Notices

Help type ra emmisions too high

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 10:00 AM
DGAS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help type ra emmisions too high

Help we have a type ra with various mods (F-Con ecu, boost controller, front mounted intercooler & induction kit) we can't get it through the mot on the emmisions. on tic over the reading is 6% but at 1500 revs it goes down to 1 % . the lander sensor has been changed ecu re-set HELP any ideas?
Old 27 September 2004, 10:13 AM
jonah-ra
Scooby Regular

I had the same trouble last week on my 94 ra, with tick over at 8%.

Changed plugs, cleaned air filter warmed car up for 15 mins before hand then when i got to mot station he waited while i held car at 3000 rpm for a few mins and got co down to 0.05%, still not low enough, so I got my road car connected that up to the machine and he presto, it passed.....

Some body did say that unpluging the fith injector does help on the MOT but most people on here say it doesn't do anything so i didn't bother with this but maybe worth a try?

jonah

p.s. Mine has an apexi power fc and a few small mods
Old 27 September 2004, 10:27 AM
Myk
Scooby Regular

If you've got an adjustable boost and fuel gizmos, then turn them right down.

I managed to get mine through with 0.00% CO2

The car will run like a bag of gutless poo, but its only for 30 min

Mike
Old 27 September 2004, 10:36 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Make absolutely certain that there are no exhaust leaks, only takes a very small leak to screw up the readings. Check the backbox in particular.

Les
Old 27 September 2004, 02:29 PM
DGAS
Scooby Newbie

Thanks have fitted a new air filter & exhaust is new ish will change the plugs & try the 5th intector as have now got an emissions tester of a mate so can test it at home
Old 27 September 2004, 02:58 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a stupid question, bnut I assume it still has a cat fitted (in the downpipe)?
Old 27 September 2004, 08:28 PM
DGAS
Scooby Newbie

Have tried it with the cats on and off it makes little difference my terzo with no cats on it and the emmisions are down to under 1%

Last edited by DGAS; 27 September 2004 at 11:57 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2004, 12:01 AM
DGAS
Scooby Newbie

Have now tried the plugs and little difference thanks for the help so far!!! does anyone have any further ideas or will i have to take it to the nearest dealership??(thats if they will touch it!)
Old 28 September 2004, 12:28 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally you'd want to see the reading the ECU is receiving from the sensors. Something like a Select Monitor or Delta Dash would be ideal - do you have anything that can read the F-Con ECU values from the sensors ????

Something's really wrong if the cat's don't make much difference. My MY99 UK is well over without any cats, but adding a std catted centre and the emissions drop well below MOT test standards.

Common cause of high emissions are Lambda sensor failure, failed/worn catalyst or even a dodgy MAF sensor.

Do you have any gauges installed? Most valuable one would be an Air/Fuel gauge, but that may just confirm it's running too rich (high emissions would back that up). Wouldn't tell you why though. Really need to check ECU values to have an idea why it's running rich.

Sorry, no expert but you need to see if it's overfuelling or the catalyst(s) aren't doing their job.

Stefan
Old 29 September 2004, 10:16 PM
DGAS
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all your help have a new lambda sensor checked exhaust no leaks. The only gauges we have are Boost & EGT no other way of monotering anything, there are no faults loged on the ecu could the MAF be sending just bad signals and NOT regester a fault on the ecu as TDI's advised this can happen but verry rair does any one know if this could be a prob? as the MAF is around £300 (a lot of money if it don't fix the prob!!)
We have also bought a hudge cat and welded it to the origonal center cat pipe but still cant get the emissions below 6% Any other ideas THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 29 September 2004, 11:17 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I had this from a failed MAF, on MY99. Suspect that is your problem and may be caused by the induction kit.

What MY is the car?

I believe there is a sneaky way round this involving the vac pipe - but im not recommending it

MB