Notices

STI7 Scoop and "bit under the scoop"

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2004, 12:53 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile STI7 Scoop and "bit under the scoop"

Had my STI top mount fitted yesterday together with TEK3.

I'm now after the above parts (I know lots of places do the STI7 Scoop so no problems there) but not sure where I can get the part under the bonnet/scoop so I'm getting the full effects of the STI intercooler.

Any ideas, tried Grade-A but they don't have any in at the moment.

Cheers

Chris
Old 16 July 2004, 03:42 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Try your local Subaru dealer.Put an STi7 scoop and intercooler on mine a while ago but never bothered putting the under scoop piece on.Would be interested to hear how much they are though?
I'm not sure how much difference it would make by fitting it anyway??

Good luck

Nick
Old 16 July 2004, 04:12 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Try your local Subaru dealer.Put an STi7 scoop and intercooler on mine a while ago but never bothered putting the under scoop piece on.Would be interested to hear how much they are though?
I'm not sure how much difference it would make by fitting it anyway??

Good luck

Nick
Surely keeping the WRX underscoop plate while fitting an STi intercooler and scoop defeats the whole purpose of this mod?
The WRX plate has a much smaller aperture than an STi one, so any extra air that potentially could have got through the scoop won't hit the extra area of the STi intercooler?

Chris, why not just cut the WRX plate larger, to match the surface area of the STi IC? The STi hole goes almost across to the grid part of the plate (turbo feed).

Nick
Old 16 July 2004, 05:45 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

But have you ever compared a std wrx and an STi7 or 8 intercooler side by side? The difference in width isn't actually that much.It's the depth of the intercooler which is greater.I did think about this mod when I fitted my intercooler but never got to hear back from my dealer with a price for the under-scoop section.....
Old 16 July 2004, 05:59 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Interesting, I was told that to gain the full effect of the STI intercooler you should also have the underscoop to allow more air through.

No dealers local to me anymore otherwise I'd pop in. No doubt for a small piece of plastic it will be £100's
Old 16 July 2004, 06:43 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Just done this.

Part No.& prices below:

90817FE110 METAL PLATE £51+VAT

90817FE040 Duct Bellows £28+VAT

9082-6FA00 CLIP £0.35 each + VAT (you'll need to buy 2 plus take the ones from your WRX plate)

I've been running the WRX plate/bellow for a few weeks whilst waiting for the rubber bellows to arrive from Japan. I've got a thermocouple fitted in the throttle body and the correct splitter plate makes a noticable difference. I'd therefore recommend doing it!

Also worth noting that the above plate comes with a hole for 1 water spray nozzle (central) and no sealing foam. You'll have to obtain something suitable from a body shop/DIY Shop to seal the plate to the bonnet.

Most breakers only want to sell the bits above with a Scoop. I'm sure Grade-A quoted me £100 for a scoop including the splitter plate. Api Engines also had some.

Have you fitted the taller Sti (MY01/02) Scoop? If you haven't the plate won't fit into the standard wrx scoop as it has ducts that peep up into the scoop. You'd have to modify/cut the plate and it would need to be done carefully.

I softened the cost of doing mine by selling a MY03-Type C splitter which won't fit a 01/02 car.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more info. I've got pictures of most of the bits if that helps.

Best regards,

Ian

Last edited by IanK Spec C; 17 July 2004 at 06:46 AM.
Old 16 July 2004, 07:01 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,
My WRX MY04 IC is 415L by 115 W by 75mm depth.
The STi MY04 IC to go on is 470L x 155W x 75D - so its just over 50% larger in surface area.
Perhaps its the 01/02 Sti IC that you may be refering to?
I'd rather get hold of the real thing than hack my WRX stuff apart, but I can't source these either.
Group buy??

Nick

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2004, 08:55 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris

I couldn't get hold of an Sti underbonnet tray and splitter when I fitted the Sti intercooler to myMY02 WRX so kept the WRX one. I had it Tek 3'd anyway and it manages to push out 325 BHP along with a TD05 fe....not too bad :

Shaun
Old 17 July 2004, 11:01 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys..................................now I really dont know what to do.

Defo getting The STI7 top scoop as I'm a big tart, where's the best/cheapest place to go

Ian, did you order all the parts from a dealer?

Cheers

Chris
Old 17 July 2004, 02:00 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Chris

I got my genuine STi scoop from TSL..cheaper than a dealer at the time.

Mind you I have seen some good copies of the Sti7 scoop from Jap Innovations....they even do an STi8 scoop that fits the bugeye

Cheers

Shaun
Old 17 July 2004, 02:16 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Shaun, not so keen on the STI8 scoop, bit like a dustpan and brush for my liking

Will give Jap Innovations a try, do they have a website?

Cheers

Chris

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Chris

I got my genuine STi scoop from TSL..cheaper than a dealer at the time.

Mind you I have seen some good copies of the Sti7 scoop from Jap Innovations....they even do an STi8 scoop that fits the bugeye

Cheers

Shaun
Old 17 July 2004, 03:26 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately yes, I paid the crazy Dealer prices for the bits! I bought my bonnet scoop 2nd hand in the correct colour of the SIDC Forums for £80.00 +P&P. However it would have been cheaper to buy the scoop complete with splitter and belows from Grade-A or API engines (http://www.apiengines.com/). I believe the scoop to be about £170 unpainted from a dealer!

Keep your eyes peeled in the for sale sections.

