Need info quick! regarding uprating turbo

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2004, 11:17 AM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need info quick! regarding uprating turbo

Hi all

as my TD04 turbo is dieing... and leaving lovely blue clouds behind me.... im hopefully getting a TD05 turbo by end of the week from someone on the forum.

questions!

A) will i be able to bolt this on replacement and be able to drive ok?
B) will it need remapping? (im from Jersey... so i would need to get boat to UK for this to be done)
C) would buying an uprated fuel pump be necessary?
D) help!

my cars

UK Impreza Turbo 2000
Scoobysport center decat+back box
TSL Grp A Downpipe
HKS Induction kit
Bleed valve fitted - but not in use(fully screwed down for normal psi)

hehe

Many thanks
James
Old 23 June 2004, 03:13 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I beleve it will bolt on without much fuss at all, unless you class the obligitory snapped stud as fuss

You wont need a re-map to drive te car, but you will to get the most from the turbo. The TD05 will flow more air at the same boost as the '04 so unless you have a knocklink to keep an eye on things I wouldn't be going nuts with it just yet. I wouldn't recomending turning up the boost either.

A fuel pump is not a requirement, but if you're going to re-map it it's a nice piece of mind, you'll need a new fuel press regulator to go with it though.

Dave
Old 23 June 2004, 03:30 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

James , is the TD05 you're buying Front Entry (the TD04 is...) If not, it'll need modifying...

I'm about to do the same to my uk98, so I'd be interested in how you get on. I believe that the only tricky part are the water pipes - again I'm led to believe that you'll be OK as long as the new turbo has its pipes on it, cos the TD04 banjos are a different size than the td05s....

Hope this helps,

Mark

PS _ I will be getting a remap within a few weeks, but this is to cater for my new injectors, FMIC, 57i, TD05, power FC and AVC-R...
Old 23 June 2004, 05:19 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

The boost control will be bad, unless you use alternative boost control (I use a Dawes MBC + FCD), as the duty's will be all wrong for the bigger turbo. I don't think there is much point getting a bigger turbo unless you are going to use its potential, as spool will be slower with more lag, so you need something to keep you smiling

I would advise an uprated fuel pump, the standard one cannot flow enough fuel to keep the AFRs safe with the better airflow the bigger turbo will give over 5000rpm. If you're going to get an uprated pump you might as well get an uprated regulator (it's a bitch to change with the turbo in place anyway, much easier whilst the turbo's off). All this goes assuming you have sufficient monitoring in the car (boost gauge/knocklink minimum, with wideband AFR very desirable).

I know all this because I've just done it on my MY99 turbo. Use optimax + suitable octane booster (I use methanol but NF would be as good) for added safety. Not sure whether it would be safe timing wise without a remap because I see you have an MY97.

With similar mods to you + FPR (3.5bar static fuel pressure)+ pump + VF34 + 19psi = 250bhp at wheels on DeltaDash Road Dyno

Simon

PS this is on an ae802 ecu without a remap. IDCs 92% at 6500rpm

Last edited by SiHethers; 23 June 2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 23 June 2004, 06:45 PM
James_TypeR
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies guys

not sure what entry the td05 is, will ask when the turbo becomes available

so ill get a uprated fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.

the knocklink i will get....

i have a boost gauge installed

as im in Jersey, getting the car mapped is impossible... without taking it on boat to UK... unless i can get a ecu from somewhere which i can just plug in... which has up'd fueling etc for a td05 turbo......... but alas... mapping is really independant based and you can just guess.

Jersey is a 40mph speed limit! so acceleration is everything here... maybe a Td04 will just do instead of going through the hassle of upping stuff to support the td05?
Old 23 June 2004, 08:24 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

hmm - if you not going over 40, DEFO stick with the TD04 - If yours is knackered, you can have mine for 50 quid +p&P .... Its done 110000 miles, but was making 280bhp in Feb on PEs rollers, combined with my K+n panel, TSL Full decat and Samcos - with PE remap of 98 ECU (This is a daughter board system - you can have that for 200 notes too !)

Mark - It'll be about a month before they're available - I use NO oil between services...
Old 23 June 2004, 08:26 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Default FPR Fitting

Simon, is it really that much easier to fit the FPR with the Turbo off ?

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2004, 08:43 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Mark

Definately. The difficulty is removing the screws from the original regulator on the fuel rail. Have a look down between the turbo and inlet manifold, and you'll see how tight it is. It's do-able but if the turbo's coming off anyway, you are better doing it at the same time.

Simon
Old 24 June 2004, 09:54 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks - I'll take a look - My original plan was to do pump/reg one weekend and turbo the next - might be better to combine them..

Mark
Old 24 June 2004, 03:06 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by markwild

I believe that the only tricky part are the water pipes - again I'm led to believe that you'll be OK as long as the new turbo has its pipes on it, cos the TD04 banjos are a different size than the td05s....
Is this right?? I have a TD05 to go on very soon, to replace a TD04 on WRX wagon in classic shape, turbo complete but bare of hoses...
Also thought the banjo's were for oil feed and the water hoses just push fit & jubilee clip ?

groan, more to sort before I get it on!
Old 24 June 2004, 07:43 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

err - sort of. I've said water pipes, cos that's what I read (somewhere on here) - but given its Banjos, I reckon its oil actually.....

I Correct Myself - the post is on 22b.com, but David Wallis defo says water pipes--- Now I'm confused...

Need to find someone whos done this ... HARVEY ! ?
Old 24 June 2004, 09:57 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Vulnax.... See here for the answer....

Mark