help newbee

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2004, 08:32 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help newbee

hi all,
i own a 92 legacy turbo i have only just bought it but its having problems i want to sort it out myself but i don't know much about them.right the problem is if you give the car a boot full of throttle(as you do!)just as it comes up to boost the car just stops then lurches forward then stops and this continues untill you back off the throttle.please help oh yeah replaced the ecu this made it slightly better but only slightly turned the boost down and this helped just a little.
hope you can help,carl
Old 16 May 2004, 09:40 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

If the idle is uneven/erratic then the usual suggested fault is the MAF.
If that's ok then .... ?
Sorry
Old 16 May 2004, 09:46 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyr
If the idle is uneven/erratic then the usual suggested fault is the MAF.
If that's ok then .... ?
Sorry
the car idles fine and drives fine as long as you keep off the throttle when you do give it throttle its like hitting a wall it just stops.
Old 16 May 2004, 10:32 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What boost pressure is it running?

Sounds like boost/fuel cut!!
(ECU sees the boost is too high so cuts the fuel.)
Old 16 May 2004, 10:37 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

hi ,

fuel cut that sounds how the car feels the boost gauge is showing the car is peaking at half a bar.i don't know what it should be as this is my first subaru and only got it two days ago.
Old 17 May 2004, 10:33 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

JUST FOUND OUT THE TURBO ON THE CAR IS HYBRID SO GOING TO TRY A STANDARD ONE ALSO THERE IS SOME SORT OF VALVE I GUESS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE VEHICLE IT HAS THREE PIPES COMING OFF IT AND A PLUG BUT ITS BEEN DISCONECTED NOT AT THE PLUG BUT THERE IS NO PIPES ON IT.THE CAR ALSO HAS AN INDUCTION KIT BUT I WOULDN'T THINK THAT WOULD MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE.CAN ANY BODY SUGGEST ANYTHING ELSE TO TRY.
Old 17 May 2004, 10:53 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

What does the valve look like? (can you do photos?)
Could be the boost control solenoid, though don't think that should have a plug on it.

0.5 BAR is low!! That's safe mode boost.
Is the engine check light on? (on the dash)

Induction kit shouldn't affect the boost like this.

Do you know the history of the car? Were mods removed before you bought it?

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2004, 10:59 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

no engine check light i got the boost turned down so it was driveable at least.the boost solenoid that sounds like it.can do photos but left car in work today the solenoid if thats what it is looks round goldish in colour with two bolts fixing it a plug coming from the top with two wires coming from it and there is three pipe fittings on it one from the bottom the others from the side but like i say there is no pipes on them.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:55 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Wink

It sounds like the car has been fitted with a manual boost controller (This could explain the blanked solenoid with plug connected). When you say you turned the boost down, how did you do this?
If you look on the turbo outlet there should be a nipple which has a pipe connected to it, follow the pipe and see what it connects to?

Cheers
Old 20 May 2004, 10:19 AM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

Hi Carl.

What you are reffering to is the Waste Gaute actuator. This can also be used to alter boost? is this what you mean when you said "i got boost turned down" ? IE - did you or whoever turned down the boost use this?

I have a couple of pictures of your turbo - as i am the guy interested in PXing my standard unit for this one. Your turbo is a Garret T3. Modified to fit a legacy.

On the pictures i have i cannot see a manual boost controller fitted, it looks to me as if the car is using the standard boost control solenoid, all pipes are attached and appear to be connected correctly.

This problem, IE fuel cut is quite common it seems with only exhaust and air filter, and most say these two mods alone should not achieve that. But they do as their are loads of posts to testify.

Their are a few solutions: you can buy a MBC which controls boost manually and set that up below fuel cut, these are say 40 quid. you can also buy a chip for 150 which solves all these problems.

I am in contact with Simon about buying your turbo set up for my car and also swapping my standard unit ? are you still interested in that deal?
Old 20 May 2004, 06:39 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

hi yes still interested if you contact simon as he knows more about it than me going to order a manual boost controller.
Originally Posted by sideforce
Hi Carl.

What you are reffering to is the Waste Gaute actuator. This can also be used to alter boost? is this what you mean when you said "i got boost turned down" ? IE - did you or whoever turned down the boost use this?

I have a couple of pictures of your turbo - as i am the guy interested in PXing my standard unit for this one. Your turbo is a Garret T3. Modified to fit a legacy.

