Notices

What happened to Subaru reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2004, 12:18 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to Subaru reliability?

I've always wanted a Scoob, preferably a classic. I'm now in the position that in the next 6 -12 months I will be able to buy one, so I came here to read about them. Jesus!!! How many problems are people having with these cars !!???

Brand new WRX / STi with clonking suspension that Subaru cannot seem to fix. Bouncing handling, again with no standard fix from a dealer.

The more I read, the more likely I am to go and buy something else. If the new cars are having all these problems, god only knows how much hassle the classics are.

One of the main reasons I was considering changing car is that my French hot hatch has a tendancy to break. I was considering a Clio Cup as a replacement, but I was kept telling myself that I should go and buy a proper car that will not fall apart. Looks like I may need to continue my search at little more.
Old 03 August 2004, 12:30 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

If you were to go and buy a standard uk classic, keep it that way and look after it you would have a nice reliable car.

Most of the failures here are because things keep getting modified, and people tell you when things break.

'the scoob is running fine today as well' would not be much of an interesting thread

Dave
Old 03 August 2004, 12:34 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

My classic shape is 3 1/2 years old. Its only ever been back to a garage for routine servicing, tyres and a battery - can't get much more reliable than that
Old 03 August 2004, 12:52 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Never had ANY problem with my classic either.
Old 03 August 2004, 12:56 PM
Christ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Claudius
Never had ANY problem with my classic either.
ditto
Old 03 August 2004, 01:18 PM
PARTS4U
Scooby Regular

best car i have owned ( and ive had a few )!!!! 00my classic
Old 03 August 2004, 01:58 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Very glad to hear that there are some classics out there not having problems. I feel sorry for the people are having all the grief with the newer ones. I always used the think that the newer the car the less likely it was that you would have trouble.

I'm currently saving for a late model STi. So I suppose that these cars are more likely to have been modded, and therefore I'm going to have a harder time to find a good one.
Old 03 August 2004, 02:07 PM
SL_WRX
Scooby Regular

I have a MY03 wrx wagon and no problems so far - love the car, good performance and handling. For a car with this type of performance you do have to allow for lower fuel consumption and tyre wear.
Old 03 August 2004, 02:09 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

My classic has had a couple of small niggles but nothing expensive or worrying.

People often say to be why don't I get a more practical car, my reply is I have one - It's reliable, It's a 4 door, It's 4WD & it's got a massive boot -I usually end up driving to golf as it's the only car where you can get 3 sets of clubs without taking the back seats out - my mates 307 will just allow 2 sets and my other mates golf can't even get 1 set in!

They're assumption that it's impractical is based on it being a petrol guzzler - but you don't drive hell-for-leather all the time do you? you can easily get 300+ miles to a tank, although granted it's not the cheapest car to fill - my only gripe is that level of interior finish is lacking, but there's plenty of mods to be had.
Old 03 August 2004, 02:19 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
you can easily get 300+ miles to a tank.
How the **** do you manage that? Did it involve surgery?

Seriously, though, the only problem my end-of-line 00my had was with clutch judder (just an annoyance, not a malfunction), and that was sorted under warranty. I've covered 37k over the last 18 months. The car has been completely reliable.

Kev
Old 03 August 2004, 03:50 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Ditto to the Above, 92,000 miles. Usual stuff replaced. Consumables etc , Pads, Discs, Shocks. But nothing Major. Get yourself a unmodied Classic and keep it that way or get yourself a Leggy turbo.

Bomb Proof

SG
Old 03 August 2004, 04:07 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

never had anything go wrong with my MY02sti 320ish bhp dealer serviced and warrantied very reliable.

i have only done 14000 miles in 2 years tho!
Old 03 August 2004, 04:34 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

best way to (half) decent fuel economy? - Get your other half to drive on long trips...

Was trundling through Ambleside last weekend with the windows down, and the flat four burbling - a group of youngish lads were on the pavement looking and I heard one of the say "F**king hell, there's a woman driving it!"

When I first got the car she wouldn't drive - try and stop her now, it's any excuse!
Old 04 August 2004, 11:08 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

my classic is 4 years old now and have had a alarm bracket replaced under warrenty after 6 months and a battery after 3.5 years again FOC

Great reliable car

<touchs a piece of wood nearby>?
Old 04 August 2004, 12:56 PM
chick
Scooby Newbie

Luminous am in the same boat as you, am planning buying a classic at the end of this month, my m8 runs one it's mechanically standard apart from a scoobysport back box and a DV. He's had no problems with it at all. He reckons it's the most reliable car he's had too! I want one!
Old 04 August 2004, 01:14 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

My MY00 hasnt had any problems either - Had it since new, has been mildly modded to 250BHP and the only problem I have had was with a failing Lambda sensor.
Old 04 August 2004, 01:53 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an extensively modified MY99.
The vehicle has not missed a beat.
I do take great care with the fuel quality (minimum ron 98)and also oil type (full synthetic).
My driving style is such that I minimise any instantaneous loading of the transmission/drive train.
I have driven for hours at speeds exceeding 200 kph in ambient temperatures exceeding 36 c without any problems - (Thanks to FMIC)
I have never dragged it - Its not my bag
Mate these cars are legends.
Old 04 August 2004, 01:57 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

My MY02 STI PPP has done 40k.