Best regards,

Ian
Old 17 July 2004, 04:32 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Try www.japanparts.com for the Sti7 scoop.Not sure if Simon Lau from www.stiracing.com does them either? I ordered my STi air filter from Simon and his service is second to none.......
Old 17 July 2004, 04:36 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Just had a butchers on http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop....ior+%2d+others and they're listing the STi7 hood scoop for a little over £55 (Based on todays exchange rate) and that's the genuine article too as I got mine from there.
If you get them to mark the item as a gift then you avoid import duty.There's no way on this earth that anywhere in the UK can even get close to that price let alone beat it!!!!

Good luck

Nick
Old 17 July 2004, 04:38 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Ian,
Can you mail me some pics of the gear pls as i might consider doing this too

nickadams@btinternet.com

Cheers
Old 17 July 2004, 04:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Chris

I think the website is www.jap-innovations.co.uk The guy who runs it I *think* is Rich Wild but not 100 percent sure. Might have a look now for a carbon one to match my bonnet

Shaun
Old 19 July 2004, 01:07 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Chris

I think the website is www.jap-innovations.co.uk The guy who runs it I *think* is Rich Wild but not 100 percent sure. Might have a look now for a carbon one to match my bonnet

Shaun

Carbon, very nice

Nick, I'll give Simon Lau a try, ordered a few parts from him before so I know the service is second to none

Thanks for all the help and info.

Chris
Old 19 July 2004, 04:42 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Just had a butchers on http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop....ior+%2d+others and they're listing the STi7 hood scoop for a little over £55 (Based on todays exchange rate) and that's the genuine article too as I got mine from there.
If you get them to mark the item as a gift then you avoid import duty.There's no way on this earth that anywhere in the UK can even get close to that price let alone beat it!!!!

Good luck

Nick

Nick, Japanparts seem to do the under scoop parts also, are you going to order from them?

Cheers

Chris
Old 19 July 2004, 05:24 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Nick/Chris,

Make sure you check you'll get both the metal plate with splitter and the rubber bellows as Subaru UK sell them as separate parts!

I ordered the metal plate first as they weren't sure. It arrived without the bellows and I had to wait another 4 weeks for some to come from Japan!

Best regards,

Ian
Old 20 July 2004, 11:20 AM
deeday
Scooby Regular

Default scoops

Can anyone tell me for sure if the STi8 bonnet scoop fits straight into the STi7?
Old 20 July 2004, 05:52 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

If you mean MY03/04 onto a MY01/02 then no. The hole in the bonnet is bigger on MY03/04.

There are copies available which fit a MY01/02 see earlier in this thread.

Regards,

Ian
Old 20 July 2004, 06:40 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Nope... the OEM Sti8 scoop does not fit the STi7 bonnet.

BUT

There are "Copies" of the Sti8 scoop which are designed to fit the STi 7 bonnet.....
www.jap-innovations.co.uk is the one I know but there may be more

Midlife.....
Old 13 October 2004, 07:20 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IAN K UK300
Chris,

Just done this.

Part No.& prices below:

90817FE110 METAL PLATE £51+VAT

90817FE040 Duct Bellows £28+VAT

9082-6FA00 CLIP £0.35 each + VAT (you'll need to buy 2 plus take the ones from your WRX plate)

I've been running the WRX plate/bellow for a few weeks whilst waiting for the rubber bellows to arrive from Japan. I've got a thermocouple fitted in the throttle body and the correct splitter plate makes a noticable difference. I'd therefore recommend doing it!

Also worth noting that the above plate comes with a hole for 1 water spray nozzle (central) and no sealing foam. You'll have to obtain something suitable from a body shop/DIY Shop to seal the plate to the bonnet.

Most breakers only want to sell the bits above with a Scoop. I'm sure Grade-A quoted me £100 for a scoop including the splitter plate. Api Engines also had some.

Have you fitted the taller Sti (MY01/02) Scoop? If you haven't the plate won't fit into the standard wrx scoop as it has ducts that peep up into the scoop. You'd have to modify/cut the plate and it would need to be done carefully.

I softened the cost of doing mine by selling a MY03-Type C splitter which won't fit a 01/02 car.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more info. I've got pictures of most of the bits if that helps.

Best regards,

Ian
Hi Ian

Do you have the pictures of this as i've just fitted a STi intercooler and want to know what other parts under the scoop i need to get the best results.

Cheers
Granby
Old 14 October 2004, 08:53 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey moment

Stop calling them STi7/8 etc and your identification problems will go away. If you must use STi8 then that is an 02MY car and the bonnet scoop is the same as an 01MY. 03/04/05MY are different to 01/02MY and the parts aren't interchangable.

Mike
Old 14 October 2004, 10:15 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Stop calling them STi7/8 etc and your identification problems will go away. If you must use STi8 then that is an 02MY car and the bonnet scoop is the same as an 01MY. 03/04/05MY are different to 01/02MY and the parts aren't interchangable.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooo!

Use their full names like STI Uk Type 2003! Least it isn't an Evo. A whole thread just dedicated to giving the full name of the car
Old 14 October 2004, 05:32 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Granby,

Please send an e-mail as per profile and I'll send some pics.

Regards,

Ian
Old 18 March 2005, 06:26 PM
suedehead_1
Scooby Newbie

Hi, might be able to help some of you out with the scoop splitters, i currently make the ones for the classics. Let me know if i can help. Cheers
Old 18 March 2005, 07:16 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

just fit a my02 sti scoop and aps spliter - got them second hand but easy to fit