Pulling away briskly...

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2004, 05:15 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling away briskly...

...without killing the clutch. Whenever I pull away, the car bogs down. How many revs are needed to pull away, without having a bill for a new clutch. What sort of milage can I expect out of it?

Last edited by Jamesemt; 25 May 2004 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Can't spell!!
Old 25 May 2004, 08:02 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

i tend to find that 4500 grand with the clutch at biting point and the handbrake applied with thumb on button ready for simulataneous release of both provides good results.

it will wear the clutch more but if performed correctly should not cause excessive wear.

its down to how often you do it really. if you are doing 1/4's at santa pod et al reguarly then it will wear quicker than say, if you are employing the technique to despatch the odd punter from the traffic light derby!

persoanlly i would not worry about the wear and enjoy the car - you bought it to make you happy i assume!

when it dies, replace with AP or exceddy - they have alot more clamping pressure and yield better against slip and subsequently wear.
Old 25 May 2004, 09:08 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
...without killing the clutch. Whenever I pull away, the car bogs down. How many revs are needed to pull away, without having a bill for a new clutch. What sort of milage can I expect out of it?
I've had the same problem so i tried a launch today, got it to about 4500 revs and dropped the clutch, got i little bit of wheel spin and it rocketed away , will be going to Santa pod for the jap show so will be trying this method then
Old 25 May 2004, 10:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Anywhere above 3K, Slip the clutch until you feel the boost come on full and off and away.

I find 3800 to 4000 is my magic launch rpm....but I have a few mods so it's a little more perky.

The clutch can take a surprising amount of abuse, presuming you won't do it more than twice everyday Helps stop the judder to

A hard driven or badly driven car...(re: Mrs Moggins who never takes her foot off the clutch) or people who "hold" the clutch on hills, in slow traffic or at lights etc will expect 40-50K miles minimum. But they can easily last twice that...all down to the driver. You can drive it hard and still make it last 80K+.
Old 25 May 2004, 10:55 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Anywhere above 3K, Slip the clutch until you feel the boost come on full and off and away.

I find 3800 to 4000 is my magic launch rpm....but I have a few mods so it's a little more perky.

The clutch can take a surprising amount of abuse, presuming you won't do it more than twice everyday Helps stop the judder to

A hard driven or badly driven car...(re: Mrs Moggins who never takes her foot off the clutch) or people who "hold" the clutch on hills, in slow traffic or at lights etc will expect 40-50K miles minimum. But they can easily last twice that...all down to the driver. You can drive it hard and still make it last 80K+.
Bloody hell - I thought the clutch would only last around 10k driving hard...Time to give it some stick
Old 26 May 2004, 07:02 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it like you HATE it!

Now, that's why you bought a scooby! Agree with everything said above, there are a lot of people practicing out there!
Old 26 May 2004, 08:06 AM
codek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I've not had my car that long, but can't say i'd be able to feel the boost come on?? how can you tell? ( No gauge for me!! )