Notices

Help on turbo pipes MY 99

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2004, 03:48 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on turbo pipes MY 99

I am trying to check the turbo pipes that connect the solenid to actuator and the turbo nipple.

I noticed on some pics that it appears there is a :-

1) A T piece between the connection that joins wastegate actuator turbo nipple and the solenoid

I dont have this!

My layout is like this -

standing at the front of the car looking at the engine manifold -

3 nipples on the manifold the small one to the left of the feed that goes to the dump valve

This leads from manifold and then has a T one side to boost guage/ the other goes across into the small cylinder located above the boost soleniod. Then a small length of tube goes from this cylinder to a small device with an electrical feed.

At the boost solenoid looking at the cylinder the nipple that is in line with the clylinder (bottom most connection) goes to the turbo nipple

the other connection from the solenoid (90 deg to the cylinder) goes to the waste gate actuator.

NO T- piece in between these connections.

The CAR is a MY 99 WRX sti.

any help most appreciated.
Old 20 June 2004, 03:58 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have replied to your other thread detailing how it should be laid out, however;

This leads from manifold and then has a T one side to boost guage/ the other goes across into the small cylinder located above the boost soleniod. Then a small length of tube goes from this cylinder to a small device with an electrical feed.
This is for the MAP sensor, which is correct. The boost guage also sounds like it is T'd in at a normal place.

At the boost solenoid looking at the cylinder the nipple that is in line with the clylinder (bottom most connection) goes to the turbo nipple

the other connection from the solenoid (90 deg to the cylinder) goes to the waste gate actuator.
Assuming that this is a 2 port solenoid, then as you've obviously sussed out this is incorrect. (The 3 port solenoid's do work in this fashion, with the 3rd port going back to the intake).

The 2 port solenoid is fed from the bottom of the T between the compressor outlet and the wastegate actuator. Then 2nd port on the solenoid then returns back into the air intake (to the hole that's blanked off by the sound of it), it acts in a very similar way to the bleed valve that you've fitted but controlled by the ECU in pulses.
Old 20 June 2004, 04:11 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

hi zhastaph,
as they say a picture is worth a 1000 words

Old 20 June 2004, 04:17 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Zsataph your a hero!!

so basically I need some pipes and a tee in order to correct this. It seems strange that the intake is blanked off with a proper factory blank?

why would they do this?

The car came from japan with a faulty MAF and lambda - that are now replaced.
Old 20 June 2004, 04:21 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Yeah, your piccy looks exaclty as you describe.

Ignore the map sensor (the other solenoid and sensor), this is totally fine, I'm not sure whether it's meant to come off of a T or not on the manifold, but either way it doesn't matter, as long as it sees the true pressure on the manifold side of the butterfly then it's fine.

The boost solenoid however is completely and utterly wrong. The pipe that you have connected to the WG Actuator should go into the air box, AFTER the MAF but BEFORE the turbo. The end currently connected to the compressor outlet should be connected to the bottom of a T that is connected between the compressor outlet and the wastegate actuator. Your best bet is to pop into a dealer (or a breakers) on Monday and get the missing bits. In the meantime a bleed valve of Dawes etc set at about 15/16 psi should be fine.
Old 20 June 2004, 04:22 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

The most likely reason is that the owner had a manual boost controller of some description connected to it. Somewhere along the lines you'd have to then blank this off otherwise unmetered air will end up getting sucked in.
Old 20 June 2004, 04:25 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Just another point of note, I see a cone filter poking out of the corner of one of your pics, these are generally acknowledged to be bad for MAFs on 99/00 Scoobs, with little or no real performance gain. You'd be much better putting the standard air box back with a decent panel filter.

And don't forget to use octane booster with every tank of petrol.

Trending Topics

Old 20 June 2004, 04:34 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Zhastaph.

The apexi zero sports induction came with the car - it was a heavily modified street racer/ track car.

yes I understand that these may not be the best bet - and probably led to the MAF failing in the first place.
Old 20 June 2004, 05:10 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

ummm just my suspicious mind BUT-

I was told the MAF was replaced however I cannot be sure. Would connecting the pipes the "wrong" way as above - prevent the car from hunting revs (one of the symptoms of a failed MAF)?
Old 20 June 2004, 10:21 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

I just had another look at the connections at the manifold

from left to right

far left - to solenoid as described above

middle - seems to go to another sensor. I have seen this one blanked off onsimilar cars!

right - to dumpvalve