Tek 3 remap on a P1 or Sti V

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2004, 05:52 PM
AndyScoobs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tek 3 remap on a P1 or Sti V

A few questions about a Tek 3 remap :

1. P1 ECU has basic Sti 5 map with better knock detection. So will a remap make it get more power from UK fuel, run safer and better fuel economy?

2. What do they actually do. Am I right in thinking they rewrite to the original ECU or is it a piggy back type chip?

3. Should I get the 3 port solenoid for boost when just running with STI panel filter, Blitz back box? Will I need a fuel pump and regulator?

4. Are BR Developments the best place to get it done. Bearing in mind I live near Richmond upon Thames?

5. Do we think its the original mapping for the STI 5 which is killing these P1 engines?

Cheers

Andy
Old 21 September 2004, 05:57 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyScoobs

1. P1 ECU has basic Sti 5 map with better knock detection. So will a remap make it get more power from UK fuel, run safer and better fuel economy?

2. What do they actually do. Am I right in thinking they rewrite to the original ECU or is it a piggy back type chip?

3. Should I get the 3 port solenoid for boost when just running with STI panel filter, Blitz back box? Will I need a fuel pump and regulator?

4. Are BR Developments the best place to get it done. Bearing in mind I live near Richmond upon Thames?

5. Do we think its the original mapping for the STI 5 which is killing these P1 engines?

Cheers

Andy
3=no
4= there are others ...but some favour BR
5=no for sure
Old 21 September 2004, 08:46 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyScoobs

Cheers

Andy

HOL Thinks:

1. Definitely,
2. No, they just adjusted that one parameter
3. Not for that, but you get better boost control and hence a smoother map
4. They did my car and I have no complaints, but if you do go elsewhere, make sure it is 'real world' road and not 'rolling' road mapped. (mapped on the road!)
5. Basically you have a powerful one size fits all 100ron map with quite a bit of advance, Prodrive increased the knock sensitivity to help with this. Most problems seem to occur after a prolonged thrash on the motorway or track.

If you want comfort, buy a cushion. If you want to make sure, have it mapped for the fuel you use.
Old 21 September 2004, 11:30 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I woudn't be too sure about that one, remember, Prodrive were not involved in the mapping of the P1 form waht ive heard. Rumour is that the P1 and STi map are very similar, except for the broquet being bunged in the tank of the P1

2) Yep, they use the same ECU but adjust certain parameters.

5) Id say yes. My personal opinion is that many people buy an STi5/6 and run them on SUL and do some mild mods. These MY are know to have iffy mafs.

You can sort of get away with it for a while on a UK car, but add a 100 ron STi map, an underfuelling MAF, some basic mods and you have a big problem. Equally, unmodded STi / P1's can suffer the same fate from lack of quality fuel and a dicky MAF.

I bet if you took a brand new one and removed the MAF (via Link eco etc) it would be fine

MB