On the pictures i have i cannot see a manual boost controller fitted, it looks to me as if the car is using the standard boost control solenoid, all pipes are attached and appear to be connected correctly.

This problem, IE fuel cut is quite common it seems with only exhaust and air filter, and most say these two mods alone should not achieve that. But they do as their are loads of posts to testify.

Their are a few solutions: you can buy a MBC which controls boost manually and set that up below fuel cut, these are say 40 quid. you can also buy a chip for 150 which solves all these problems.

I am in contact with Simon about buying your turbo set up for my car and also swapping my standard unit ? are you still interested in that deal?
Old 20 May 2004, 07:04 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cool another Legacy newbie! Sorry of no use to the thread but thought i'd say hi!

Comper100
Old 20 May 2004, 08:35 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

hi to you to ha ha.

its my first subaru i always had renault turbos or cosworths thought it was time for something different,no offence to anyone but the imprezas are everywhere where i live and the legacy is a bit of a dark horse.for everyone who is trying to help me i just connected the test plugs for a bit and then disconnected them took the car for a run and the first time i floored it in 2nd no problem straight up to boost with no juddering but now the juddering or whatever it is has come back.maybe this will give someone a clue.

Originally Posted by Comper100
Cool another Legacy newbie! Sorry of no use to the thread but thought i'd say hi!

Comper100
Old 20 May 2004, 08:58 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Try reading the ECU error codes: http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....ding_ECU_Codes
Old 22 May 2004, 02:25 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

fao sideforce if your still interested in the garret please get in touch as i can get the car ready for the standard unit then.
Old 22 May 2004, 04:28 PM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

Hi Carl, I am still thinking about it. It is quite a job to get the stuff off my car and swapped, as it is in daily use. I am also considering going for a TD05 which i have one lined up at 150.

The Garret is a good turbo, but i am thinking it through mate..especially as i have just had a new chip into the ECU which has made the car, puurrfect. For now..So it is stage 2 so to speak i want the new turbo for. Ill let you know asap..
Old 22 May 2004, 06:40 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

somebody said to clean some sort of valve what are they talking about where is it what's the best way to clean it sorry for all the questions.
Old 23 May 2004, 01:31 AM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

No problem mate, im learning as i go along too.

The valve they are reffering to is the fatory fitted boost control valve. This is on the front of the drivers side suspension mount. It is the grey valve under the solenoid. It has three black pipes connected to it. The pipes run off to the turbo and the air intake.

To clean it is pretty easy by all accounts. Simply pull off the side and top tubes and spray some brake cleaner down them. Then start and drive the car. Thats it.

I would go for a Manual Boost Controller. Especially as your car is fitted with the Garret, as the ECU and boost control system you have is set for a different turbo, albeit pretty simialar. The MBC would allow you to set the required boost you want to have and does away with the boost control valve fitted as standard. Remember this is all ten years old tack, so it isnt going to be perfect anymore.

MBC's are pretty cheap, i just broought a GBE MK2, which is a good MBC for £22 quid on ebay. So it is a real good investment mate, and will alllow you to set the boost to a level bellow the boost cut you are getting.
Old 23 May 2004, 04:39 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

ok just been out to the car and it looks like this valve has no pipes going into it the pipe coming from the air intake has been blocked off the other two pipes i can't find so is this valve not used with the garret turbo or should i connect it up if so has anyone got any pics of it.thanks just know its something simple needs doing to the car so need to work out what.thanks sideforce just been on e bay and ordered the mbc.
Old 23 May 2004, 07:52 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Find the turbo outlet. There should be a pipe coming off it.. Where does it go?

I suspect you already have some form of boost controler fitted. Hence the std boost valve isn't connected.
It might be that what ever is controlling/not controlling the boost needs adjusting
Old 24 May 2004, 09:36 AM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, the pics that i have of the car and turbo show the pipes on the standard boost solenoid are connected, but i cannot see the boost control valve and pipes underneath it.

BUT the Garret has a totally different outlet so there is no nipple on the outlet. Have a look at the waste gate actuator, the round gold thing we talked about, where does the pipe that comes of this connect to? trace this one..and see where it goes.

