Notices

Some direction please... Tuning My03 STi

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2004, 11:27 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some direction please... Tuning My03 STi

Ok team... I need some help here please on the direction to take with tuning my sti... hopefully you guys who have gathered the knowledge can give me some ideas... I know there are some very experienced tuners on here, and people who know a thing or two about wot and wot not to do! and also who's the best outfit to do the job... I know there are some tuning companies about but a few are just remappers... I'd prefer to use one that can do the lot and have experience...

goals: circa 360 to 380 bhp with around the same torque figure... with as much reliablity as possible, i.e a potential for 400+ but backed of, lower boost to allow for reliability...

So firstly what's the score with the turbo... will the one on a spec c be adequate??
If not what is the best to go for...?

Will any other internal parts need to be changed...

Will i need to change the intercooler for the standard quite large unit fitted...

I beleive i will need to change the injectors, is this the case and what size would do the job...

is it nessasary to change the headers to equal length to get the gains?

Can i keep the existing PPP set-up from the cat-back...

I beleive the 6 speed box should handle the extra push... hope this is the case...

or and a remap to get everything in sync...

Have a missed something?????

Who could do the required work and what would be the rough $$$

Thanks for any advice...

Dazza

Am i Wasing my time, Or do i drop it in against a Spec C...????
Old 08 July 2004, 08:36 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

HI

I'm not a tuner, but I supply the parts and have done for over 2.5 years now, I've also owned an STI 7 which at one point was quite heavily tuned, so I saw your post and decided to reply.

Will any other internal parts need to be changed...

Not at this stage of tuning.

Will i need to change the intercooler for the standard quite large unit fitted...

I know that the turbo in the Spec C is good for over 350BHP, not sure if anyone has tuned past that, so I'll leave this one open to the tuners out there...

I beleive i will need to change the injectors, is this the case and what size would do the job...
From my experience, if you are trying to get well over 300BHP both the fuel pump and injectors should be looked into. The Walboro is my most popular pump. I would leave the injectors alone until you have to justify the price for the performance you are looking for.

is it nessasary to change the headers to equal length to get the gains?

Many high BHP cars still have unequal length headers, the jury is still out as to whether or not equal lenghts give more power. Subaru use equal length headers on JDM STis for smoothness and torque more than anything.

Can i keep the existing PPP set-up from the cat-back...

Yes, but it is still a restrictive system, you'd be better off getting an HKS or Blitz system that are very free flowing. If you intend to decat it, you will need a check engine light fix and I would personally have the car remapped, as I know that the later models are effected by decats.

I beleive the 6 speed box should handle the extra push... hope this is the case...

The 6 speed box is a little tougher than the usual 5 speed, that's why more and more people are fitting them into highly tuned Classics and bug eye WRXs. The ratios are also considered better spaced by most advocates too.

or and a remap to get everything in sync...
As above I would advise getting a remap.

Have a missed something?????

Before you start, you need to get the exhaust system in place, ie do you want to decat it, and change the back sections? The decide on whether you want an induction kit or not, JR Panel filters work extremely well but if you are after higher BHP I would advise on getting a cold air induction kit like the Hyperflow.

Before deciding on a Front Mount Intercooler, give one of the massive top mounts a look, again Hyperflow do a lovely one for your car, and it gives a big gain in performance.

I'd say these are the things you need to look at before going for bigger power:

Back Box
Airfilter
Fuel Pump
Decats (remap)
Intercooler.

These mods can give you what you are looking for, but after that you'd need to really consider, injectors, front mounted intercoolers and bigger turbos etc.

I hope this has been of help, as I say, I'm NOT a tuner, but I know what parts work and have used them all in trial and error scenarios.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.co.uk
Old 08 July 2004, 12:15 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob Rawle has a Project on here which you may wish to read. From memory, for not a lot of money, he took an STi9 to the level you are looking for.
Full 3" exhaust system designed for him.
Induction system and re-map. Not sure if he changed the fuel pump.
The company is BRD/Bob Rawle Developments.
Old 08 July 2004, 12:40 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As you know Dazza, I am new to all this, but is the TSL Charge Cooler worth a look over a front mount ? They were showing it at NBO2. Huge water cooled top mount with its own rad at the front and a pumping system. Reckoned it was good for 30-40 bhp by providing intake temp guaranteed to be below 30?c.

Ignore me if I'm daft CU soon
Old 08 July 2004, 06:45 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

cheers guys...

Many thanx for the advice... will check out Bob...

Dazza
Old 08 July 2004, 06:53 PM
P.Cole
Scooby Regular

janspeed sti 9 down pipe
hks hiper
650 injectors
andy f turbo
sti panel filter
3 port boost soliniod? cant spell
uprated fuel pump walbro 255 and regulator
re-map by the guru bob rawle (BR Developments)
this is wat i would possibly look at doin