WRX MY04 stock suspension removal question

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2004, 09:49 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WRX MY04 stock suspension removal question

platform in Q : GDA sedan

There seems to be a lot of residual tension in the spring left at full extension even though one wheel is completely off the ground. I have only jacked the car up on one side, so it could be due to the anti-rollbar, I am not sure...

Would someone who has removed the stock suspension of the WRX's please give some guidance.

Will I need spring compressors to remove the stock suspensions or can I just use a jack with a wooden block chocked underneath the strut forks ? Will there be much tension left in the springs once I have lifted both wheels of the ground.

Cheers
Old 03 July 2004, 06:18 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 381 Likes on 303 Posts

the tension is in the strut body..................nothing to do with the wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you WILL need spring compressors and be very careful during removal as it sounds like you have minimal mechanical knowledge.................probs best left to soemone more experienced!! the tension they are under WILL cause heavy damage if just allowed to spring free!!!!!!!

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 04 July 2004, 03:11 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

stockcar , thanks for trying

Let me try explaining again, I think you are thinking I want to remove the springs from the dampers. But I am trying to remove the entire suspension set, and at extension, and finding a lot of compression still left in the spring. Since this will be the first time I will be working on the WRX, I didnt realise there is so much compression left in the spring even though the wheel have been jacked up already.

Well hope that explains better, again thanks for advise.... my explaining sux....
Old 04 July 2004, 10:28 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 381 Likes on 303 Posts

that's far easier....................three nuts inside engine bay on suspension top to undo and two large bolts thro' bottom of strut hold it to the hub....................

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 04 July 2004, 10:38 AM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
that's far easier....................three nuts inside engine bay on suspension top to undo and two large bolts thro' bottom of strut hold it to the hub....................

alyn - asperformance.com
Agreed .... if you are removing the complete strut, it doesn't matter that the spring is still compressed as the strut will still retain the spring even when removed from the car.
Old 04 July 2004, 11:14 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

thanks chaps. much appreciated