do rattles drive you nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 06:13 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry do rattles drive you nuts?

Yo all...

Have a new <1000 mile WRX - running in waiting for PPP to be installed at first service.

Overall really pleased with the car!

Now I know you are not paying for 'quality' in the same way you might be with say a BMW (I know the money has gone on more worth while things ).

However, the car has developed a rattle coming from the nearside back of the car, not outside, but sounds something like the roof lining vibrating when I go over anything other than a very smooth road.....

Now, I'm sure once I can drive it hard I will not care for the odd rattle here and there - but at the moment driving carefully its really doing my head in. I got to get the wife in the back to see where it is coming from - but I swear I will loose it big time if I can't find the cause ..!!!

grrrrrr - really fustrated

MArk
Old 17 June 2004, 08:19 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you haven't had the passenger door card one, the front of the driver door card or the instrument surround?..... sounds like you got a good 'un then

Mines going in for the FOURTH time to sort out the passenger side door panel .. grrr

Nick
Old 17 June 2004, 08:23 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by markus_UK
Yo all...

Have a new <1000 mile WRX - running in waiting for PPP to be installed at first service.

Overall really pleased with the car!

Now I know you are not paying for 'quality' in the same way you might be with say a BMW (I know the money has gone on more worth while things ).

However, the car has developed a rattle coming from the nearside back of the car, not outside, but sounds something like the roof lining vibrating when I go over anything other than a very smooth road.....

Now, I'm sure once I can drive it hard I will not care for the odd rattle here and there - but at the moment driving carefully its really doing my head in. I got to get the wife in the back to see where it is coming from - but I swear I will loose it big time if I can't find the cause ..!!!

grrrrrr - really fustrated

MArk
I had a rattle from the same area, got the girlfriend to sit in the back and find it. It was the rear passenger grab handle above the window. Pulled it out a bit and the rattle has never come back

Dipster
Old 17 June 2004, 09:00 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Mark - for what it's worth I think there have been several owners of 03 WRX's with the same rattle that you have posting on here.

I also had this rattle on my 03WRX and it really drove me nuts. I had my dealer investigate it twice and they finally 'improved' it by tightening the nut that holds the rear nearside seatbelt tensioner in place. With hindsight I think they should have put some padding behind the plastic trim that houses it too as I still get a slight occasional rattle over VERY rough/frost-damaged surfaces, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was, and I can live with it.

I had a couple of other rattles when I first had my WRX and because it was the most I had spent on a car and the first brand new car I had bought I expected it to be perfect. I got a bit obsessed with hunting down rattles tbh. Even had my dad lying in the boot whilst I hooned around trying to identify a rattle Turned out to be a stone trapped in the towbar assembly!

It's weird how sounds sometimes seem to be coming from one part of the car when in actual fact they are coming from somewhere else. I thought I had a rattle from the passenger airbag area, and was going to get my dealer to take the whole dash out to cure it. Then one day I realised that the rattle was actually coming from my sun visor when it was pulled down - which explained why it was so intermittent and hard to replicate on different days over the same piece of road !

So to be sure get someone to sit in the back whilst you drive around.

Now, one year on, for 99% of the time my scoob is totally rattle free and feels solid and well built
Old 17 June 2004, 11:07 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Scoob, solid , well built....3 phrases that have no right to reside in the same sentence!!
Old 18 June 2004, 09:37 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

lol - considered getting a newer scoob so I didn't have to put up with as much rattling - think I'll stick with me classic now!
Old 18 June 2004, 12:49 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

my classic is quiet as a mouse

spent half a day sorting them all out, was a doddle
Old 18 June 2004, 02:16 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

I have a creaking noise coming from the rear wind screen of my MY04 WRX. Everytime I go over an uneven surface which would cause chassis to twist the noice occurs. The noise appears to be amplified by the rear window. I just turn the stereo up so I can't here it (or my three week old daughter and wife screaming at each other in the back).

The car is going in for its 1000 mile service in two weeks so I am hoping the garage will solve it; not holding out much hope though.
Old 19 June 2004, 09:44 AM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

Dear All

Firstly thanks for all the comments / advice so far.

