Notices

Best material/construction to use for heat shield on induction?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2004, 02:13 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best material/construction to use for heat shield on induction?

Just wondered, as i'm contemplating making a heat shield thingy so my induction isn't sucking warm air from engine bar & such like, what best material &/or combination of materials to do this would be, carbon, metal (which kind best if i had the choice) & would lining it with sumin like exhaust wrap or such like be a good idea?
Any cunning plans or tips greatfully received.....
Cheers
Si
Old 22 August 2004, 02:17 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Carbon is a nice material to work with, and looks pretty cool too. Maybe lined with foil backed insulation it would be very efficient.
Old 22 August 2004, 03:01 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Gold, as it's the best heat reflector of them all IIRC
Old 22 August 2004, 03:09 PM
stu_5
Scooby Regular

The most sensible option would be stainless steel.

Reflects radiated heat from the engine bay without passing it through far better than normal steel and is also relatively easy to shape/form.
Old 22 August 2004, 04:01 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

would sticking something like this on one or both sides of the metal to form the shape be a sweet idea or not?
Si
Old 22 August 2004, 04:38 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_si
would sticking something like this on one or both sides of the metal to form the shape be a sweet idea or not?
Si
Yep got a load of that from Wicks for the back of my house radiator £12
Old 22 August 2004, 05:14 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

surely not exactly the same stuff thou? &/or how much for £12?
Si (always open to cheaper alternatives as long as up to job...)
Old 22 August 2004, 08:57 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby_si
Si
I have that wrapped around my Turbo under the heat shield & also around my Intake hard pipe, Seems to work well @ containing heat & deflecting it also

Dean
Old 06 September 2004, 09:25 PM
yumper
Scooby Newbie

Don't know if this helps and it might be stating the obvious, but felt I had to comment as information about heat tranmission and insulation can be quite confusing.

There are 2 problems in engine bays with heat. One is direct heat onto an intake and the other is ambient heat in the bay.

You can protect against local overheating with a reflective shield.

But protecting against the ambient temp. in the bay needs an insulating wrap or close-fitting pipe insulation or similar that encapsulates air within it.

Think of it as you being cool (like the fresh air in the intake) and sitting in front of a fire. Stick a sheet of something reflective inbetween you and the fire and you stop getting the red face, but you'll still get warmed up by the room temperature.

Surround yourself with insulation foam and you'll keep your own cool temperature more easily (assuming you're cooler than the room). Surrounding yourself with reflective foil or thin cloth won't work, because they will conduct heat from the room (there's nothing to reflect as there is no longer any direct directional heat source. You need an air gap like double-glazing. In practice insulation foam is used in industry to keep pipes hot (with cool ambient air) or cold (with warm ambient air). But some foams won't stand locally high temperatures for long, so they may need a coating to protect them from local direct heat in an engine bay eg. where a turbo is close to an intake.

Of course, you can reduce engine bay temperature with exhaust wrap, but your bay temperature may still be way above the outside air temperature, so you may still gain from insulating intakes.

Plus a side effect of exhaust wrap is that the heat moves further back down the exhaust, so you have to watch for bodywork damage.

Hope this helps.
Old 07 September 2004, 12:27 AM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Yep.

Been having this problem with my K&N 57i induction kit, so on saturday i put the OEM air box back on and fitted a K&N panel filter.

I can't believe the difference : The car runs alot smoother and that horrible vacuum cleaner noise has gone.

Red.
Old 07 September 2004, 08:49 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I lagged the hardpipes on my FMIC last week and this has made a difference, but an intake surround, plus bonnet scoop may provide a 'cooler' solution...

After speaking to Agriemech, I used exhaust wrap (1 inch) to lag the I/C pipes. I have a bonnet scoop on order from DR Motorsport, so this is only 1 component short .....

Mark
Old 07 September 2004, 10:54 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

This is what I did:

Made a huge difference to the rate at which heatsoak affects the filter area, on Sunday at Elvington with 25C ambients I was seeing 30-32C at filter and throttle body after a 1/4mile run, on driving back to the start that would drop to 28-30C and would only rise to 32-34C after waiting inline for 2 or 3 cars.

Mine is made from 1.2mm aluminium and is not lined/insulated (yet), I also have a 3.5" cold air pipe from under the offside indicator to the rearmost hole in the inner wing and the bonnet seal removed above the offside headlight. As can be seen from the outside profile the shield extends right up to the bonnet line.

Andrew...
Old 07 September 2004, 11:43 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

[thread diversion]Andrew, do you have one breather filter on the cam covers and one on the crank pipe ? The front one looks to be v. close to the bonnet ....[/thread diversion]

Mark
Old 07 September 2004, 01:11 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

No I have a modified Cusco catch can: http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...c;f=2;t=000038

Second breather you can see is on my idle valve as I no longer have a MAF and my inlet pipe doesn't have a connection to the ISCV.

Andrew...
Old 07 September 2004, 01:33 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

I see - Thank You

Mark