Tuning 03STI

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 04:14 PM
03stiscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning 03STI

Hi all,

After some advise on tuning my 03STI. I already have PPP, Bailey dump valve and HKS Racing sucktion kit. I am having fitted in the near future, slightly un-equal length headers and up pipe and also going to get it re-mapped. Wots next? Who are the best mappers? Im in sheffield. Any help would be gratfully appreciated!

Cheers,

Scott
Old 22 July 2004, 04:32 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

try to narrow it down a bit by searching on here for different ecu options.
ie ECUtek, Apexi etc etc

then you can see what the best route is and after that you will know who to employ to map your car.

myself, I have gone for Apexi pfc/commander after I did a bit of research, and because of that I have decided to ask AndyF to do the mapping based on my decision.

asking a question as you have is unfortunately going to get you a hundred different answers.

sorry
Old 22 July 2004, 04:39 PM
03stiscooby
Scooby Newbie

Well i was thinking ECUTEK but i would like peoples opinions on wot is best! I am hoping to get big BHP in the future maybe 450+ so with that in mind wots the best mapping or ECU to use?
Old 22 July 2004, 10:03 PM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

Default You like wasting your money!!!

What you have to think about its what you already have and what ya need. I was thinking about the PPP but decided to go the other way. I now have a full decat system, fuel pump, K+N panel, and an ecutek remap. My point being that PPP is an uprated fuel pump, a sports cat and system, and an ECU upgrade which actually comes direct from ecutek, so in other words the same as what i have on mine. The PPP is what about £1800 fully fitted and puts out around 300-310 bhp, Where as I am now running around 340+ bhp with what has cost me only around £1200 or so pounds. Anyway thats done and dusted know for you. I would suggest you look at the inners of the car before doing to much to it. The most obvious thing is spark plugs, front mounted intercooler, and of course all the pistons and inners that go with it, before looking at new turbos, you have to make sure you modfiy your engine to be reliable not fast, you don't want it to blow up after one big grin drag up a road. If you have the money you could always invest in an american STI engine which is 2.5 litres and will be a better platform to start with. One other thing you might want to look at as well could be alloys, and suspension in order to get the power down. Can't wait to get my new alloys and suspension, but will have to wait a few months I think. The car would definately feel faster and you will be able to get round corners quicker and safer than you can at the moment, speed is all is a straight line. Anyway just my 2 or so pence worth, will probably get slated for saying all this but hey thats what happend. At the end of the day I have a huge grin on my face whenever I put the foot down, and have had no problems at all with any parts fitted.

Chris

P.S You may also want to look into a panel filter instead of an industion kit as they are prone to hot air flowing in due to engine tempartutres under the bonnet.
Old 22 July 2004, 10:24 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by 03stiscooby
Hi all,

.... slightly un-equal length headers

Scott
Scott,

What's the "slightly uneqal length headers" about? If you want more power you should be looking at equal length ones, amongst other things.

Apart from spending some good, quality time reading back through this board to see what's available I would have a chat with RCM (Roger Clark Motors) and, maybe TSL. Take your time to understand what its all about and what you want to achieve before you jump.

BTW if your car is under warranty you need to think on that as the kind of work that will be suggested by the tuners I have mentioned won't do your warranty any good.

Hope this helps.

WB
Old 23 July 2004, 08:53 AM
03stiscooby
Scooby Newbie

Hey STI @ 21. Thanks for the input! Ive already got 18" wheels, Prosrive lowering kit and front and rear STi strut braces. All this has stiffened the car up loads!

wacky.banana. I would like the power from equal length headers but i still want that boxer roar, so im gonna make the power sacrifice! Cheers for your help anyway!