Friends stuck abroad with a small problem

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2004, 02:30 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Friends stuck abroad with a small problem

A friend has just texted me to ask if Diesel will kill the car off

They are abroad and have accidently topped up with about half a liter of diesel.

Could they still drive and top up at every opportunity to "flush" it through or will they have to do the Drain it all and refil?

Half a litre in a 60 ltr tank can't be that bad can it? I reckon if they take it steady for say 20 miles then top up with proper fuel and do this every 20 miles or so, then it'll have flushed out after 100 miles or at least diluted the diesel to insignificance. Then run the car gently for about 300 miles topping up as they go.

Because they are abroad, obviously it'll be a right pain in the **** to do the draining thing

Mikey
Old 27 June 2004, 02:50 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be fine.

that will be less than 1% mix, wouldn't have thought it would cause any grief. would recommend not booting it tho just as a precaution.
Old 27 June 2004, 03:25 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesel in a petrol engine in very small quantities shouldn't hurt. It might gunge things up slightly but just replace the filters later. Just be mindful it will probably smoke for a while.

Nathan,,
Old 28 June 2004, 12:15 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Assuming it is a scoob or other turbo car...AVOID GOING ONTO BOOST
The reason being, it will run on diesel, it may put out some light whitish smoke out the back, smell abit and stall when cold. But it also makes the engine much much more prone to detonation/pinking.

The scoob does have knock control, but I doubt it would be able to retard the ignition/boost enough to cope with the low octane that diesel in the fuel causes. And knowing that scoobs can kill big ends and melt pistons on normal fuel, I would avoid anything above half throttle, avoid any form of boost, avoid low revs and very high revs.

I know this from experience as I run my bangers on petrol/diesel when I get hold of it from dozy customers who come into the family garage after filling with the wrong fuel and need it drained off...to which it gets promptly poured in one of my cars (except my scoob - of course). I can't turn down the offer of free fuel

if it is half a litre, it should be ok. But do take it easy.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 June 2004 at 12:18 AM.