Update: I think my prob is more like Powerkiter than anyone else. Having sat in the back I have failed to really identify where the noise is coming from. I would say it is more of a rattle (like a loose bolt or washer) than a 'creak' - but that descriptions of noise are subjective.

Its coming from 'the back window', but like Powerkiter it seams to be 'amplified' since I really can not pin it down to anyone area (although I would say its more from the near side than the offside). I have stuck me head (well ear) into the boot area though the drop down middle section of the seat. It does not appear to be coming from there.

I have looked at the window seals (so far as I can) and the window seems secure. SO it must be something under the nearside rear trim (i do not think its the seatbelt mount?) or under the rear shelf (but I can not see what that can be as I have had a good look from the boot area ....

I guess I have to wait for the 1000 mile service on the 28th

chow for now

MArk
Old 19 June 2004, 11:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Trim rattles are easily sorted with a tube of silicon, Put a blob on the associated clips for the offending item and where it makes contact with other components and put it back together.

Strangely I have never had a rattle in my classic scoob, apart from the rear heat shield on my back box - but you can only hear that when you outside and crank up the CD player
Old 20 June 2004, 06:55 PM
markus_UK
Scooby Regular

GRRRRR !!

GRR GRRRR GRRRRR

If there is one thing worse than the rattle. ....

Its the rattle ... that ....

COMES ...

then

GOES .....

then COMES BACK AGAIN !!

GRRR !!!

With respect to all of my comments ago .. all rattles stopped ..... yippeee !!! .. and then two days later started again ....

give me an electrical fault ...ANY DAY !!

MArk
Old 20 June 2004, 06:57 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Trim rattles are easily sorted with a tube of silicon, Put a blob on the associated clips for the offending item and where it makes contact with other components and put it back together.
Perhaps you ought to tell that to Subaru then as they have great difficulty with mine

Nick
Old 12 July 2004, 07:53 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markus_UK
I think my prob is more like Powerkiter than anyone else. Having sat in the back I have failed to really identify where the noise is coming from. I would say it is more of a rattle (like a loose bolt or washer) than a 'creak' - but that descriptions of noise are subjective.

Its coming from 'the back window', but like Powerkiter it seams to be 'amplified' since I really can not pin it down to anyone area (although I would say its more from the near side than the offside). I have stuck me head (well ear) into the boot area though the drop down middle section of the seat. It does not appear to be coming from there.

I have looked at the window seals (so far as I can) and the window seems secure. SO it must be something under the nearside rear trim (i do not think its the seatbelt mount?) or under the rear shelf (but I can not see what that can be as I have had a good look from the boot area ....

I guess I have to wait for the 1000 mile service on the 28th

chow for now

MArk
Does anyone know what this could be, I have exactly the same rattle. I have checked the grab handle-not that, I have had the rear offside plastic quarter panel off and left it off to test it-not that, but sound seems to be metallic and coming from that area. Only occurs when chassis is in a twisting scenario and on rough surfaces, but annoying all the same Mark, have you found a cure yet?
Old 13 July 2004, 11:47 AM
sheepslayer
Scooby Newbie

Wink

I've had a noise coming from my drivers door ever since day 1 - sounds like a stone or something in the door. Accelerate hard and you can hear it rattle it's way to the back, brake and it comes forward. Have looked in the door and there is nothing to see.

Anyway, I recalled the universal fix that I always used when all I could afford was buckets-on-wheels, and hey-presto, no more problem.

SS.

Oh yeah - the fix - turn the stereo up.
Old 13 July 2004, 06:13 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Bit like the story of dock workers who used to put empty bottles in the void spaces of ships they built, when the ship rolled, so did the bottles and subsequently drove the sailors bonkers looking for the bloody things!

I've got a rear nearside clunk in my classic wagon, try clicking seatbelt clip into it's holder so its not flapping about, will look at the grab handle when I drive it later, otherwise it might mean an afternoon getting aquainted with some of the bits that haven't seen the light of day since it left Japan.......