Notices

Car losing all electrical power!! Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2004, 02:05 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Car losing all electrical power!! Please help.

I am having some problems with my car and do not really know what is causing them.

Driving around on Satruday my battery warning light came on along with my handbrake light. Shortly after this all electrical equipment began to turn-off (e.g. Interior clock, stereo, electric windows, speedo, etc.). The car gradually ground to a halt and the engine cut-out. The engine was running fine up to this point.

I had the battery replaced by Kwik-Fit (the only place nearby to get it done) and once this had been done eveything seemed to be working fine.

The next day I had probably been in the car for at least a couple of hours and everything was working fine, however, the battery light was back on the whole time (I assumed it had not properly reset from the day before). Then the lights started coming on again: handbrake, abs, check engine!! all electrical power disappeared and the car eventually cut-out and would not start again.

Any ideas on what the problem could be and how much it might cost to correct would be really appreciated. Is it possible that the wrong battery has been put in?

The car is just over 3 years old and has only done 35k miles.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Si
Old 11 May 2004, 03:50 PM
codek
Scooby Regular

Just a guess - but it sounds like the alternator is not charging the battery to me...

Not necessarily an expensive repair..
Old 11 May 2004, 04:05 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Thanks codek. I have just spoken to Subaru and they came to a similar conclusion.
Old 11 May 2004, 04:19 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Do you have a voltmeter/multi tester?....This might give you some clues...Sounds like Codek could be right about the alternator...If you put a previously charged battery in a car with an alternator thats not charging then it ( the battery) would run the electrics for a while until it lost its charge...This sounds like your problem,but a voltmeter would confirm it...Battery volts should be upwards of 12.6 on a charged battery...with the engine running that should increase to around 14...
Most alternators can be repaired...The regulators and diode packs are usually replacable...but it may not be worth it if you've got a fair mileage on the alternator...
Lastly,don't run the engine with the connection to the alternator disconnected...it'll wreck it!...
Old 11 May 2004, 05:48 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

i had the same problem as you found out the battery was not connected securely properly at the terminals make sure terminals and connections are clean and screwed properly
Old 11 May 2004, 05:53 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Would have thought that the battery end terminals would be ok if he's had new battery fitted...