Notices

anyone point to thread listing causes of engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2004, 06:15 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone point to thread listing causes of engine failure

A couple of years ago a thread ran on scoobynet which listed circumstances under which big end failure happened.

I was wondering what other measures could be taken to avoid engine damage. I was thinking of the oil cooler modification or possibly an upgraded oilpump.

I am not going to fit a knocklink which may appear unwise - however as this monitors det it does nothing to stop it happening.

I am running optimax and booster. I use a turbo timer. I do not use full boost until temp guage reads 95 degrees.

I dont bring the car up to top end speed. I prefer to bring it around the back roads so speed never tops 100.

Did Graham Goode offer a modification which offered a solution.
Old 23 May 2004, 06:21 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
I am not going to fit a knocklink which may appear unwise - however as this monitors det it does nothing to stop it happening.
But it allows you to back off if it does det, therefore saving your engine. My engine would have been toast last month if it wasn't for my knocklink, I was on the track concentrating and not paying much attention to my boost guage, when my Knocklink lit up like a christmas tree. So I backed off and looked down at my Greddy e-01, peak boost was 1.86bar!!!!!! If it wasn't for my knocklink I would have carried on merrily driving and blown my engine to pieces.