Notices

ECU fault code 12 ??

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 07:18 PM
MBScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU fault code 12 ??

Car is MY98 with full decat and induction kit.
Over the last few days the car has felt like it has been misfiring slightly upto 3k revs when the engine is cold. Also the fumes coming out of the exhaust constantly smell very strong as though the car is running very rich. Now the lambalink is showing the green lights alot more under normal driving conditions.
Just ran the fault code diagnosis and the fault light is saying Code 12 which is apparently the Starter Switch or circuit. what the f*** does this mean. The car starts fine.

In the past week the car has also had a new cluth and flywheel, the earthing mod and a cold air feed to the induction kit.

Anyone with any ideas? My first thought was the Lamba Sensor but not after code 12

cheers in advance

martin
Old 27 September 2004, 11:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen several cars of various years with a code 12, I think it might be immobiliser related since they all started fine as well.

Whilst a code 12 can give no trouble, conversely, a lambda failure may give no code at all. And with recent work, disturbing the lambda sensor/downpipe could have damaged the sensor.

Alternatively, changes in laminar flow across the MAF sensor with induction changes could be causing fuelling errors.

Lighter flywheel can exacerbate the cold hunting you get when the car goes into closed loop lambda control early to satisfy emissions regs.

Are you getting the usual up/down regularly on cruise on the lambda link?

You could unplug the lambda sensor temporarily and see if the hunting goes away when cold on light throttle. Hunting can be worse on a tired old lambda sensor even if it still works and goes into closed loop some of the time, and if you are still on the original lamba sensor it could well be past its best.

So there are a few too many things at once going on, need to see the car really.
Old 28 September 2004, 10:06 AM
MBScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers John
Yes I am getting the usual up/down regularly on cruise on the lambda link but now it is going into the green leds much more.

Think I will try an ECU reset and get a Lambda sensor.
Any ideas on where to get a sensor from ?
Old 28 September 2004, 11:40 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a wire in generic Bosch one, or the Subaru one with the proper plug (three times the price).