***Fueling problem***

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2004, 09:15 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ***Fueling problem***

Hi All

I have just picked up my car (MY96 uk turbo) from the bodyshop and it's not fueling as it did. (Dawes AFR always showed Blue light at WOT and now it only shows red!!!!). I'm suspecting that someone may have knocked off a vacuum hose somewhere. Also the idle is a bit unstable....

I have had a look around under the bonnet and am not sure what's supposed to be where.

So Question 1. What is the small brown/orange unit above the standard boost control solenoid?

Question 2. Does anyone have pictures of what it looks like normally (what hoses go where?) that they could post?

Question 3. I have had a GEMs ECU fitted and have the 3 bar boost solenoid, does anyone know if this effects the piping to the above unit?

Sorry for all the questions but am in a bit of a worry as I don't want to risk killing the car!

Thanks for any help

Ade
Old 29 April 2004, 09:35 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Ade, it could be something to do with the anti lag switch if you have it fitted?

Disconnect it and see if it cures the idle.

On mines, the anti lag used to feel as though it was still slightly on, even though it was switched off.
I disconnected the brand new switch and it was fine.
Old 29 April 2004, 09:38 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm not sure it can be anything to do with the install as it's been in for months with no problems. This has only been a problem since I picked it up from the bodyshop. Hence the thought maybe a vacuum hose or something similar?

Ade
Old 29 April 2004, 09:59 AM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Hi Ade, you could also try listening for a hissing when the engine is ideling, if a vacuum hose is off you should be able to hear it; so it should be fairly easy to find.
Old 29 April 2004, 10:11 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Scoty

I'll try that later the main problem is that with the blitz air fiter that does make a rather loud sucking noise at idle anyway, but now with the idle wandering slightly it's even louder!

I'll try and get some form my super ears on for tonight!

Ade
Old 29 April 2004, 11:00 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

The fact it's doing this since coming back from the body shop could be coincidental. Did they need to get under the bonnet?

Do you have a boost gauge? Would be curious if an excessive amount of boost is causing the problem. Although in theory, you'd hit fuel cut if it were that (unless you have a FCD fitted).

It could be a split in the induction tract (after the MAF sensor but before the turbo).

The MAF could have died. It's worth trying the 2 quick MAF tests...
- Disconnect the MAF whilst engine is warm idle. If it stalls, MAF probably OK. If no change, MAF probably failing.
- Reset ECU. If idle OK and general driving OK, MAF probably OK. If idle all over the place, and lumpy driving, MAF probably failing.

Do you have a Knocklink fitted? If not, don't drive the car hard until you've sorted this. Det is almost a certainty if the Dawes is indicating a lean AFR at WOT...
Old 29 April 2004, 11:22 AM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Judge

I guess it could be a coincidence but it just seems a little too much of one for my liking. Yes the bonnet and front bumper and drivers side wing were all off and resprayed so they could have disturbed something.

The boost was hitting the normal (1.3 bar) possibley not as stable as before (I did think it was wandering a touch). I think if I remember rightly that the maf is no longer used with the GEMs as it uses a temp sensor in the intercooler?

I suppose the Lamba sensor could be to blame?? I think I'll try an ecu reset and see what happens.

Ade
Old 29 April 2004, 11:39 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

this is wots happening to mine now and then soon i i hit boost it bangs flames farts i can just about run off boost.and iam running a gems as well
Old 29 April 2004, 12:01 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Ahh, sorry, forget about the GEMS. It uses MAP along with engine speed, but can also use MAF as well, if that was requested when installed. Did you instal it/have it installed...?

It could be your lambda that's knackered, and is telling you things are lean when in fact they're not. What activity do you get on the Dawes AFR at idle, cruise, etc? Is it constantly red?

I take it you don't have a Knocklink then...
Old 29 April 2004, 12:06 PM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No no knocklink as yet.... Was trying to hold out for the gauge one that was supposed to appeared a while back (don't like the big black box one). Probably not a good reason as I know they're good to prevent engine destruction.

Apart from the idle and the very slight boost wandering the car felt and seemed to drive about normal (obviously not going nuts as afr reading wasn't right).

Just was wondering if anyone knows of something that if disturbed could have this effect?

Ade
Old 29 April 2004, 12:10 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Did you fit the GEMS yourself...?
Old 29 April 2004, 12:13 PM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Good god no! Wouldn't have a clue! Hence the question about what should be where?

Ade
Old 29 April 2004, 12:16 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

So it's quite possible the previous owner had it configured to use both the MAP and MAF inputs...?
Old 29 April 2004, 12:21 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

Not much should have changed under the bonnet since the GEMS went in.

A 3 BAR map sensor has probably been fitted and most likely an air temp sonsor will have been fitted too.

Dont think it will be anything to do with the air temp sensor though, you can usualy disconnect it to take off a pre set amount of degrees of ignition for days when you get a bad batch of fuel.
If a hose was off the MAP sensor it would probably be almost undrivable, especially with the GEMS
Old 29 April 2004, 12:27 PM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Sorry Judge

Yes I had the gems fitted but no I did not fit it myself. I'm not sure whether or not the MAF was set to be not used??

Ade
Old 29 April 2004, 12:27 PM
Scoty
Scooby Regular

GEMS doesn't use Lambda sensor either
Old 29 April 2004, 12:34 PM
ademid
Scooby Regular

OK now I'm really confused!

Ade