sounds like the starter itself mate,not throwing out and engaging.
Old 29 September 2004, 11:12 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

The click suggests the solenoid in the starter is engaging. If the battery is flat you might have an intermittent electircal fault which is draining the battery at random times. I expect the Halfords test showed nothing was drawing down the battery when off?

MB
Old 30 September 2004, 04:09 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you need a new battery..
Old 30 September 2004, 10:50 PM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night

I don't know how effective the Halfords test was, did they turn car off and do a load test then to see if battery holds charge?

As JGM says, most likely cause is battery now weather is a bit colder and damper.

I had a similar problem some years ago, not on a scoob, but by bringing a fresh live via a relay straight from battery to starter it cured the problem.
I took the live that feeds starter from ignition system now and used that as the switching input to the relay and then the live from battery went straight to the starter, this cured my problem then.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Richard
Old 01 October 2004, 07:05 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Before buying a new battery check it isn't just a crap earth to the starter motor. Get a jump lead and clip one end on the starter motor casing, clip the other end on the battery negative terminal, then try starting it.

Poor earthing often shows itsself with starting problems because the starter draws more amps than anything else on the car.

If it aint that, do what them others suggested up there ^^^^
Old 01 October 2004, 08:33 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally
I don't know how effective the Halfords test was, did they turn car off and do a load test then to see if battery holds charge?

As JGM says, most likely cause is battery now weather is a bit colder and damper.

I had a similar problem some years ago, not on a scoob, but by bringing a fresh live via a relay straight from battery to starter it cured the problem.
I took the live that feeds starter from ignition system now and used that as the switching input to the relay and then the live from battery went straight to the starter, this cured my problem then.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Richard
Had a similar problem on one car myself.. It only did it sometimes, so i put a wire from the starter to the battery and taped it out of the way and if it didn't start I used to turn ignition on and touch the wire on the battery and away she went.. most embarressing was on a first date when the car wouldn't start.. lol.. oops just a minute.. opens bonnet and starts engine and jumps back in.. luckly she did believe me when I said I hadn't stolen the car.. lol