Notices

Knocklinks

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2004, 05:49 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knocklinks

I've done a quicksearch and no real conclusive answers (I'm now wide open for a long fall )

Is it worth getting a knocklink fitted to a UK Std, I understand that they already have them and that new knocks are fiited to a boss in not the best suited location or................am I completely wrong. If the alarm bells start ringing in the original knocklink then it just puts the scoob into safe mode and you limpto the nearest garage with a bucket full of hard earned (which will probably not be nearly enough so take a spare shirt to cover your back) (oh and to be pc I am not saying that all garages are expensive just some ..and I'm not saying which ones).

If a knocklink isn't the answer then what is..

Ta

Ru
Old 15 July 2004, 06:02 PM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

I've had lots of different advice.

Some recommend some don't. I've not bothered for the moment as I've only decatted the exhaust on a JDM car and I don't drive it that hard anyway.

If I was going to raise boost, change turbo etc I'd probably get one.
Old 15 July 2004, 06:11 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

The knocklink and the knock-sensor are two different things.

The knock sensor helps the ECU adjust the timing of the vehicle when it detects knock....

The knock link is more of a visual aid to the driver, so you can see when the knock is taking place, letting you adjust your driving style "on the fly" by getting off-the-gas in order to help prevent long term damage to the engine from the high temps that come with det.

Worthwhile mod IMHO if you are on the road to Moddington.
Old 15 July 2004, 06:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

If your not modding then you need not bother. Mines lightly modded but dont use a Knocklink.

Bob
Old 15 July 2004, 06:23 PM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

But the position of the sensor you add directly effects the ability of the knocklink to visually show you detonation.

It it's not in a good position to pick up det then it can't show you what's happening.

The sensor the ECU uses is apparently in a better position so therefore can be relied on to retard ignition of your car isn't too heavily modded.

I'm pretty sure it was TSL who told me that a simple decat and panel filter change (green cotton) was not enough to warrant a knocklink.

Even David from API didn't mention them when I asked him what I could do for more performance from my Forester. Again he suggested decat and dawes type device but didn't mention a knocklink or afr as necessary.
Old 15 July 2004, 08:46 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gavnnik
B

Even David from API didn't mention them when I asked him what I could do for more performance from my Forester. Again he suggested decat and dawes type device but didn't mention a knocklink or afr as necessary.
Can't see a need for one on a basically standard UK car. It's designed to run on UK fuel and the det problem afflicting import cars doesn't come into play.

Long term it's a good thing, but in the modding spendathon on a UK car it's not a priority in my opinion.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 15 July 2004, 10:01 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

It's of marginal benefit on a UK standard car, though it can forewarn you of any problems. Although the ECU sensor is in a more "prime" location for better gain at the sensor, it must be noted that the ECU has a limited ability to advance / retard the ignition. In the event the ECU runs out of retard (if your fuel pump is on it's way out, for example, or your MAF is going) then the ECU will not neccesarily react properly (especially in the event of a MAF failure, where the ECU seems to react especially badly). In this situation, the knocklink will go crazy. It's less than £200, and it's a hell of a lot less than visiting API for a new engine ( Sorry David! ) so I'd argue that it makes a good investment (as long as you test it regularly).

Trending Topics

Old 15 July 2004, 11:01 PM
supersarbs
Scooby Regular

Got mine for £122 on the groupbuy from here.

Will moderatley mod my scoob in the future, but is well worth it for the peice of mind given IMO.

Cheers

Pete
Old 15 July 2004, 11:38 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Surely on a MY99/00 where the maf is known to be responsible for expensive explosions, regardless of mods, for the sake of £150/175, you'd be better off with one? The standard knock sensor can only do so much, and it obviously doesn't give you a visual heads up.
Old 16 July 2004, 11:32 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

I am not sure that a knocklink will pick up the signs of a gradually failing maf, only when it goes completely and that's usually too late. I understand the reason on a JDM as they run on 100 RON but UK is std super.

However looking at the threads this is an argument for and against, I really think that this is a matter of personal preference on a lightly modded UK but necessity on JDM.

My question is that if the knocklink is not a high priority then what is in terms of dials and monitors. Would it be more beneficial to look inot fitting an air/fuel gauge, surely this would also inform as to how the maf is performing. If it is what, where and how much. I can be sooooo demanding sometimes

Ru
Old 16 July 2004, 12:15 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

From my own experience, the subaru knock sensing system(certainly preMY01, not sure about after) is pretty pants. I've simultaneously monitored for det using knock correction on delta dash and a KL and the oem system misses a lot of light det, and transient severe det (ie a red flash on the KL, but no KC on DD). In addition, above 5800rpm the ecu stops listening to the knock sensor, so any det above there will not result in ignition retard, whereas if you see the det on your KL you can drive carefully and investigate the cause before your engine lets go.

Given all that however, it shouldn't really be necessary for light modification unless you're paranoid about MAF failure. DeltaDash is worth considering because you can monitor all sorts of useful info, perform accelerometer based power testing and read fault codes, all for only a bit more than a KL + sensor.

If you're planning heavy modification then I would say a KL is compulsory with DD desirable and a wideband o2 sensor kit very useful.

Simon

PS I've got all three
Old 16 July 2004, 03:16 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

I am not sure that a knocklink will pick up the signs of a gradually failing maf, only when it goes completely and that's usually too late. I understand the reason on a JDM as they run on 100 RON but UK is std super.
MAF fails, engine runs lean. Engine runs lean, you get det. Det is what kills the engine. Knocklink detects det.

It's that simple
Old 16 July 2004, 03:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got a UK car and bought a 2nd hand knocklink for about £90.

Not got major mods decat, K&N panel, ECUTEK2 HKS SSQV. Once on a hot day it lit up like a christmas tree after filling up with optimax. Straight off the pedal and took it easy for a while. It told me I was damaging the engine and back off(not in so many words obviously )

Rather £100 for ugly black box than £00000s on ugly melted mess on M4!
Old 16 July 2004, 03:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My personal opinion is that on a standard UK car there is no need to have a knocklink unless you really want to know whats going on. If a knocklink was needed on std cars then I'm sure subaru would fit one as standard, but they don't.

For lightly modified cars, hmm, well, maybe, I never had one on my WRX Wagon, and it was lightly modified (induction kit, full decat) did it det? maybe, but I never knew, and in the three years I had it, the engine did not let go, so one assumes it was running ok.

On JDM STi, or a mid to heavily modified car, it might be a good idea to have a knocklink to see what is going on. My thought however is this, if the car is mapped correctly, for the fuel you will normally use, then det should not occur, and so all should be well, maybe I'm wrong though (probably am).

Having said that, if Link did a digital knocklink, similar to the digital lamda link, then *I* would fit one, but that's simply because it's a bit bling lol.

If you're worried about you car, then someone to listen to the engine with det-cans, if they hear det, then get the problem looked at, if not, then I'd not worry about it.