Notices

my94 Import Wagon - Advice on first tuning stages

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2004, 04:55 PM
SpideyMan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my94 Import Wagon - Advice on first tuning stages

I have a recently bought a my94 import wrx wagon.

It has come with what appears to be a Apexi Megaphone exhaust. Apart from that it is completely standard.

I am running the car on optimax and had the oil changed to magnatex.

In one of the all too common "ebay impuse buy" moments I have purchased a Greddy Profec B Spec 2 electronic boost controller, HKS fuel cut defender and HKS Iridium spark plugs. All of these items remain unfitted at the moment following conflicting advise.

I have heard that the safest first option would be to have an aftermarket ecu fitted with remap. I would consider this if the cost were to come to the £500-£700 mark.

Firstly, is there an ecu upgrade available for my car in this price range.

Secondly, would it be feasable to fit the parts I have purchased mentioned above to my car with a mininal increase in boost relatively safely on their own.

Finally, does anybody know of a garage in the south west (preferable Devon) area that would be willing to fit my products without the now all too familiar "Tut, Tut, Tut ... NO!"

I know its a lot of questions but I'm sure the techies among you have faced these questions before.
Old 04 June 2004, 05:24 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

There is an ECU option for less cash than you have specified namely a ScoobyECU but as yours is a JDM Wagon it will have the smaller TD04 turbo (UK Wagons to 96 had the bigger TD05 Turbo) fitted meaning it need the be-spoked map available from PAVLO. You may be able to 'get away' with running a UK Wagon Scoobyecu but using your Greddy Profec as a standalone boost control but the standard map sensor will still limit the boost as its maximum range is 17.2psig.
You could fit the parts you have mentioned without remapping but remember the ECU is mapped for Japanese fuel (100Ron) so could be detrimental to the life of the engine. When increasing the boost it is imperative to fit a Knocklink so to give an indication of Engine Detonation - this could save you an expensive engine rebuild.

Cheers

Last edited by Delboy2; 04 June 2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06 June 2004, 02:10 PM
SpideyMan
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advise

I have heard a lot of talk of the scoobyecu, most of which has been talk on their difficulty of obtaining. Is their supply still as limited?
I have also been considering having an Apexi Power FC fitted and mapped which would cost approximately £700.

Is their any other recommended re chipping options available up to that price range that you know of that would give me a power increase as well as remapping for UK fuel.