Notices

The sound of an 04 WRX STI..

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 04:28 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The sound of an 04 WRX STI..

Every day at work at the same times i get disturbed by the LOVELY sound of an 04 WRX STI slowly cruising past the office.
The chap who owns the car works a few units down, hes only had the car a few weeks, but what a fooking awesome noise that car makes.........not too loud, just a nice deep burble.

As im looking at getting a Subaru in the next month or two, probably just a MY00 Turbo 2000, what exhaust system is required to get the same spec noise. Is it a pro-drive system or a system that is only available for the new type sti ??

I want that noise coming from my Subaru once i get it, not too loud and not to quiet, a nice subtle evil sound.

Any comments or advice would be good.

Cheers
Marc.
Old 03 June 2004, 04:34 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Most of the exhausts you could get will produce variations on that theme. As for what exhaust the guy's got, erm, how do you think we're going to know?!

At end of day, he could have just about anything on there, so if you want the same noise, the only way to go is to tap the guy on the shoulder and ask what it is. If he's got a PPP exhaust system, you can buy something almost identical from a Subaru dealer for the MY2000 car. You may find more cost-effective alternatives elsewhere though.
Old 14 June 2004, 11:02 PM
Karl Storch
Scooby Newbie

I'm looking for an exhaust that would give my subaru the type of noise you have described. My car sounds more like a ford cortina though starting to get better now as the milage gets higher. 04 wrx sti spec c ltd. think the noise issue is down to the twin scroll turbo
Old 14 June 2004, 11:20 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You won't get your car to sound like one of the unequal length header equipped cars no matter what exhaust system you fit.

As you correctly suspect, the twin scroll turbo (and primarily the equal length tubular headers) fundamentally changes the sound of the engine. If you wanted a Spec C that burbled, you should have got an 02MY bugeye (or an S202), or indeed an 03/04MY UK/Euro spec car.

Still, rather than thinking of what you lose with your car, you should think about what you gain. The headers and turbo get you more power, torque and better throttle response. You can also achieve a hard edged snarling exhaust note which is much mor reminiscent of the current WRC cars.
Old 03 January 2005, 07:19 PM
mr_joolzS202
Scooby Regular

Yeah Spec C S202 is what u want. I have one for sale if u interested. Neg on price.

can send pics if req'd
Old 03 January 2005, 08:13 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Is there a time warp thing going on here?
Old 04 January 2005, 12:39 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

lol someone found the thread 20 pages in and made a post, no time warp i think mr zulu