Notices

A better grounding solution (earth mod)

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2004, 10:17 PM
XNWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb A better grounding solution (earth mod)

Among the different Scooby sensors, the MAF and the rear O2 sensors are the more prone to ground or signal perturbations because a small amount of voltage creates a big difference in results. The O2 sensor, used during idle and closed-loop phases is definitively the more sensible as its transfer function around the stochïo point looks like a filtered step. Hundreds of millivolts are enough to change the reading from 12:1 to 16:1 !
I've measured hundredths of ohms between the rear O2 sensor's ground and ECU's ground, enough to create hundreds millivolts noise when ignition coils are fired !
The mod simply consists to connect the rear O2 sensor's ground wire to the ECU ground using normal small electronic wire. For example, on a 01-04WRX/STi, you just have to connect B134 pin 22 to B135 pin 19. Results are even better on a MY95-00 scooby.

Last edited by XNWRX; 09 August 2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07 August 2004, 10:42 PM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XNWRX
Among the different Scooby sensors, the MAF and the rear O2 sensors are the more prone to ground or signal perturbations because a small amount of voltage creates a big difference in results. The O2 sensor, used during idle and closed-loop phases is definitively the more sensible as its transfer function around the stochïo point looks like a filtered step. Hundreds of millivolts are enough to change the reading from 12:1 to 16:1 !
I've measured hundredths of ohms between the rear O2 sensor's ground and ECU's ground, enough to create hundreds millivolts noise when ignition coils are fired !
The mod simply consists to connect the rear O2 sensor's ground wire to the ECU ground using normal small electronic wire. For example, on a 01-04WRX/STi, you just have to connect B134 pin 17 to pin 19. Results are even better on a MY95-00 scooby.
Great info! Can you be any more specific about the classic cars? I have an MY99 and to the best of my knowledge, it only has one O2 sensor, on the downpipe. I have carried out an earth improvement mod already, but didn't pay any particular attention to the O2 sensor. Since making the mod, I have had a 4 wire O2 sensor fitted in lieu of the 3 wire OEM unit (purely due to availability at short notice). The earth wire is currently attached to the exhaust system, but I plan to connect it either directly to the battery earth, or to the nearest of my additional earth points.

Thoughts??!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 07 August 2004, 10:56 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Sounds very interesting. So how do you do it, in simple terms, on an early classic...please.
Old 11 August 2004, 08:14 AM
XNWRX
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I've been trying to find this ground O2 sensor signal on MY95-00 scoob, but it's not fitted to the ECU as opposed to 00-04WRX/STi. It seems that it is connected straight from the O2 sensor to the engine's body (good reason for the problem). I haven't been able to locate it.
Then the only mod consists in cabling that engine point to the battery ground, a big wire is not needed.
Old 12 August 2004, 10:26 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

I thought it was the front O2 sensor on the Newage cars that was "used during idle and closed-loop phases" and the rear O2 just monitored the CAT(s)
efficiency.
Am I mistaken?

Mark.
Old 13 August 2004, 07:19 AM
XNWRX
Scooby Regular

You're right Mark. I made a mistake...but that's good as catless CE disapeared definitively :-)