Notices

What to put into my 12ltr water tank to stop it getting green gunk in it?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2004, 10:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question What to put into my 12ltr water tank to stop it getting green gunk in it?

Ok as most of you know i own a Spec C but i have a little problem, it has a 12ltr water tank in the boot, and no doubt given enough time it will start to get the green fungus stuff forming, now as this sprays onto the engine i dont really want to put something like methonol alcohol in there, would screen wash suffice to stop the green stuff??

Tony
Old 17 April 2004, 10:43 AM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ok as most of you know i own a Spec C but i have a little problem, it has a 12ltr water tank in the boot, and no doubt given enough time it will start to get the green fungus stuff forming, now as this sprays onto the engine i dont really want to put something like methonol alcohol in there, would screen wash suffice to stop the green stuff??

Tony
Try using boiled water rather than straight from the tap....

All the best
Pete
Old 17 April 2004, 10:51 AM
BigGuy
Scooby Regular

I use filtered water. Also a tank of water lasts me only a couple of days because of the automatic spray
Old 17 April 2004, 12:16 PM
lone wolf
Scooby Regular

You can get an additive used in fishtanks and the like...green algae control....copper sulphate...might suggest you ask if its ok to use for the purpose that you want to use it for, but seeing as you put a very tiny amount into the water, it shouldn't cause a problem...best ask someone in the know first tho
Old 17 April 2004, 02:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It only gets sprayed onto the intercooler so it sounds as though it could be a good idea

Tony

PS, i would put distilled water in but it would take me a day to boil it all up, let it cool down again (considering that 12ltrs is around 2.5 gallons its quite an ammount!)
Old 17 April 2004, 03:21 PM
lone wolf
Scooby Regular

The copper sulphate additive is called... Green Algae Control, made by King British and available from pet shops and garden centers with fish sections for £3.99 for 100ml, you put 1ml to 2 gallons of water, about once a fortnight.
Old 17 April 2004, 05:40 PM
ST AYE
Scooby Regular

I have a spec C myself . Only use distilled or boiled water, having access to limitless free deionised water helps .
I would'nt use tap water from my part of the world, as the carbonates in the water will eventually block the spray jets.
Same goes for copper sulphate, did you ever grow copper sulphate crystals from solution in science lessons when you were at school.
Old 17 April 2004, 05:45 PM
lone wolf
Scooby Regular

In the dilution that is used for fishtanks and ponds, there won't be any damage done to things sprayed with the water...
Old 17 April 2004, 05:52 PM
ST AYE
Scooby Regular

Doesnt matter how dilute the solution is, as the spray leaves the jets the copper sulphate will precipitate out of solution. Some will end up on the intercooler, some will collect on the jets.
The only effect the concentration of the solution will have, is on the rate of material deposited.
Old 17 April 2004, 06:11 PM
lone wolf
Scooby Regular

Its a very very minute solution as used in fish tanks to keep green algae down, its 1ml per 2 gallons of water...hardly enough to notice but does the job very very well...stops formation of green algae in contained water, does not collect on jets or anything else...my tank has 14 tiny jets and I been using the additive for 6 months now and no deposits have occurred.
Old 17 April 2004, 06:17 PM
stu8v
Scooby Regular

screen wash contains methonal alcohol, you could put half a capfull or sodium hypochlorite in (bleach).
Old 17 April 2004, 06:32 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as the boot is dark algae will not grow very well?
Old 17 April 2004, 07:16 PM
lone wolf
Scooby Regular

Algae is one of the most annoying things cos it doesn't actually need light to grow and mature and spread.
Old 17 April 2004, 11:22 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

buy a britta water filter or 3 and mod them so they drip into a bucket or sumthing and leave them under a slow running tap
Old 18 April 2004, 10:37 AM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what about something like milton cleaning stuff used for babies bottles etc? would this stop it???
Old 18 April 2004, 11:25 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Put a Pleco in there?

Sorry I'll get my coat....
Old 18 April 2004, 12:21 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt use copper sulphate overtime it will block up your jets, definatly not bleach might damage your paint ovetime aswel i would go for filtered water, but distilled water is the best luckly i work in a science we got a massive ion exchange barrels
Old 18 April 2004, 06:52 PM
ST AYE
Scooby Regular

Lone wolf, the reason the copper sulphate does not block the jets in you fish tank, is that the water from the spraybar (in your fishtank) is at low pressure. Consequently the water droplets are either very large or non existant.

However the water spray system on the intercooler, has been designed such that the water exiting the jets is at a relativley high pressure. This causes a fine spray of water, with relativley small droplets.
The reason for this, is that when the small water droplets come into contact with the intercooler, the water evaporates (very quickly). This results in the cooling of the surface from which the water has evaporated.

Furthermore a fish tank is a relatively humid environment, this would tend to help keep the copper sulphate in solution. I think that you will find that under the bonnet of your average scoob, the air is far from humid