Notices

Fitted a FSE Fuel Reg ... what did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2004, 11:14 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitted a FSE Fuel Reg ... what did you use?

Hi,

I have fitted the walbro fuel pump and now I wanna tackle the reg, I had a go today. Took off the strut, intercooler & heat shield ... but now I still have no room to turn the screwdriver! I tried a philips on a socket but the ratchet head kept getting caught on one of the pipes down there ...

For those who have done this before - what tool(s) did you use? I will have to pay a visit to the local auto center methinks! What size are the screws (diameter thread & length) as I will replace then with small bolts and want to get em before I try this again!

Cheers
Paul
Old 01 August 2004, 11:35 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

I used a small quarter inch drive ratchet with a phillips attatchment, I found this the best combination as you could press real hard on the end with one hand to force it into the screw and turn the ratch round with the other.

I seem to remember on the bottom screw the 'angle of attack' wasn't wonderful, but then it seemed in less tight than the top one.

Use the shortest fattest phillips attatchment that will fit in head, the pointier ones will not sit in properly and will easily round the screw head. (sorry if I'm patronising here, but I don't know your level of technical expertise when it comes to these things).

Other than that, if all else fail removing the plenum and doing it on the bench is also an option, I've never taken it off myself but I'm in the understanding that it's little more than four bolts holding it on.
Old 01 August 2004, 11:37 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Oh, and I just wanted to add;

When you fit the Reg be real careful as you put it in, it is soooooo easy to shear the rubber o ring off the side of it as you put it in.
Old 02 August 2004, 12:16 AM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Ta mate ...

Your comment re angle of attack was summat I noticed as I tried the bottom one first .... will get a smaller ratchet & shorter 'length' sorted and have a go tomorrow.

Paul
Old 02 August 2004, 08:59 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

It's a real PITA job.
I managed to get the top phillips screw to move by clamping the head of it with a small pair of mole grips and 'crack' it undone.
As above for the bottom screw - 1/4 drive ratchet with phillips bit.

I found theat the 90 degree elbow would not plug into the fuel rail straight, when connected to the rubber fuel hose, as the hose is a quater of an inch too short - therefore i was always trying to push it in at an angle, which was pinching tho O ring.
I tried connecting the 90 degree elbow first, but It was impossible to then attach the fuel hose - due to it being too short.
I considered using the straight coupler supplied in the kit to connectt the existing fuel hose to another piece ( approx 20cm long) and making a 'loop' with it before attaching to the turbo - Decided against this, as it is right next to the turbo, and it would look untidy.

I 'bit the bullet' in the end, removing the turbo to fit a piece of fuel hose that was 1/4 inch longer - It turned a 1/2 Hour job into 2Hrs!

All i can say is, Have Fun!
Old 02 August 2004, 09:30 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Done ....! Took no time at all to get the reg off ... BUT along the way I had pulled the pipe at the reg end up and farted around with getting the adapter on! Top screw went on OK but the bottom one took about an hour to get in ... I dropped it a few times just to make my life more difficult, tweezers saved the day here! I ended up taping the screw to the philips bit and then all was well.

Uppip/downpipe & headers next ....
Old 02 August 2004, 09:46 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GimmeMore

Brave man
Old 02 August 2004, 11:23 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GimmeMore
Done ....! Took no time at all to get the reg off ... BUT along the way I had pulled the pipe at the reg end up and farted around with getting the adapter on! Top screw went on OK but the bottom one took about an hour to get in ... I dropped it a few times just to make my life more difficult, tweezers saved the day here! I ended up taping the screw to the philips bit and then all was well.

Just to qualify this .... I did not take off the STRUT/HS/IC the second time round! Dunno why I thought this needed to be done ... Duh!
Old 03 August 2004, 07:28 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Default Fuel Leak!

Pressure tested this afternoon and the reg leaked at the threads .... got some loctite pipe sealer (£3.50) and all fine now. Adjusted to 3 bar with vac hose off ...

FYI, I mounted it on the bolt that holds the intercooler body to its bracket .. very easy to get to and adjust.

Last edited by GimmeMore; 03 August 2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05 December 2004, 07:48 PM
singang
Scooby Regular

Any Pics for this Mod?? I'm scared ; )