Notices

What boost can i run on MY95 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2004, 09:39 AM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What boost can i run on MY95 WRX?

I have a 95 WRX with the following mods:

HKS Superflow Induction Kit
Apexi Full System decatted 3" from turbo back
Blitz SBC-r Boost Controller

On the boost controller stage 3 and 4 are set at 1 and 1.1 bar, but when running 1.1 bar its like hitting a brick wall, obviously overboost protection on the ecu or something.
Does anyone have any any ideas on what boost pressure i can run the car at safely without risking detonation?

Would i need a fuel pressure regulator and a different ecu or what is the max the ecu will allow?

Im running a standard intercooler!

I would love to run the car at 1.3-1.4 bar!
Old 29 June 2004, 01:48 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Would i need a fuel pressure regulator
The OEM fuel system will become a problem with significantly increased boost over standard requiring an uprated pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator and Injectors.
I would love to run the car at 1.3-1.4 bar!
The boost will be limited by the std map sensor as its max range is 17.2psig and the ECU will either need to be replaced with a standalone unit or custom re-mapped to allow this level of boost.
Im running a standard intercooler!
TBH the slanty intercooler will also limit the amount of boost you can run as it isn't exactly the most efficient - either an uprated TMIC or FMIC will be required for the targets you are hoping for.
Does anyone have any any ideas on what boost pressure i can run the car at safely without risking detonation?
A combination of inadequate fuelling, high inlet charge temperatures (inefficient intercooler) and increased boost are just a few from a number of probable candidates which cause DET - For safety a Knocklink would also be a good purchase for early indication of detonation and is advisable when raising boost over standard.

Cheers
Old 29 June 2004, 04:07 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info dude, what is the standard boost on a 95 WRX then, thought it would be about 1 bar?

If i was to use one of those HKS AFR adjuster, would this allow me to run 1.1 bar safely?

Probably get a standalone ecu or one of those Greedy E-Manage Units, dont think the WRX 95 Ecu's are remappable!
Old 29 June 2004, 07:17 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

HKS AFR will alter your Air to Fuel Ratio not increase your fuel cut You need a HKS Fuel Cut Defender to raise your fuel cut level Before that you will need an uprated fuel pump and regulator and a Knocklink for safety sake
Std boost on 95 WRX is 0.9bar fuel cut is 1.1bar
Grant
Old 29 June 2004, 08:43 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

95 wrx ecu is sort of remappable it has a spare socket to plug in an aftermarket scooby ecu board do a search . I know they are had to get but it remaps the car for english fuel raises boost and fueling all for around £100. They make a big difference trust me !

Mark
Old 29 June 2004, 09:04 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

dont think the WRX 95 Ecu's are remappable!
There is the option of a Scoobyecu which is shown HERE this will raise the fuel cut thus enable the boost to be run around the 1.1bar mark with additional changes to the fuel/ignition maps

Cheers
Old 30 June 2004, 09:15 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with a Knock Link and AFR meter so you can preserve your engine. The Autometer AFR is good value at £50ish with white or black face. Scoobymania etc.
380cc injectors and a Walbro/FSE341 fuel pump will support 300bhp. A fuel pressure regulator may not be necessary but it does give you a facility to adjust AFRs over the whole spectrum.
Pumps and regulators are available from AS Performance, £100 + £95 inc postage. 0191 410 3770.
IF you want to run beyond 1.1ish then a fuel cut defender is required.
Suggest you have a chat with Rich Wilde at Jap Innovations who has turned out pretty fantastic results on two of his own cars, without going wild on the spec. (Pun intended) He can tell you what has worked for him.