URGENT HELP! ERRATIC IDLING

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2004, 05:51 PM
blackwood
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question URGENT HELP! ERRATIC IDLING

Hi All,
I have a twin turbo Legacy which is idling erraticly,the car starts,runs and drives fine,but I have been told there may be a fault with the MAF sensor,I would appreciate any second opinions,and also any suggestions as to where would be the best place to get one.Any phone nos. would be real handy too..
Thanks for taking the time to read this,and thanks in advance for your comments..
Regards Blackwood
Old 23 April 2004, 10:23 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Blackwood,

If your car is of the BE/BH era (you have a GT-B IIRC?) the MAF is a known weak point. It is the self same unit that resides in the MY99/00 UK Impreza turbos.

A replacement should be able to be sourced from any dealer (just don't mention you have an import ). Part number appears on any number of threads on this topic.

Until you have the new unit in (or have a chance to try another that is known to be OK), stay off the loud pedal IMHO. The MAF when it starts reading off oft under reads leading to over lean situations (then det, tears etc). Investing in a knocklink can't be a bad idea IMHO.

Best of luck with getting it sorted
Old 23 April 2004, 11:50 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

My Evo did this and the eventual cure was replacing the ECU (a little extreme - but the ECU had a fault and wouldn't hold mappings for long), does it get worse / better depending on the weather?
Old 23 April 2004, 11:50 PM
blackwood
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply,very appreciated.My car is a Dec '98 ,so '99 model,I've seen the part number on here somewhere (Ithink) as;22794AA010 but will pull mine off in the morning to double check.Hopefully I've caught it before any damage,not sure what a "knocklink" is though..Please excuse my ignorance....
Old 23 April 2004, 11:59 PM
blackwood
Scooby Newbie

Hi again,
Weather doesn't seem to make any difference,car drives as normal,but just feels like it wants to stall when coming to rest after a run (not necessarily thrashing),though it doesn't actually cut out (it's an auto),and then the idle speed bobs up and down between 500 and 1000rpm.Other than this everything seems normal!!
Cheers for your thoughts,if the MAF sensor is a known weak point and gives the symptoms I appear to have,then I guess this has to be my first step...
Anyone any idea where I need to be shopping for one? and how much can I expect to be relieved of?
Thanks again for your help....appreciated
Best regards Blackwood
Old 24 April 2004, 05:57 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

70 quid-ish from any dealer. Don't get the same part as is on it, the replacement part is upgraded and "should" be more robust.

Anyway, the MAF is step one - check your airfilter while you are at it. A nice clean, new one may be in order too. And if you have one of those 'orrible mushroom shaped things, try to get a std airbox on coz they can kill our MAFs faster than I can type

As I said the first time, they are a dealer item, no one else is likely to stock them. 70 to 80 quid is mentioned in the many posts on the MAF topic.
Old 24 April 2004, 11:16 AM
blackwood
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Thanks for your help guys,just been to local main dealer,£66 all in,bunged a new air filter (standard) in as well for good measure.Normality has now been restored.
Once again,thanks for your invaluable help!!
Best regards Blackwood