Notices

Aircon Re-Gas every year .... normal ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2004, 07:50 PM
sukrw
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircon Re-Gas every year .... normal ?

Hi,

I own a MY97 Classic Scooby Turbo - factory fitted aricon - every year I am having to re-gas the aircon ... is this normal ?

I went to main dealer last 2 times and each time they say they ran a full system check and the aircon was in full working order - just needed a re-gas - they "say" there are no leaks ...

Any advice ? anyone else having to re-gas aircon every 12 months ?

Car has done 77,000 miles.

Thanks,

Ro
Old 08 September 2004, 08:09 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

hi,
air con is said to lose 10% of its gas a year.i have seen cars with as low as only 20% of their air con gas and still performing quite well.i would suspect a leak if it needs re-doing each year.try having it serviced somewhere else i am not accusing your dealer of anything but i know of firms who dont fill the air con with gas,lets say your air con holds 700g they may only put in 200g so in a year it will have lost enough to stop it working.like i say i am not accusing your dealer of this but just be careful.
regards carl
Old 08 September 2004, 08:16 PM
sukrw
Scooby Newbie

Carl,

thanks for the advice and specs, good reply, I will take your advice and try an "independent" and see if that helps ...

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Ro
Old 08 September 2004, 08:29 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Get it checked every three years, have a car 8 years old & still going strong <brrrrr>
Old 08 September 2004, 10:11 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

With aircon you need to run it at least once a week, including winter, to keep the shaft seal on the compressor lubricated, if the seal dries out due to low usage then you will slowly loose gas this way, due to the nature of refrigeration gases (domestic, automotive & industrial) when a compressor seal dries out you get gas leakage.

Jim
Old 08 September 2004, 11:20 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

I would say your getting ripped off -

I just done a group buy with some friends on DIY recharge kits imported from the US. My car is also a MY97 and when checking on the supplied meter it was just under normal, to my knowledge its never been previously recharged.

I used a just a small amount of refrigerant with lubrication oil to top up. If its not leaking I cant see why you would need to recharge every year.

btw. there is normally a dye added to the refrigerant to make leaks easier to spot, check around your hoses, a green tinge will be a leak.
Old 09 September 2004, 08:03 PM
sukrw
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys for your replies, I will check for any leakage "coloured" fluid stains etc - good call.

Yep - Main Dealer said I should use the air con all year round at least once a year - which over the last year I did, but 12 months on it is blowing "cool" air but by no means "cold" air

I will get it re-done (not at Main Dealer) and check for leaks and see what happens in 12 months time...

Hey, if it leaks again, maybe I should swap it for a new STI .... hmmm there's a thought ... ;-)

Again, thanks

Ro