Notices

What Maximum power out of JDM STi MY01?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 12:11 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Maximum power out of JDM STi MY01?

Ive heard about 380BHP is about the top line to expect from standard internals. Someone correct me if im wrong.

However im at a loss as i own a JDM MY01 WRX STi and have been told by john lichfied from lichfield imports that the cams and turbo are different (better/stronger) on imports STi's and also the cylinder head has been treated and my car also has forged pistons and rods where the UK spec HAS NOT.

So using this knoledge i would assume that you could tune an import Sti way over a UK one.
I mean if your throwing more boost and power into the car then you really need forged stuff to make your engine last.

But at lichfield imports they were not prepared to take the car over 330BHP for whatever reason but i would assume its because of safety issues.
But if you can tune a UK STi to 330BHP then can someone please tell me why then does that have to be the same power level for the stronger import STi?
Not having a go here at lichfields at all just a question.

Surley stronger internals = more performance increases possible?

Oh and other than a re-map of the ECU and exhaust what other parameters can be done to give more power and what other components could be upgraded like lightened pulleys etc to make this a reality.

Any offers?
Old 30 May 2004, 01:48 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ WATTS
Ive heard about 380BHP is about the top line to expect from standard internals. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Erm, you're wrong, but only in as much as there's no single "right" answer. At end of day, how are you defining this? The amount of power you can get for five minutes on a rolling road before it sh*ts itself, or the amount of power you can get while still expecting the thing to be reliable for one/two/three/etc. years within the context of a sensible maintenance and servicing schedule?

However im at a loss as i own a JDM MY01 WRX STi and have been told by john lichfied from lichfield imports that the cams and turbo are different (better/stronger) on imports STi's
The cams are subtly different on the JDM cars, but the turbo on your MY01 car is likely to be the same (or very similar) to the one supplied on MY02-04 STi Type UK's.

and also the cylinder head has been treated and my car also has forged pistons and rods where the UK spec HAS NOT.
Depends which model year cars you're comparing. Think you'll find that the STi Type UK's have pistons and rods that aren't too different from what you've got. It's the MY03 and 04 Japanese STi's that got the slightly funkier internals.

In any case you are forgetting that reciprocating bits are only part of the equation. As your power target increases, you will have to get involved in changing other components. The sensible power limit for your turbo and injectors is around 350bhp for starters, so you'd be looking at tossing them in the trash if you wanted to shoot for 380, and would almost certainly find an intercooler upgrade was necessary too.

So using this knoledge i would assume that you could tune an import Sti way over a UK one.
Not really. That's one incorrect assumption being caused by another incorrect assumption.

But at lichfield imports they were not prepared to take the car over 330BHP for whatever reason but i would assume its because of safety issues.
Depends what question you asked them. If it was "how much power can you get from remapping my car", I can see why that would be their answer, as that's a reasonable return for a bog-standard JDM MY01 STi. If you told them you were prepared to change a load of other bits at the same time, I daresay the answer would have been correspondingly higher.

But if you can tune a UK STi to 330BHP then can someone please tell me why then does that have to be the same power level for the stronger import STi?
You are incorrect in thinking that your engine is significantly stronger than an STi Type UK's. It also has the same (or very similar) turbo, injectors and intercooler, which largely explains why the power ceiling will be about the same, unless you start changing other bits. The only real difference you would be likely to find would be that the Japanese car would develop its power further up the rev range due to its wilder cams.

Oh and other than a re-map of the ECU and exhaust what other parameters can be done to give more power and what other components could be upgraded like lightened pulleys etc to make this a reality.
Have you tried having a read of the technical forums, or even trying the search button? Pointing you in the right direction is one thing, but we're not here to spoon-feed you information you could easily find out yourself.

As stated above, turbo, injectors and intercooler at minimum would need sorting prior to remap if you wanted to approach the power target mentioned at the beginning of your post, while there are a hundred and one other bits you potentially could change. Have a read of the technical forums and you'll soon start to get the idea.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 30 May 2004 at 01:52 AM.
Old 30 May 2004, 09:21 PM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply greasemonkey.

You are incorrect in thinking that your engine is significantly stronger than an STi Type UK's. It also has the same (or very similar) turbo, injectors and intercooler, which largely explains why the power ceiling will be about the same, unless you start changing other bits. The only real difference you would be likely to find would be that the Japanese car would develop its power further up the rev range due to its wilder cams.
Im only going from what John Lichfied said to me on the phone regarding my car "JDM MY01 STi" which he asked what model and type it was.
All of the below he said were, and i quote: "BETTER" than UK spec.

Quote:

Turbo IS different, cams are different, Forged rods & Forged pistons, cylinder head is treated with somert (maybe a few cans of stella or somert! ).

Im pretty sure he knows what cars have what.

As for 380 horses, i read a thread somewhere on here a while ago where a few members said that 380 is about tops for pushing the car.

However 350 is a more reasonable power level i could live with like you have said and for best of both, performance/reliability.
Old 30 May 2004, 09:57 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ WATTS
Im only going from what John Lichfied said to me on the phone
John Litchfied? Iain Litchfield is the head honcho there, is that who you meant?

Im pretty sure he knows what cars have what.
I'm not getting into a "he said she said" type p*ss*ng contest. Suggest you either search here, or do some research on the internet to find out exactly what the differences are.

As for 380 horses, i read a thread somewhere on here a while ago where a few members said that 380 is about tops for pushing the car.
You read all sorts of stuff on here, much of it is wrong. Like I said earlier, there's no single "right" answer to this question. There's an inverse relationship between power level and expected lifespan, so it all depends on how long you want it to last, how often you can live with having it serviced, as well as who is doing the component specification and mapping.
Old 31 May 2004, 01:13 PM
fuz
Scooby Regular

horses are not the problem its the torque

when u go over 300 lb/ft u are in the zone for stripping 3rd gear
Old 31 May 2004, 02:02 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by fuz
horses are not the problem its the torque

when u go over 300 lb/ft u are in the zone for stripping 3rd gear
Its an MY01 so a bug eye with the 6 speed box, much better at taking the power than the 5 speed

Tony