Notices

water injection - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2004, 10:56 AM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water injection - worth it?

i have been offered a w/i aquamist kit. its the version 1 as seen on power engineerings site.

http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/ac...waterinjection

my 93 wrx wagon runs afull scoobysport decat, fmic, 550 injectors, walfro, fse reg and soon to be apexi, although running scoobyecu stylee at the moment. i can get the kit pretty cheap, but just wonder if it is worth having or whether or not i am just unable to resist a bargain. i guess from a safety point of view its cool, but overall should i just spend my money on something else?
Old 22 September 2004, 11:19 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

It does help in suppressing DET - I am using it with a scoobyecu but have mapped it for use with the WI so to get the best from it with good results so far with more to come

Cheers

Last edited by Delboy2; 22 September 2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 22 September 2004, 11:40 AM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

thanks Del,

still undecided though...
Old 22 September 2004, 11:59 AM
SVVG
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know of there's much to be gained by fitting a water injection kit when you've already got a FMIC. I think the inlet temps will be sufficiently low anyway so as to reduce the occurance of pre-det?

Not sure whether any mappers can put in a more aggresive map than you might already be able to run with just the FMIC - so probably wise to find this out - unless you're experiencing knocking at the mo? (have you got a knocklink?)
Old 22 September 2004, 02:31 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

i have a k/link and you are right about the charge temps being low due to the i/c. i did have a inlet temp gauge for a while just to see what i was getting. it was in the low 20's on cruise and just over 30 degrees c on a hard charge all the way thru the gears. this was in the height of summer. its now lower due to the season change, more like 15/16 degrees on cruise and 20's on a charge.

i think its unnecassary really, its just that i could get it at a good price. i have no det so probably not worth it and i ain't altogether happy with mapping more aggressively using it. recipe for melted pistons it if stops sorking or ran out of water IMO!
Old 22 September 2004, 03:46 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

If you do track day's or sprinting I'd recomend having it, and not mapping for it. This will loose you power though.

If you had an ecu like gems with switchable maps, you could map it aggresively, put a flow sensor in the line and a small logic circuit to switch to the safe map should the flow stop.

If you use it boost activated alone it uses a lot of water. I have it on mine, but think the money would have been better spent elsewhere as I hardly ever use it.

Dave