Notices

How to set up knocklink ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 02:54 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to set up knocklink ?

Just fitted knocklink to my RA today. Just wondering what sensitivity to set it at. I know it says in the instructions but just want to be sure. Think max is too much ???
Old 09 May 2004, 03:22 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the majority of people leave the KL set to max sensitivity.I have set mine to max on my STi and i can only get the first green to flicker,although when you tap the sensor all the lights light up so thats how i know mine is set up correctly.
Old 09 May 2004, 03:45 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

I was getting two lights at 5000 rpm on max so think it should be turned down as higher revs I even saw red!!!

Tried tapping block and did not light at all !
Old 09 May 2004, 04:50 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Would suggest that it isn't tight against the block / mounted in the right place then? Ideal place seems to be on top of the bellhousing: gives best attenuation of engine rattles, but still detects the det. To be honest, though, it sounds like you may be getting a bit of det.
Old 09 May 2004, 07:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mad Hammer
Just fitted knocklink to my RA today. Just wondering what sensitivity to set it at. I know it says in the instructions but just want to be sure. Think max is too much ???
No. Unless you have access to a set of det cans (and someone who knows what to listen for), leave it set to max and, assuming that the microphone is properly located, assume that lights are det.

I was getting two lights at 5000 rpm on max so think it should be turned down as higher revs I even saw red!!!
Erm, what's the point of fitting a device like this when you ignore what it tells you? If your burglar alarm went off, would you phone the police and have a look round, or simply turn it off and go back to bed?

Check the location of the mic by all means, but until/unless you can confirm by other means, take it that your engine is detting, and drive accordingly. Have you tried adding more octane booster to see if the activity on the KnockLink reduces?
Old 09 May 2004, 09:07 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Filled it up with a tank of optimax and a bottle of millers and have driven a good few miles to let it get in the system as it were, only got car yesterday and don't know what fuel was in it but I know the guy used millers as he gave me a bottle.

I can now run it to 6000 with only one light flickering but have not taken it further than that.

I am confussed to why I did not get lights when tapped near the sensor though. Also instruction say run to 75% max power and should only get one light, that's why I said about turning the meter down as I was getting a solid two green. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. Sorry.

If it does continue to rise up the meter what's the solution as it's a 98 car that can't be re-mapped or so I'm told.

Cheers

Clive

ps I mounted it as per instructions I found on here, under intercooler and used the same place as where the earthing lead is mounted. I put it on top of that with a longer bolt.

Last edited by Mad Hammer; 09 May 2004 at 09:17 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09 May 2004, 09:17 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mad Hammer
Filled it up with a tank of optimax and a bottle of millers and have driven a good few miles to let it get in the system as it were...
I can now run it to 6000 with only one light flickering but have not taken it further than that.
If the KnockLink activity reduced after you added the octane booster, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that the KnockLink was indeed reporting genuine det.

I am confussed to why I did not get lights when tapped near the sensor though.
Depends where you tapped, what you used, and how heavily you tapped. A fairly smart rap with a hammer, or something like the wheelbrace supplied in the toolkit of your car, should register on the KnockLink display.

If it does continue to rise up the meter what's the solution as it's a 98 car that can't be re-mapped or so I'm told.
Forget which it is, but one of PowerStation or Power Engineering offer a daughterboard based solution for the MY97 and MY98 cars. Beyond that, you could fit an aftermarket mappable ECU like the Link, MoTeC or GEMS products, or simply stick to using octane booster on an ongoing basis.
Old 09 May 2004, 09:21 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise greasemonkey.

Have emailed a good few people who offer maps but all have said they can't do it, checked this all out before buying car. Tried Powerstation, TSL and the likes.

Clive
Old 09 May 2004, 09:38 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It's Power Engineering then, give them a try if you haven't yet done so.
Old 09 May 2004, 09:46 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Thanks again. Will do if I haven't I will go through all my replies to see exactly who I mailed.

PS. Where I metioned earlier in the thread about where I placed it, is that okay ?

Clive