Notices

Knocklink Adjustment on STI 2003

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2004, 09:32 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocklink Adjustment on STI 2003

I have just had my knocklink fitted by a local garage, and I am getting one green LED at WOT,

The mechanic who fitted the kit said that he set up the knocklink to my SECS monitor KC value.

On previous threads people have said the knocklink should be set to "most sensitive", is this the norm? or is the mechanic correct.

Cheers for any advice

(I am not saying the mechanic was incorrect...but I do want to ensure I am not missing DET)

Kyle
Old 29 July 2004, 10:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its normally set to the most sensitive position, this way you get a better indication of whats happening to your engine. When you get det you will normally see it spike, ie go from green straight to red and normally at the same spot (plus you should be able to hear very bad det).

Tony
Old 29 July 2004, 10:41 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly sounds as if it is set well below max. sensitivity if you only see one green when it's working hard. If you check the KC and see a difference I would have thought you may have seen a spike on the knock link at some time?
JohnD
Old 30 July 2004, 12:30 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Set it up to the SECS value?! He will be talking crap. The SECs shows knock correction, not active knock display. Set it to max on the dial.

You might see the odd 2 greens at around 4-5k (most likey knock det area) but not too much more than that, presuming your car is standard.

MB
Old 30 July 2004, 12:36 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice Guys.. I'll turn it to max sensitivity tonight, and see what happens...

MB
My car is running with de-cat D-pipe and ecutek'd by Powerstation. (Rich did say at the time my motor was prone to DET, so this is why I wanted a Knoklink)
Old 30 July 2004, 12:40 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I know on the late classic STi, decatting will cause det as the fuel pump cant keep up. Not too familiar with the newer shape, but the fact you've had it mapped cuts down the risk a great deal.

MB
Old 30 July 2004, 12:55 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Cheer Mark

Just turned it up and gone for a blast...

All 5 LEDs at 4000rpm..

What next?
Old 30 July 2004, 01:05 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I see a visit from Bob Rawle is in order....

edited to say:

Just had a brainwave.... last fill up was Texaco Super Unleaded... not optimax as I ususally use (not near a Shell at the right moment as usual).....So best leave it a while until the correct fuel is in (was mapped to Optimax oops)

Last edited by scooby L; 30 July 2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 30 July 2004, 02:29 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Oh dear

I dont think Optim will make to much difference over SUL in terms of the lihts you have up, but it will help. How much knock correction is your SECS showing?

Agreed Bob is your best bet.

I dont want to slag anyone off, but there was a couple of threads on here a while ago about the people you mentioned that mapped yours, and they'd just fitted KL's and got a shock. They really are absolutely essential.

Does it spike or just go up and stay up after 4k?

MB
Old 30 July 2004, 02:36 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

just spikes mate, but didn't have long to test it properly, so will go for a proper outing tonight... would the warm air temperatures cause it to DET more?, as PS mapped it when it was snowing!
Old 30 July 2004, 02:45 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Spikes are bad, generally means its "real"

High ambient temps definately contribute towards det, but the ECU should be adjusting for this via knock correction. Heat means the air is less dense so there is less actual oxygen to combust per given amount of air in the intake.

Depends on how conservatively its it was mapped I guess, again Bob is the master here.

Keep it gentle and see if it improves late evening.

MB
Old 30 July 2004, 02:58 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression it was a conservative map, because it gave 285bhp on PS rollers, where he said they ususally get 295-305

cheers, I keep u posted

Last edited by scooby L; 30 July 2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 30 July 2004, 06:24 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High ambient temps definately contribute towards det, but the ECU should be adjusting for this via knock correction.

It could be the knock correction in operation that you are seeing with the spikes?
My 03 STi PPP often shows green thro' to red then all out when pulling in 5th or 6th I believe this to be a normal occurance according to recent threads on here?
JohnD
Old 30 July 2004, 06:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by JohnD
High ambient temps definately contribute towards det, but the ECU should be adjusting for this via knock correction.

It could be the knock correction in operation that you are seeing with the spikes?
My 03 STi PPP often shows green thro' to red then all out when pulling in 5th or 6th I believe this to be a normal occurance according to recent threads on here?
JohnD

Being the owner of an MY03 JDM STi (which we all know are a little more suseptable to det due to our fuel) i can say with my hand on my heart that the most ive seen on my knocklink is a slight flicker of the first orange, nothing else, normally 2nd flickering green on WOT.
If your picking anything else up then i would personally be worried so it could be advisable to add some octane booster in warmer weather

Tony
Old 30 July 2004, 06:42 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

John, its not normal to do that. Det is bad in any form and needs looking at. Again, I would speak to an expert but no way would I be happy seeing it at any time.

MB
Old 02 August 2004, 09:25 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Right...

Took car for a number of runs over the weekend..

Getting a brief flash of all 5 LEDs at around 3,500rpm.
KC on the SECS is reading 11 degrees at this point
From that point on there is only one flash from the 1st green diode up to red line.

Tried using water IC spray, with no effect on the DET.

Will have to purchase octane booster I suppose, until I can get Bob to have a look..
Old 02 August 2004, 10:22 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Also worth checking the sensor is working, with the gentle spanner tap technique...

Odd that it spikes at 2.5k and then dissapears... wonder if they forgot to map a bit of it

MB
Old 02 August 2004, 10:44 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Mark

LOL... tis a bit low on the rev scale!.. thought knock happend at major revs (5,000+), but that tells you how much I know about mechanics!

Towed my ski yesterday.... not a blink all day, and obviously the engine was working quite hard, just not WOT (Or even 75%) but you would have thought I'd get something..wondered if my fuel pump was a bit lacking (still standard).

Noticed a few threads now on heat/knocklink activity, so maybe when things cool down a bit I'll come down to 2 yellows?

Cheers

kyle
Old 02 August 2004, 12:26 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Hi

My knocklinks active this week, wait till it cools down a bit...
I use booster these days and most days I can't even get one green flash,
I find that your in the hands of god filling up in the worcester area with super Unleaded some times you get no det at all for weeks then fill up and get orange ever time up boot it - for £3 a bottle it keeps my mind at rest and If I don't use it the car feels lumpy in close loop... this of couse could be my mind playing tricks

edited to say....... when it cools down a bit and you fill up with otpimax if you are still getting big red get the car back to powerstation

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 02 August 2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02 August 2004, 12:43 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Also worth checking the sensor is working, with the gentle spanner tap technique...

Odd that it spikes at 2.5k and then dissapears... wonder if they forgot to map a bit of it

MB
when I had my car remapped it was around 3 k I got full red - Bob said it was a senitive area of the map, that can easily be missed on a rolling road mapped car ( I have slept since then so I might have twisted the answer some what, as I fix computers not cars )
Old 02 August 2004, 08:39 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I agree with WRX Rich. Get your car back to Powerstation and get it checked.
Old 03 August 2004, 01:05 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Been to Bristol and Back today, filled up with Optimax last night, a bit cooler (21degs) and only one green LED on WOT.

But I did reset my ecu last night (re-occuring CEL issue on O2 sensor) so my KC is only going up to 9.5 degrees.