And also while you are there where does the steel braided hose run to off the turbo?
Old 26 May 2004, 06:54 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

hi,

ok now i am starting to learn a bit you can't see boost control valve as its connected only by the electric plug the 3 pipe outlets have nothing on them.the standard boost solenoid then must be the litle solenoid on the drivers wing with two pipes coming from it one which has a t piece in it.if i am right is this the one i should be cleaning.will trace the waste gate actuator pipe tomorrow left the car in work again.the braided pipe if i remember correctly goes to the block fixed with a banjo bolt.also noticed the car will run fine when cold and plays up when warm any ideas anyone.

if anyone has time could they also try to explain exactly how fuel cut works please.

Old 27 May 2004, 08:00 AM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

got an mbc today so will fit it after work and see if i can get rid of the fuel cut.
Old 27 May 2004, 04:36 PM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

Hi Carl

Nope, the standard boost control valve is the one with the three pipes on it. If this has no pipes connected to it you must have some kind of other boost control on the car.

So BEFORE you fit the MBC trace the lines mentioned and let us know..as you may have a MBC in there already..
Old 27 May 2004, 07:02 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Hi Carl

Nope, the standard boost control valve is the one with the three pipes on it. If this has no pipes connected to it you must have some kind of other boost control on the car.

So BEFORE you fit the MBC trace the lines mentioned and let us know..as you may have a MBC in there already..
doesn't look like there is any form of mbc on the car the pipe from the turbo outlet goes straight to the wastegate actuator.the boost gauge is plumbed into the inlet manifold.
Old 27 May 2004, 08:14 PM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carlegacy
doesn't look like there is any form of mbc on the car the pipe from the turbo outlet goes straight to the wastegate actuator.the boost gauge is plumbed into the inlet manifold.
Hmm thats weird. On the standard car/turbo there is a pipe coming from the wastegate actuator and the turbo outlet back to the boost control valve. The other one at the bottom runs into the airbox.

If you have a straight connecting pipe check by feeling aling it to see if there is anything inside the pipe.

If there is nothing at all i cannot understand what is controlling boost on your car.

Are you fitting the MBC into this straight pipe?
Old 27 May 2004, 08:21 PM
sideforce
Scooby Regular

You might also want to have a wuick look around on the various scoob boards to see whare a bleed or something simialar valve could be fitted. There must be some kind of boost controll device.
Old 27 May 2004, 08:43 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Hmm thats weird. On the standard car/turbo there is a pipe coming from the wastegate actuator and the turbo outlet back to the boost control valve. The other one at the bottom runs into the airbox.

If you have a straight connecting pipe check by feeling aling it to see if there is anything inside the pipe.

If there is nothing at all i cannot understand what is controlling boost on your car.

Are you fitting the MBC into this straight pipe?
hi checked along this pipe there is nothing in it and yes this is the pipe i am fitting the mbc into.i do have a pipe coming from the air box which is blanked off.after fitting the mbc the car is a little better it used to play up after 4000revs now it doesnt until 5000 revs and the turbo spins up a lot faster.should i take out the mbc and put in theboost control valve and put the blanked off pipe on to this and see what happens if i should which pipe goes where.
thanks for your help i do appreciate this.i feel like i am getting somewhere now.
Old 27 May 2004, 09:24 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

There is a possibility that if you re-connect the standard 3-port boost solenoid the problem may be worse as the turbo isn't the original therefore the ECU's solenoid duty map probably will not suit the characteristics of the Hybrid turbo resulting in overboost (Possibly the reason it was not connected when you bought it)
When you say its 'plays up' @ 4 and 5k - what boost pressure are you seeing?

Cheers
Old 27 May 2004, 09:36 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Delboy2
There is a possibility that if you re-connect the standard 3-port boost solenoid the problem may be worse as the turbo isn't the original therefore the ECU's solenoid duty map probably will not suit the characteristics of the Hybrid turbo resulting in overboost (Possibly the reason it was not connected when you bought it)
When you say its 'plays up' @ 4 and 5k - what boost pressure are you seeing?

Cheers
i am only seeing between half a bar and three quarters bar which i wouldn't have thought is a lot.the boost gauge is plumbed into the inlet manifold don't know if thats accurate it was on the car when i got it.although the problem occurs after 4k rpm but only over half throttle if i hold the throttle about quarter on it will go straight up the revs no problem.if you rev it in neutral you can give full throttle and it will bounce of the limiter no problem tho that probably means nothing.

Quick Reply: help newbee