Notices

calling all JDM wagon owners, TD05 is great!

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2004, 10:06 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calling all JDM wagon owners, TD05 is great!

Fitted my TD05 turbo yesterday along with Z4 ECU and it is so much better
The Z4 is giving me steady boost at about 13-14 psi all through the latter part of the rev range in any gear.

As the book says, the turbo spools up a bit later but the car pulls so much better towards the 7000rpm limit. My car is full decatted which probably helps a lot with spool-up.

Now I just need to try it with my VOS chip to compare but want to get knock sensor sorted first.

Highly recommend the TD05 + Z4 mod. Should be adding about 40BHP but with greater potential for even more!
Old 07 August 2004, 10:13 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Roojai
Fitted my TD05 turbo yesterday along with Z4 ECU and it is so much better
The Z4 is giving me steady boost at about 13-14 psi all through the latter part of the rev range in any gear.

As the book says, the turbo spools up a bit later but the car pulls so much better towards the 7000rpm limit. My car is full decatted which probably helps a lot with spool-up.

Now I just need to try it with my VOS chip to compare but want to get knock sensor sorted first.

Highly recommend the TD05 + Z4 mod. Should be adding about 40BHP but with greater potential for even more!
Yeah, a few people recently threw a TD05 onto a JDM wagon, to replace the ickle TD04. Seems good so far!
I did, and changed the map on the ecu too as the old TD04 map wanted to det a bit!

Flies once it gets going, TD05 feels a bit lazier upto 3500 rpm then lets go, and with my set up really goes when the headers kick in!!

Supposed to be OK for upto for 350 - 380 bhp ?
Need the supporting mods tho
Old 07 August 2004, 10:16 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Am i right in thinking that as I put a Z4 ECU (from the 96 saloon with TD05) in my car should run fine??
Old 07 August 2004, 10:57 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Am i right in thinking that as I put a Z4 ECU (from the 96 saloon with TD05) in my car should run fine??
Probably, as long as the ECU is for a TD05 and roughly same year then you should be ok. reset the ECU and let it learn too.

I have a scoobyECU and the TD04 map mades the car boost spike and hit fuel cut, so the proper TD05 map was fitted and is all fine now.

Suggest you get Boost and Air/Fuel gauges and knocklink, to protect your engine and show up early issues!
Old 07 August 2004, 10:57 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Oh, and while I'm here, How are you supposed to connect the water pipe underneath the turbo???? I struggled with this one for a long time and used slightly unconventional methods.
Old 07 August 2004, 11:00 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, and while I'm here, How are you supposed to connect the water pipe underneath the turbo???? I struggled with this one for a long time and used slightly unconventional methods.
With Difficulty!!!

I fitted the short pipe to the block, pointed the turbo pipe at the top end, and wiggled until it went on and then wrapped a jubilee clip around the turbo end ( wrecked the jap clip getting it pen! ) so at least next time (!!) can just undo this one before tryingto get turbo off.

Took me a while too!

Now I just got Samco waster hose set, guess which hose it includes .. grr!
Old 08 August 2004, 12:40 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I also used jubilee clips. I put the rubber hose on the turbo pipe and tightened with a jubilee clip. I also put a jubilee clip on the other end of the hose loosely. Then managed to slot rubber hose on the metal pipe when putting the turbo on (with great difficulty) and tightened jubilee clip with screwwdriver from underneath (also with some difficulty). I reckon it's actually an improvement on the standard butterfly clips.