Notices

Broken down

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2004, 04:57 PM
jammin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken down

Fuel pump has stopped working(i cant hear it). Car is in the Leeds area and i dont know any garages in the area who can fix it or where i can get parts from.(im from Scotland) Any help getting it going again would be appreciated.Any info on garages that could help or parts centres nearby would also help. Its a 1994 wrx import so dealers wont touch it:O(
Old 19 June 2004, 05:13 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Spooky! Mine has allegedly stopped working also...

The breakdown man and another techy said test the power supply to the pump with a meter to see if its that. So I did - a healthy power supply on turning the key.

So I rushed to Demon Tweeks (in a mates car), got a Sytec uprated pump (£130) and fitted it. I turned the ignition and like this morning, the engine turns but no firing!!!

I have the same problem of not having any garage to trailer it to and I need to driive it URGENTLY!!

HELP!

ps. I didn't test the new pump...maybe i'll go and do that....

The car is a 98 UK turbo....
Old 19 June 2004, 06:54 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate have you triesdthe relay it might be that mate also this may sound a bit thick but have you actually tried hitting the pump to get it started a few people have said this has cured the problem with sticking pumps. mine got fuk3d but the car started and it started to splutter and make loads of noise does yours do this if not then just try the gentle knocking method.
if not look in for sale section there are a few walbro pumps for sale buy them and get it fitted not a big thing.
Old 19 June 2004, 08:06 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy New problem!

Hi Mo, dunno if your reply was to Jammin or me, but I tested BOTH pumps and they both worked fine!

So maybe its the relay...I presume its in the little black box under the bonnet.
I swapped all the relays around (they're all the same) and turned the key - still nothing...

I feel like torching the damn thing!
Old 19 June 2004, 08:17 PM
chrisbridge
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine had a similar problem on an early wrx and it turned out to be a poor connection on a plug under the back seat. May be worth a look.
Old 19 June 2004, 08:21 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Yeah i already checked those with a meter and they were fine...

Anybody know where the fuel pump relay is and how do i identify it?

Cheers, and thanx for all suggestions, btw
Old 20 June 2004, 02:14 PM
jammin
Scooby Regular

Its allways been a noisey bugger ever since i bought the car but ive put that down to it being uprated. When i put ignition on it usually starts up and whines like a banshee. Now it isn't making any noise whatsoever. My biggest problem is not knowing anyone in the Leeds area who will work on imports. Secondly not knowing where to get parts from. As for giving it a wee knock, dont even know where the dammed thing is:O). Any good motor sparkies in the area to test the relay/pump?? Thanks for all your suggestions as well.

Cheers Jammin

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2004, 09:19 AM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Jammin

This is the way I tested it - you can use a bulb with 2 wires or preferably a test meter.

On my car, a 98 UK, there's an oval shaped access panel under the carpet, in the boot area right behind the rear offside seat. Remove this panel. Best to fold down the backrest to access it from the cabin.

Unplug the little connector plug.

Turn the ignition to on (but not to start) remember to disarm the immobiliser.

Put the test negative wire into the vehicle loom connector plug (R15 I believe; see ravensblade wiring pdf's), onto a black wire contact pin.

Put the positive test wire onto the coloured wires to check for supply.

AFAIK, thats how to check the circuit...

The pump is fitted to a bracket which is attached to the oval panel that you see with 3 hoses coming off it.

Last edited by Hashi; 21 June 2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 21 June 2004, 11:18 PM
jammin
Scooby Regular

Well what can i say apart from TYPICAL SCOOB!!! Went to try n get it going this morning, turned the key and it started first time. Its as if there was never a problem. Anyone know what the source of the problem is if it works one sec and doesnt the next? Surely cant be the pump itself or it wouldn't work period.
Old 22 June 2004, 06:42 PM
Hashi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jammin
Well what can i say apart from TYPICAL SCOOB!!! Went to try n get it going this morning, turned the key and it started first time. Its as if there was never a problem. Anyone know what the source of the problem is if it works one sec and doesnt the next? Surely cant be the pump itself or it wouldn't work period.

TSK!
Well after I trailered mine to an Auto Spark....it turned out to be a dodgy earth! Must've took him 20 mins and the ****** charged me £80!!

So check the earthing point for the fuel pump - that could be the culprit!