Boost Pipe Restrictor questions

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2004, 08:53 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Boost Pipe Restrictor questions

Right ive had a few probs with my car, UK MY00 with PPP

Now when I bought the PPP ECU, I got a restrictor with it, and I had read a few of the previous threads on restrictors

The one I got was drilled out to 1.25mm, (cant remember what the standard one is)

Anyway my car has been running a bit rich, and hitting about 15-15.5 PSI

So last night I stuck the OE restrictor back in, and done about 250 miles today, and my car feels completly different, slightly better fuel consumption despite some serious colin macrae antics

Boost now peaks at 17PSI, and held about 16.5, but it doesnt half go like stink compared to how it was over the last week or two

Could this restrictor change really be the cause of my running rich, and the probs ive had ?

Steve
Old 16 July 2004, 09:36 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

*Sonic* says "despite some serious colin macrae antics"

Crashing and breaking jaw/face??

Isn't the original restrictor 1.1 mm ?
How come you got PPP but only recently got a PPP ecu ... used bits? Not sure what effect restrictor has apart from looking after boost spikes.
Old 16 July 2004, 09:51 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

LOL Neil, very nice, very long straight road (well straight ish) as bumpy as hell, a fantastic bit of road

yep i think the original is 1.1, I havent got full PPP as such, I recently got a PPP ECU

Thats what I was thinking too about looking after boost spikes, which makes it a bit odd really as to why the car feels so much quicker
Old 16 July 2004, 09:54 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

harvey is a good person to ask about restrictors (or greasemonkey)
Old 16 July 2004, 09:56 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Still not sure my WRX TD04 has a restrictor in it .. not found one, hopefully swap turbos tomorrow and have a look then .. my new TD05 chips have now arrived, just need to go pick them up!
Old 17 July 2004, 08:54 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smaller restrictor will cause it to spool slightly quicker hence why it will feels better (plus the obviouse increase in boost). However with the quicker spool it may also overshoot/spike above the target level.

If it doesn't spike above 1.2BAR then it should be fine, but much more then that and you may have an occasional fuel-cut.

You will get most spikes on high rpm 3rd-4th or 4th-5th gear changes.

You can achieve the same by tightening the actuator a couple of turns. My ECUTEK ECU was spiking to 1.4BAR on the standard restrictor, so I opened it slightly. This dropped boost by about 0.5BAR and got rid of the spikes. However 1.5 turns on the actuator and boost is back to 1.2BAR without spikes
Old 17 July 2004, 08:57 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Still not sure my WRX TD04 has a restrictor in it .. not found one, hopefully swap turbos tomorrow and have a look then .. my new TD05 chips have now arrived, just need to go pick them up!
WRX TD04 should have a restrictor if it's a MY97- 03 it'll be before the t-piece but after the turbo outlet (inbetween Turbo and Actuator).
If it's a MY92-MY96 Wagon it'll be in the pipe between the boost solenoid and the main air intake.

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2004, 09:32 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

it occasionally (now I can replicate this every single time) jumps to about 17.5PSI (on my gauge, not logged)

How I do this is get in 4th or 5th (does it in both) is to drive on WOT, lift off, then nail the throttle, going back on boost, and I get it upto 17.5 PSI peak, and drop to 16.5 PSI

If I just nail the throttle in 4th or 5th, it doesnt do the above, and just goes to 16.5PSI

Ive just changed my gauges to Defi's and went out for a quick run, and peak is 1.1bar
Old 17 July 2004, 11:03 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Scott.T
If it's a MY92-MY96 Wagon it'll be in the pipe between the boost solenoid and the main air intake.
That's the car. Don't have a T-piece in these lines (apart from one I put in for boost gauge). Still cant see a restrictor - there is one line that changes size as it goes from boost solenoid to manifold ( I think it is or else to turbo outlet) - is the hard plastic "joint" the restrictor??
You said between solenoid and main air inlet - this the pipe going to the resonator box?

WIll the same size restrictor be OK when a TD05 goes on ( as MarkWild has just done ) ??

While your on, Scott, what would happen if using the car at boost after TD05 install with your WRX Wagon map for MY94 TD04 turbos?

Tentatively used it after completing turbo change tonight and boost flies up to 17 psi once started, holds well in higher gears ( but not tried it for long yet due to wrong ECU map! ). You did say at time that the boost control was aggressive.

Thanks

Neil
sorry for the partial hijack there!
Old 18 July 2004, 12:49 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Neil

the restrictor is so small, it is quite difficult to tell of there is one, in one of the pipes or not, you have to feel for it

mine is in turbo pipe to T-piece, from that T-piece, the pipe goes to the actuator and to the boost solenoid, at least it does on mine

A few VF24 converts (MY99/00) have been using Dawes Device etc to control boost until time for a remap
Old 18 July 2004, 08:21 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=You said between solenoid and main air inlet - this the pipe going to the resonator box?

WIll the same size restrictor be OK when a TD05 goes on ( as MarkWild has just done ) ??

While your on, Scott, what would happen if using the car at boost after TD05 install with your WRX Wagon map for MY94 TD04 turbos?

Tentatively used it after completing turbo change tonight and boost flies up to 17 psi once started, holds well in higher gears ( but not tried it for long yet due to wrong ECU map! ). You did say at time that the boost control was aggressive.

Thanks

Neil
sorry for the partial hijack there![/QUOTE]

Thats the pipe. It comes from the bottom of the solenoid and has a 90 degree bend in it. About half way along there should be a restrictor. I have lnown of a fair few that have not had one, and were probably removed by a previous owner.

If it's my WRX Wagon map then it may be OK for the TD05, as it was basically my TD05 map to start with (layed over a Wagon Base map), and the duty cycle and boost control was changed to suite the faster spool of the TD04.
All this should do is 'try' to get the TD05 spoooling quicker, which physically it can't.

If it is peaks and holds approx 16.5psi then it should be OK. you could try changing the restrictor size or adjusting the actuator tension (if possible) to make it perfect.