Knocking suspension. One rear strut replaced. Other one failed this week. Awaiting replacement.

Rattling clutch.... ongoing, awaiting fix.

Clutch judder; New clutch and flywheel fitted in February.

Boost problems. New ECU fitted in February.

Creaking noises from rear, not knocking. Boot spoiler had to be refitted, and boot assembly.

So, just knocking and rattling noises. Bloody annoying having to take it back to the dealer each time to get them to look at it.

BUT, the car is great, and at the moment have no plans to get rid of it.
Old 04 August 2004, 04:13 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Theres over 42,000 members on this board many of whom dont have std cars. Also its the nature of bbs to have technical forums to be full of problems.

If you take into account the number of people with any problems the percentage is very very small. After all Subaru didnt dominate JD power surveys by being unreliable

Bob
Old 04 August 2004, 07:04 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Personal experience with Scoobs is top reliability.

I had a MY97 for 3 years and the only thing to go wrong with it was the rewind button on the radio cassette.

I've had my MY00 from new and the only thing it has had is a Lambda Sensor (£100).

Both of the above standard cars.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 04 August 2004, 07:11 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi
Done 28,000 miles in 9 months in mine, and its never let me down, MY00 PPP full decat and uprated suspension and brakes.
I have never had any other performance car which I can say has ever got anywhere near that mileage without huge cost and several trips on tow trucks.
I use it everyday and woudnt change it for the world.
Jt
Old 04 August 2004, 08:11 PM
BigGuy
Scooby Regular

1st one had 187,000 kms at trade in. The one I have now has 79,000 kms. Hard driving and modified and have not had a single problem. I guess they're reliable...
Old 04 August 2004, 08:19 PM
sumo
Scooby Regular

I had a 97 uk turbo, gave it sooooooo much hammer for 62000 miles with absolutely nothing going wrong only bits replaced were 6 1/2 sets tyres and brake pads, not a single oil leak, nothing. then got divorced, had to sell scoob, had a 3 year break now back in the fold and enjoying every minute....sumo
Old 04 August 2004, 08:25 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Depends what you come to regard as reliable. Used to work for Toyota, hence, drove Toyotas... four Corolla GTIs in a row, tried very hard over lots of miles, simply couldn't break them...they're reliable. The Scoob! At 40k, my then unmodified MY00 was diagnosed as having a fcuked mainshaft and associated bearings. At 48k it then decided it had had enough of one of its rear wheel bearings and comprehensively lunched it at an unspeakable speed on the M3. There are various squeaks and rattles which I've given up trying to cure, on the grounds that there's something new and exciting to listen to on an almost daily basis. Sounds like a nightmare to someone who doesn't own one, or, like you, is thinking of taking the plunge, but, regardless of the above, I'll be sorry when I sell mine.
Old 04 August 2004, 08:41 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

My 00 classic,standard setup, has never let me down, starts first time every time,it is serviced at the recommended intervals. It is the most reliable car that I have ever owned and believe me there is bad cars out there. Example, my Dad's Legacy went in to have a bumper repaired(long story) and he was lent of all cars a Ford KA, bloody hell mate this thing was about 4 months old, sounded like a bag of nails and leaked the Titanic after all that heavy rain we had, total pile of rubbish and to think people actually buy these cars for everyday use, amazes me.
Old 05 August 2004, 01:11 AM
scoobytravis
Scooby Regular

MY99 UK Impreza, TEK 3/decat only problem has been 2 MAF sensors and new battery and general consumables (Tyre/pads/discs etc...) in 3+ years of ownership.

As for Toymotors - Had A Carlos Sainz Celica for 4years+, not modified in any way, never tracked or thrashed, dealer serviced religously (full history) and had 2 blown head gaskets in 18 months, drive shafts changed after 1 year of ownership and a few other lesser problems.

Are the differences in reliability so different - most likely not

Graham
Old 05 August 2004, 07:11 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Yeah, fair enough, you can only go by your own experiences, worked for Toyota for seven years, in warranty among other things. Was always amazed at how few claims we had to process, especially after four long years at Ford....think the term ' warranty claim ' must have been invented for them!
Old 05 August 2004, 07:44 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

another vote for the best car I have ever owned brigade. It is simply, the best car I have owned....
Old 05 August 2004, 04:21 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I have had 2 leggy turbos and they were both very reliable they were driven hard all the time and other than clutches were very good.

I have just bought another and guess what clutch pedal is playing up
Old 05 August 2004, 04:29 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

I got a sport and it needs a good boot to get decent performance but it is always reliable but do get reg service, preventative medicine they say

Quick Reply: What happened to Subaru reliability?