Notices

Under bonnet temps!

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 04:39 PM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Under bonnet temps!

Anyone had some great/crazy ideas for control of under bonnet temps? Apart from rap for the exhaust...anyone done things with the water header tank etc?

I'm not sure if I'd touch the header tank being that it's an item thats designed to release/control heat. If it has rap, would it cause the engine internals to run at higher temps - a gain on induction cooling, but not at the pistons?
Old 15 September 2004, 05:16 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having a chat with a bloke whose got a modded Spec C.He's lagged his turbo and has had his underbonnet temps drop by as much as 40deg (keeps a check on the temps with thermocouples wired into dash digital displays).
The jacket that hes got around the turbo is a Jap item that he imported,but he is also going to buy a few and flog them-so keep a look out for them.

Unfortunately i cant remember his Scoobynet name.

Gary
Old 16 September 2004, 11:24 AM
Absolute Shower
Scooby Regular

Wink

40 deg...bloody ek. I've just bought turbo rap from Demon Tweeks...sure I could get it cheaper, but they're bloody quick. It's a double layer job so should do the trick. I've only got an 'after' intercooler inlet temp sensor which is +/- 1 deg over 150 deg - got it from the states.

The only items I really see as big heat sources....turbo (must be the biggest?), exhaust pipes pre and after turbo, then header water tank and hoses - its the latter that I'm not sure about...being that they're not supposed to retain heat...

Just to advise the turbo rap does advise using ace quality oil and allow the turbo to tickover for longer after a blast - like turbo-timer...because of extra heat in the turbo. So say it helps with turbo lap and spool..??

I'm thinking of making a heat shield for the front of the car to make sure air flow from rad goes down under the engine and out under the back of the tray (as per the black tray's design)...not sure if I can do a quality job that I'll like the look of though!
Old 16 September 2004, 01:43 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lagging the header tank should'nt cause you too many problems: the radiator is the bit that is doing the cooling, so I can't see that keeping the header tank warm will do any damage.....UNLESS it's one of the plastic ones! Presumably there is a temperature where they breakdown/ soften.
Old 16 September 2004, 03:25 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Absolute Shower
Anyone had some great/crazy ideas for control of under bonnet temps? Apart from rap for the exhaust...anyone done things with the water header tank etc?

I'm not sure if I'd touch the header tank being that it's an item thats designed to release/control heat. If it has rap, would it cause the engine internals to run at higher temps - a gain on induction cooling, but not at the pistons?
See here,

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=Header
Moved header , Lagged various bits & also added a airfilter shield since the Pics, Car seems more torquey since

Dean
Old 16 September 2004, 06:03 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I presume that the 40 deg reduction was for low speed/stationary temps-i cant see it being that sort of reduction at speed.
If so, it would certanly help the heat soak issues.
Old 16 September 2004, 09:19 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you post info / links for the Turbo wrap, which turbos does it suit ( TD05 ) ??
Old 16 September 2004, 09:36 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I monitor underbonnet temps (or I do when the batteries in my cheapo guages aren't knacked) and putting your foot down from cruise can certainly add 40C, although it cools down within a second or 2 as long as your rolling.