Notices

Adding Prodrive STi PPP d/pipe to WRX PPP

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2004, 10:03 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding Prodrive STi PPP d/pipe to WRX PPP

I have got my hands on the sport cat d/pipe fitted to PPP STis, together with a std STi up pipe.
I am tempted to put it on my MY04 PPP but :

1. Will it screw the warranty up given that they are already parts to another Subaru package?

2. Can the 04 WRX PPP take any more?
I have Dash info and can see I'm hitting 17.6 psi with 12.4 psi after 6000 rpm. Trace is available if anyone wants to comment. There is also a Dash RR session but it is a bit out (202 bhp @ wh, ambient 12 deg) compared to the PE RR output (265bhp/263 lbft - 182 @ wh, ambient 21 deg).

If both questions are not hurdles then is there anything else to add to avoid hiccups (larger hole on brass insert?)

I see Mr Wood is around this morning - any comments Mike particularly if there is any relation to what I'm doing compared with the US Stage 3 PPP?

Nick
Old 18 May 2004, 12:46 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr Wood would say NO. End of.

I'd guess that if you fit it you'll kiss your warrantee good bye. If you go ahead then you may as well have fitted any old de cat and a TEK3 in the first place. Sell the PPP and lose the warrantee if you need more power, which I guess you do or you wouldn't be asking these questions.

F
Old 18 May 2004, 12:46 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick

1. Yes, it will take your car outside warranty.

2. Yes, but at what cost?

We looked at doing exactly this but the commercial aspect just didn't stack up. The level that the car is at now is a good balance between parts changed (and therefore cost) and results achieved. Changing the up-pipe and downpipe would indeed potentially give an amount of extra performance and we do have the parts available as we use them elsewhere but we feel that other parts would need to be changed to get the best out of this spec.

With the current WRX PPP the injectors are starting to get fairly near the limit so the extra allowed by the exhaust parts wouldn't be supported by the injectors.
New injectors and fuel pump required....

The turbo is getting quite close to the edge of it's efficiency map and is basically starting to blow hot air rather than extra boost so
New turbo required....

Once you've done that is the intercooler really big enough? Does a bigger intercooler achieve what you need without the larger scoop that the STi has?
STi intercooler and scoop required....

This is before you address the concerns that could arise with getting 300/300 effectively onto the road with std suspension and if you do, how long before a major transmission part dies? And if you manage all that, how long are the brakes going to put up with stopping it?
Springs, dampers, brakes and tighter diffs required....

When you add all that little lot together as a project and think that for £27k you can buy a car with most of the issues addressed, 305ps and a warranty, the business case just doesn't stack up to spend loads of money proving it to ourselves.

Mike
Old 18 May 2004, 01:47 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike,

I was curious about how much headroom was left with the injectors and charge temp to cope with these added mods but if the warranty suffers then its academic..

So the bits will stay in the attic until the warranty is finished and I'll accumulate the finishing items along the way...I'm sure by then they'll be enough parts on the market at sensible prices or more at breakers parts.
The only problem with the car that's available with the spec you mention is that it isn't a wagon, at least not to a UK spec

Nick