Notices

Superchipīs Hit or S**t

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 12:01 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchipīs Hit or S**t

A mate of mine has been quoted buy a firm in the UK, he can get an exhaust system chip and dyno. All for around 1000quid. Giving around 280BHP-Not sure on tourque.

I explained that chips were a bad idea ( I Use ECUTEK 3 ) Am i right in advising that chips ie "piggyback" are a bad idea.

I also said that this would invalidate his warranty ( its a 5 week old WRX )
He mentioned the guy on the phone said if warranty work was required and Subaru/IM wouldnt pay out Superchips would.

Sounds a little suspect to me.

Has anybody got any comments bad or good about this idea.

Cheers Aston.
Old 03 June 2004, 01:32 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

one word

Bargepole

I think superchip still use the bleed valve system (looked at one myself for my MY03 STI)

Not as "safe" as a generic ecutek re-map....

A lot of cars benefit from superchips, but I get the impression that Subarus are a little more critical on fueling etc to just "fool" the ecu.

edited to say:

Plus I bet if anything did go wrong that could be partly the fault of the superchip, your mate would have a devil's job getting them to cough up any cash... sales talk is one thing, admitting liability is another..

Last edited by scooby L; 03 June 2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03 June 2004, 08:18 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Loads of people here advise to keep well away from Superchip as they do not increase the fuelling at the same time as increasing everything else...could run lean and could make the engine go 'pop' (Note: Very load and expensive pop).

Get a decent upgrade or don't bother at all...just some advice.
Old 03 June 2004, 09:45 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I still have one fitted on a MY01 WRX , and it dosn't cause me any problems, running at around 17psi, however I have got gauges and a knocklink fitted so I can keep an eye on it. It does use the bleed valve system & an FCD, but AFAIK thats all a dawes device does with out the FCD.

I'm sure many people will say dont do it without having a good knowledge of them (which I dont) or they've "read it" somewhere else.

The bottom line is if he's going to get one fitted, make sure he's got adequate engine monitoring i.e. boost & det, as the statement made about superchips footing the bill is most likely Bull$h1t.

just to add, I'll be removing mine hopefully later this year ,to get a custom EcuTek
Old 03 June 2004, 11:02 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Cheers guys, he was after a fast answer for this weekend.
I figured as much, hence the reason i went EcuTek

I will pass on the info

once again thanks all

Aston