Notices

Clutch judder - can someone please explain.

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 05:12 PM
Mister_DJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch judder - can someone please explain.

Over the last few weeks my bugeye WRX has started to get clutch judder when starting off from cold. I've seen a few posts on here before about this and wondered how common it is?

Please could someone explain in layman terms what causes it and does this mean that my clutch is on the way out?

Thanks, DJ.
Old 20 September 2004, 07:18 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine judders low down the rev range and vibrates when on the move?
Old 20 September 2004, 07:24 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Mine too...think i may have something to do with the clutch plate..??
Old 20 September 2004, 08:53 PM
Gaz P
Scooby Regular

And mine, but only when cold
Old 20 September 2004, 09:00 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by Gaz P
And mine, but only when cold
yep i think all scoobs suffer with it - i think you can get your flyweel replaced and this is supposed to help but dont quote me on that

regards

Jud
Old 20 September 2004, 09:02 PM
Mister_DJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the comments guys.

Can anyone else offer a reason why they do it?

DJ.
Old 20 September 2004, 09:17 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

would a dealer replace the clutch/ flywheel if the cars out of warranty (mines 2001) if it's a recognised problem?

Trending Topics

Old 21 September 2004, 09:11 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

btt - mine did it yesterday when cold; felt very agricultural! What is it?

Mines 5yrs old and has done 30k - could be a worn clutch friction plate quite easily...

Have your bugeyes got much milage/hard use
Old 21 September 2004, 11:33 AM
Mister_DJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
btt - mine did it yesterday when cold; felt very agricultural! What is it?

Mines 5yrs old and has done 30k - could be a worn clutch friction plate quite easily...

Have your bugeyes got much milage/hard use
Not really, It's done 25k miles in 3yrs and never been near a track / sprint.

I haven't spoken to a dealer about out of warranty replacement yet - I wanted to understand the problem a bit better first.

Thanks for comments, DJ.
Old 21 September 2004, 12:31 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Extremely common. A lot were replaced under warranty if excessively bad.

I recently upgraded my clutch to an AP Organic and thankfully the judder is a thing of the past plus the car drives exactly the same.
Old 21 September 2004, 01:47 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

From what I remember the friction plate material picked up loads of crap and then developed hot and cold spots (should be a uniform temperature). This caused judder.

My MY02 did it from about 10k miles and only for the first few miles and only during Winter (suggesting it was temp related).

I had it replaced under warranty at 30k, but don't leave it too long as about 30k ish you are looking at them rejecting the claim as normal wear and tear.
Old 21 September 2004, 03:43 PM
Mister_DJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks again everyone. Guess I need to talk to a dealer first and find out what the score is about replacement.

DJ.
Old 21 September 2004, 08:06 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

If you drive your car reverse for long distance helps a lot to reduce the juddering.
JIM
Old 21 September 2004, 08:22 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

If you drive your car reverse for long distance helps a lot to reduce the juddering.

great, i can drive in reverse to work (10 miles) :-)

seriously - is this a short term solution or does it help for a while?
Old 22 September 2004, 11:14 AM
Pimp Boy
Scooby Newbie

Cool damn clutch!

Yea ive got a black 94 wrx with a few mods on it & exactly the same problem i had the damn thing replaced with a standard one about a year ago & after about 4 months the judder was back, it judders a bit in first & changing down gears from 4th or 5th at high speed like a *******, got my eye on an AP Racing, with lightweigh flywheel, lightweight engine pullys & (bgm, i think) quickshift, that should sort the problem! I had the standard replaced for about £350 but the uprated clutch will set me back just over a grand but at this point in time id pay double to fix that little bugger for good, oh & the AP is probably good for 400bhp+, sweet!
Old 22 September 2004, 12:56 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Why would driving reverse help clutch judder? Surely at that point the clutch/flywheel assembly rotate in the same direction as the engine regardless of whether you are going forward or reverse? It's the gearbox that decides your direction not the clutch?
Old 22 September 2004, 07:24 PM
Mister_DJ
Scooby Regular

I'm going to try & get an explanation for it from a dealer tomorrow - I'll post the reply.

