Notices

Mooing/hooting/whining noise??

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 01:28 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mooing/hooting/whining noise??

Had a nice hard drive yesterday - loving the new top mounted intercooler giving me levels of boost I'd only ever got on ice cold days before, and the oil cooler keeping the oil temp down to nice 180 degrees (210 pre cooler)

Parked up round the corner from home to let her chill (neighbours don't like the exhaust note as much as me).
When I pulled away, nice and gently to trickle her home as normal there was a strange sound that I can best describe as a feint mooing or hooting type sound?

I've got her booked in for a service on Saturday anyway, so they're going to take a look for me just wondered if anyone else had ever experienced this and what the outcome was.
Knocklink, AFR and boost gauges all carried on doing what they were supposed to do and the car didn't feel much different - but as I say, I was only trickling home to keep her cool.

Am going to take her out for a short run tonight to see if she's still doing it - but would like to know if anyone else has had this noise and either a) had to rebuild the engine, b) found a 10p clip on a hose solved the problem or most likely somewhere in between.

Cheers.
Dan
Old 17 May 2004, 03:42 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Not parked up in a field somewhere? Plenty of sheep & cows around at the moment....

Could realistically be most things, best take it in & get the symptoms diagnosed...
Old 17 May 2004, 04:08 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

I have a whinney hooney noise too, i thought it was the aircon pump as it didn't actually work, but after taking off the belt the noise is still there I now think it maybe the power steering pump. Check your levels on the pump maybe that'll help???
Old 17 May 2004, 04:47 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get a sound like this when accellerating slowly and the boost is about zero. Started when I fitted the TD05 and Sti Intercooler to my MY02 WRX

All mapped by guru Bob Rawle OK.... so I Guess it's just the sound that the car makes.

Midlife.....
Old 17 May 2004, 05:22 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Just wanted to check it wasn't one of those common scooby faults that would kill my car.
Good to know that yours started when you got a new IC too, Midlife. And that neither yours or Krade's cars have blown up yet.
No mapping done yet - saving for a GEMS from Steve Simpson...

I'll take it easy during the week and get it checked out by those nice chaps at Xtreme Scoobies on Saturday... See you then, Knowlesy
Old 17 May 2004, 08:45 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darkblue:
I think you will find the reason for the noise is the blow-off/dump valve. Go to www.sidc.co.uk and search the FQA's.
As to the GEMS/Steve Simpson, I've driven an RA with this lot, you will not be dissapointed!
Old 17 May 2004, 11:03 PM
Akka
Scooby Regular

If you have a d/valve, it could be the spring or diaphram that has heated up or perished. I had a mate who girlfreinds seat leon turbo did this and he too described it as a mooing sound! Turned out that the d/valve spring was wrong.

John

Trending Topics

Old 18 May 2004, 01:03 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

my moneys on the standerd dump valve, mine was the same

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
replaced it, and it was all fixed
Old 18 May 2004, 12:27 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

Cheers 911 et al... Knew I'd read something somewhere. Hopefully that'll be all it is.

Will speak with Knowlsey on Saturday about possible replacement item (as long as it's a recirc, cos the pssssssssst would get on my nerves)

So what happens if the dump valve totally dies then? Does it just make the car ridiculously laggy until you get a replacement put on, or can it do bad scary things?

Last edited by darkblueturbo; 18 May 2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:39 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darkblue;
I always look at these thing as
'The factory put it there for a good reason as it costs £££££££££££. Leave it there'

I think it can give rise to issues as the function is lost at full boost to shed the pressure at full boost when changing gear. I broke mine a month back, the small pipe, DV to manifold fractured, the tick-over was cr*p. Everything has a pupose, substitute/ignore at your peril!

Keeping it recirc type is a good think in my opinion.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:47 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

There was never any doubt that whatever the problem is will be remidied straight away when found. I still gotta drive it Xtremes Saturday, just checking that it won't blow the engine up is all. No intention of hooning about with her anything less than perfect