DJ.
Old 01 October 2004, 07:12 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Got an 01 WRX bought in Feb and the clutch is juddering. (23.000 miles, I'm the second owner) Spoke to the dealer I bought it from who said they would replace it under warrenty. He spoke to HQ and phoned me back the same day. Booked in to be done next week.

Simpson's in Highworth. Can't fault them so far. Also lost the wheel arch plastic(?) and they replaced it without any labour charge. Now that's what I call customer service!
Old 02 October 2004, 11:24 AM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

I've had 2 scoobs over 6 years and they both have juddered, even after replacement, although not at first, the judder developing slowly after 6-9 months.

I'm convinced (but without any real knowledge or proof to back it up...) that:
  • The friction material leaves a deposit on the flywheel that is "sticky", or the surface of the friction plate becomes sticky
  • This leads to judder, when the friction plate grabs the flywheel for a moment and springs off before something breaks, grabs again etc..
  • Over time - most scoob owners live with it - this leads to uneven wear on the flywheel and, once you have that, it will judder for ever, even if you replace the friction plate etc. The only answer is a replacement or skimmed flywheel.
I had the standard clutch replaced on my MY99 with a Helix (+ skimmed flywheel) and this was perfect for 8 or 9 months, smooth as silk. But then the judder started to come back.

Working on the "sticky deposit theory", I reckoned that the advice to "give it a racing start every now and again" is sound. What you must not do is live with the judder and get a flywheel with high/low spots. I find that a single spirited start once every 2 months completely clears any judder. If the theory is right, the stickyness is burnt off, leaving a smooth action. Doing this will not make any difference if your flywheel is already worn unevenly though.

Anyone else think the same? Like I said, I'm no Greasemonkey but judder only happens to me one morning every 2 months and then it's gone.....
Old 02 October 2004, 09:10 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

"They all do that sir!!!" Heard that a few time

Had 2 scoobies over 4 years. First was a MY00 that juddered so bad I dropped the car off at the dealers and told them I didn't want it back until it was resolved. Luckily enough it was a company car, so had a pool car for the duration after they offered me a Rover After 2 weeks they said they hadn't experienced it, so couldn't do anything. The car almost shook itself to bits

I phoned up IM and got really stroppy, they autherised the replacement for a P1 clutch and flywheel. A few months later it return I found a 6k rpm pull away would make it a little better for a short while.

Now driving a RB5 WR and touch wood (for the past 2 1/2 years) no judder to speak of. Now and again, you get a minor one, but doesn't happen enough to pi55 me off.

Phone them up and they resolve it

Phill
Old 02 October 2004, 11:13 PM
ScoobyDoobyDom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam
"give it a racing start every now and again" is sound. I find that a single spirited start once every 2 months completely clears any judder. If the theory is right, the stickyness is burnt off, leaving a smooth action. Doing this will not make any difference if your flywheel is already worn unevenly though.

Anyone else think the same? Like I said, I'm no Greasemonkey but judder only happens to me one morning every 2 months and then it's gone.....

Totally agree. My MY00 Turbo and MY01 WRX both do it!

A good hard "Santa Pod" pull-away every 4-6 weeks or so sorts it out. Give the clutch a bit of slip as you do this just to let it burn off the hi-spots.

You will notice a difference.
Old 03 October 2004, 12:39 AM
Hot Chicken
Scooby Regular

Default Clutch

Originally Posted by Mister_DJ
Over the last few weeks my bugeye WRX has started to get clutch judder when starting off from cold. I've seen a few posts on here before about this and wondered how common it is?

Please could someone explain in layman terms what causes it and does this mean that my clutch is on the way out?

Thanks, DJ.
I had the same on my 94 WRX, and I had the clutch changed, and the bearing was found to be broken up. Since then it has been ok.